Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DALLMEYER WIDE ANGLE ANASTIGMAT 4 1/4" F/6.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: DALLMEYER WIDE ANGLE ANASTIGMAT 4 1/4" F/6.5 Reply with quote

Just scored this little beauty.

According to what I can find it's acceptably sharp from f:11 upwards and the f:6.5 is purely for focusing, which is quite common on lenses of that era.
I believe it's a Dialyte type, so has some inherent weakness and drawbacks, but the price wasn't too bad and if I work within its limitations, results should be ok.

It works out at 108mm, which on 4x5 is the equivalent of 35mm w/a on 35mm format.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, you outbid me on that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! Looks a rare bird!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should cover 5x7 I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This should cover 5x7 I think.

It does, according to what I find about it - there's a listing on cameraeccentric
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/dallmeyer_2.html - amusingly, it has a name, "Genar".

Btw, I'm looking for a 135mm in shutter, if you have any decent ones ready for sale. I saw you had a Wollensak in Rapax last week, but I just missed out on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera are you putting it on? I wanted to use it to replace the crappy lens on an ancient folder that I was going to convert to shoot panoramic 120 instead of the original postcard format.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a Wollensak 135 Raptar in Rapax available.
I sold it but its coming back because the buyer didn't like the condition of the front element.
I think its decent enough for use if not cosmetically ideal.
Send me a PM if you are interested.

I have some other 135's. I may have a spare Tessar in Compur available at some point, as I have to do aperture repairs on a couple of them.

If you want a cheap 135, you can find one on ebay with a bit of looking. There are usually a few there in old Compur dial-set shutters or on old plate cameras. If you are willing to accept a doppelanastigmat (4 elements airspaced, like the Rodenstock Eurynar or Steinheil Unofocal) you could get a bargain as they aren't as desirable as Tessars or Xenars. They are at least as sharp as any Tessar generally, the only problem is somewhat lower contrast. On the plus side these can often be separated and the components used independently. Some plate cameras have dual scales for that reason.

Another cheap source - look for Kodak 2A's, these have 130mm lenses, The "specials" can have nice ones, like Bausch&Lomb license made Tessars.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find, look forward to see what you are mounting this up in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
Very nice find, look forward to see what you are mounting this up in.

One of these...

Lovely pieced of kit - it might be nearly 80 years old,but the fit and finish is like it just left the factory. If I could afford it, I'd buy one of the later ones, but this one was cheaper because it had been orphaned and stuck in the 9x12 era.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful camera to attach a very fine lens, a fun project.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my !

Thats quite a find !
Not common at all, and it looks like its in great shape.

Takes the regular 9x12 rail type film holders does it ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Oh my !

Thats quite a find !
Not common at all, and it looks like its in great shape.

Takes the regular 9x12 rail type film holders does it ?

I was lucky, I suppose - it was languishing on ebay.de and nobody else was interested as it was 9x12. I got it cheap for a Linhof because it wasn't 4x5 and there seemed to be no way of converting it. I wasn't really all that interested in converting it, because I'd already been using 9x12 B&W and had no intention of using colour in it anyway.
As it turns out, from digging around on the 'net, there is a way of converting it, but the likelihood of acquiring the 4x5 rotating back to fit that (of later make) is slim to negligible, at least at any sensible price.

The Linhof holders are similar to others, but sturdier. Strangely enough, I had no problem gathering them as a seller bunged some in with other holders, since he reckoned they might be of some use to me - that was a year before I bought this Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not all that hard to make a 9x12-4x5 adapter, though you may end up using just a portion of the 4x5 film.
Basically you get a piece of board the size of your chosen 4x5 back, cut a square hole in it 9x12 size, and screw in a pair of brass rails on the camera side to match the slots in the back. Attach a 4x5 back on the other side, and glue strips of velvet wherever they seem to be needed.

I have a couple of ready made 9x12 - 3 1/4x4 1/4 spring back adapters, there were quite a few sold in the US in the 1930's-1940's, very sturdy aluminum things. These let you use the common wooden two sided Speed Graphic holders. 3 1/4x4 1/4 really is the corresponding size to 9x12, not 4x5.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did a conversion back for a 9x12 using an old unloved back and a Graflex spring back - it turned out ok, but I'd do it differently if I were doing it again. Turned out the 4x5 was almost fully useable as it's further back and the front standard is further back on the rails too, so as long as the coverage of the lens is good enough 4x5 is quite worthwhile.
Apart from that, I doubt I could find 3 1/4x4 1/4 these days and I really don't want to get into another size.
Hmm... turns out it's rare, but still around...
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/60059-3-1-4-x-4-1-4-film-availability.html
Mind you, that was three years ago.