Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Electro 35 GSN Shots - Don't Laugh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Electro 35 GSN Shots - Don't Laugh Reply with quote

Well I finally got the roll of Fuji Superia 200 back that I shot in the Yashica Electro 35 GSN. Not happy with the results Crying or Very sad but it is not the fault of the film or the camera. I take full responsibility. I was not wearing my glasses when shooting with this camera, I have the diopter adjusted on my D3 so I can shoot without glasses and I always forget to wear them when using another camera. Enough of the excuses. These are the best I could come up with. They are all crops from the images provided on the CD from the lab. I am going to scan the negs myself to see if I can salvage any. I will use it as a test of my scanner Very Happy

Trust me when I tell you, that in this instance a smaller photo is better. You will not see these in the Oversize Gallery!

These shots were taken with focus set to infinity, not very sharp.

These were focused by my eyes, even less sharp.

I will say that I find shooting with a rangefinder to be both frustrating and fun at the same time. I will add the photos that I scan into this thread later in the week. I have a long way to go to get to the quality that Carsten and Attila have posted recently, but at least I now have a goal Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap thrue another roll Mike
If you find the focus is off even though you are sure you have the Contrast spot perfectly aligned.
The RF may need adjustment.
I can walk you thrue it or you can send it to me.
It's easy and a good chance to clean out the Rangefinder/Viewfinder.
You will be shocked how much better those things focus when clean and well adjusted Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Snap thrue another roll Mike
If you find the focus is off even though you are sure you have the Contrast spot perfectly aligned.
The RF may need adjustment.
I can walk you thrue it or you can send it to me.
It's easy and a good chance to clean out the Rangefinder/Viewfinder.
You will be shocked how much better those things focus when clean and well adjusted Cool

And when wearing glasses Laughing

Thanks Andy.
I am also going to use a tripod for a couple of infinity focus shots, just as a check. I will also brace the camera better when shooting, there may have been a little shake Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be shake on a couple of them for sure
If the under light turns on the camera is at a 1/30 so at that point you know you will need to open up or tripod up.
The tripod and infinity shooting is a good idea. You may have a poor copy. Also check the lens for fungus.
Lock the shutter switch while in bulb mode and use a flashlight from the film compartment side to check the front.
And then from the front side to check the back.
These guys can get a spidy growing in behind the shutter that will be hard to see without this checkup.
It is easily cleaned if you find one. Once again I can walk you thru it or you can post it on over.
Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones, Mike, hope to see more!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus is one thing, composition is another one. And the composition of these pics is much better than the focus!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb colors and bokeh is more important than perfect focus
I like the composition and colors of the first 2, like painting

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the first two have great composition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That no.2 is good - leave your glasses off more often when doing landscapes Smile
I run into the same problem sometimes - if my specs are a bit out of position the focus isn't quite good. Hey, it's an easy and cheap way of getting a portrait lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement.

I got lucky with the composition of the first shot, that is a full frame shot.
I had to find the photo in the other shots. Rangefinders take some getting used to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I have exactly the same problem as you, and 95% of my shots are similarly OOF, but with poorer composition than yours! A viewfinder magnifier and an angled viewer didn't help much, but a +1 Diopter Lens for the Spotmatic viewfinder has been really useful. Look for correction or diopter lenses.

If the lens on your camera was turned to the infinity stop, the pics should have been in focus, notwithstanding your eyes or the rangefinder adjustment. I'm thinking something else must be wrong but I don't know this camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than left on front cap Embarassed I love first shoot.