Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop-M1 85mm f1.2 night vision lens long thread!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody! I'm new here on this great site (although I'm visiting it already quite long) and I've just registered here to get some help to my Cyclop 85 1,2. According to your opinion I have the "unusable" version of Cyclop M1 with that long rear-lens protrusion:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
No, different lens, it's not based on the Helios-40. the unusable one had a long protrusion at the back, this doesn't and has a different optical formula, although we don't know what formula it has.

I've found via internet two solutions to adapt it:
1. To use M42 macro rings to "hide" the protrusion in it - but there will focusing on infinity lost
2. To remove the protrusion with metal saw like in this italian forum (edit: see the link in the post below)

What is your opinion to the second solution? According to that italian site, there is no problem to remove the protrusion. But I am a bit sceptical, since there is a lens in the protrusion and removing it will change the optical formula. Do you know which funktion has this rear-lens? Did someone else use the second solution and cutted away the protrusion with metal saw?

I hope for some help here!
Thank you in advance,
VicTor

Last edited by Vic Tor on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link doesn't work due to antispam measures.

I post the link of the italian forum :

http://www.canonclubitalia.com/public/forum/85mm-f-1-2-Russo-su-corpi-Canon-t148296.html

About the sawing solution.
It seems infinity is kept but min focusing distance is about 5 meters. To take his photos he had to add macro extension tubes.
I'm wondering wether it could be possible or not to cement the rear lens into the sawed back hole ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, I will delete the link in my previous post.

Yes it is possible to take the lens out the rear-protrusion and if you're mechanically minded to fix it on the back hole. But is it just so easy? It will have than different optical distanse to the front lens-group.

Anyway, I wonder why it works without rear-lens at all!? What is it otherwise good for? Is it just for any distortion correction or something like this?

Sorry for perhaps stupid questions, I have really no clue about how optical systems in objectives are working.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens did work well without rear-protrusion I could simple screw it off, working distance was long enough for full size human portrait, infinity is irrelevant with a fast lens like this. If I need infinity I use another photographic lens,keep in mind this lens made for night vision devices not for photography. I think rear-protrusion purpose only to get better usage for a night vision device.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My lens did work well without rear-protrusion I could simple screw it off, working distance was long enough for full size human portrait, infinity is irrelevant with a fast lens like this. If I need infinity I use another photographic lens,keep in mind this lens made for night vision devices not for photography. I think rear-protrusion purpose only to get better usage for a night vision device.

Wise and the raw truth ! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Well, I will probably saw the protrusion away as well. Attila can You handle this lens better now? Can You post in your opinion the best portrait made with it (wide open, without cardboard aperture)? Could be nice for me to get some more courage and motivation for such serios "amputation".

Another possibility wich is coming in my mind right now, is to place the protrusion into the camera close enough to the sensor (smth. around 8mm if I measured it correct). I have A77 and I can theoretically remove the SLT-mirror so it will be not on the way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens was 1.2 and removal was reversible, wasn't serious any time I could screw it back. Lens require carefully subject selections, but worth to have it as special lens for some shoots , not for all. I sold mine after test it was friend of mine property I just got it to try , test and sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another solution is to sell it and buy the 1.4. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast glas is always fun to play with Smile
Nice shots!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cyclops 85/1.2.
Well, I've just dragged mine out again and fiddled with it; with protrusion on and off.
Using extension tubes, the protrusion in place, the minimum focal distance is about four inches, the max is about eight inches.
Without the protrusion and a shortened extension tube (there's still a bit sticking out the back and I didn't want it hitting anything in the camera) the max f.d. increased to four feet and the minimum to about 1ft.
I've no intention of taking a hacksaw to this lens, but the securing screws are like plastic and I have to drill them out - a job I'll get around to sometime. In the meantime it's actually a decent closeup lens - with that huge front element it makes indoor lighting and focusing a snap. I think I'll keep it for that.
When I get the end piece off entirely I believe it might focus to infinity but its macro capability will be gone - I've got plenty of other lenses that are fantastic for infinity focus, what do I need another one for?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here have samples of photos taken with this lens fully intact. Macro is fine. I am looking at getting one to adapt to Leica M mount, no mirror problem with the protrusion. Still not sure if it would cover full 35mm format but it would be nice to see what the IQ is like with all the glass intact. Thanks!