Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Custom Focus Split Screens for most DSLR Available Now!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am very interested in one for my upcoming D200 also. I am wondering if there are any focus/exposure problem with AF lenses vs the stock one?

Thanks Alex for bring out great products!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, two questions:

1- does your screen have also the microprism collar, or only the split-screen?

2- would it be possible to have a screen only with microprism circle in center, no split screen? I don't really use the split screen, while I find the microprism circle the best tool.

I am interested in a screen for the old 5D.

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exe163 wrote:
Hi, I am very interested in one for my upcoming D200 also. I am wondering if there are any focus/exposure problem with AF lenses vs the stock one?

Thanks Alex for bring out great products!

There are no focus problems with split screens.
However *** i am not sure with Nikon *** the spot metering may be off.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Alex, two questions:

1- does your screen have also the microprism collar, or only the split-screen?

2- would it be possible to have a screen only with microprism circle in center, no split screen? I don't really use the split screen, while I find the microprism circle the best tool.

I am interested in a screen for the old 5D.

thanks!

I currently only stock the splitscreens with microprism (mainly Minolta splitscreens), however any focus screen can be customized. If you want a screen without split screen, could you refer one to me and i can see if i can get it locally and then customize it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cledry wrote:
Nothing for any Lumix or Olympus models? Cameras like my Lumix L1 really could benefit from this, though I think installation is tricky.

Olympus i have, but need to know the specific model. Oly E1 is hard to make.

Panasonic L1 i need to ask.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about calibrating? Does it need calibrating by shims after installing? I have cheap chinese split screen for my Nikon D80. Do you think that your screen has better quality than my? Is it worth me to replace it for yours?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

I currently only stock the splitscreens with microprism (mainly Minolta splitscreens), however any focus screen can be customized. If you want a screen without split screen, could you refer one to me and i can see if i can get it locally and then customize it.

Alex, I don't know of any existing product. Katz Eye used to make screens with microprisms circle only, but they don't make it anymore.
What my screen would ideally be is like this:

As you can see, there would be a central circle full with microprisms (no split), and two lines that cross in the middle, to help with keeping camera straight.

If possible, please find a screen like this (or if you know someone who produces screens, please ask him if it's possible to have it made).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If possible, please find a screen like this (or if you know someone who produces screens, please ask him if it's possible to have it made).

I've seen your message too late and I'm not home for the weekend to check but I am pretty sure the Minolta SRT101 has the screen you need (microprism only and *very* bright).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Katz Eye screen was modified from a Canon EC-A screen intended for the EOS-1 series camera (film or digital) Wink

Orio wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Alex, I don't know of any existing product. Katz Eye used to make screens with microprisms circle only, but they don't make it anymore.

As you can see, there would be a central circle full with microprisms (no split), and two lines that cross in the middle, to help with keeping camera straight.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Canon Ec-a's a definite possibility. "Focusingscreen.com" also use the Ec-a Canon focusing screen, which is a laser matte, with a microprism centre. The list of official compatibility (from a quick google search) is: " EOS 1Ds, 1Ds MK II, EOS 1, 1N, 1N-RS, 1V, EOS 3 and D2000".

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Alex, can you provide a reliable one for my Canon EOS 10D?

Thanks!.

Jes.

Jes ... i will have it made for you.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
hi alex,

is it also available for film/analog cameras?
i am thinking of my eos 30!

Yes, EOS 30 is possible!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cledry wrote:
Nothing for any Lumix or Olympus models? Cameras like my Lumix L1 really could benefit from this, though I think installation is tricky.

Installation will be very tricky for the Olympus 300/300/E1 and the Lumix L1.
Therefore, professional installation is strongly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Orio on this one! Microprism only would be awesome.
Canon EC-A or Nikon F6-J are both microprism only Very Happy

If you can make one for Canon 40D, let me know!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex

+1 for Microprism only.
If I could have a screen like the original Contax RTS it would be perfect.
Even though that one did not have the segmentation that Orio brings up (that of course would be even better).

The split screen in the example you sent me for review really is distracting upon first use.
I need to spend more time with it before I write a full review.
This I can say. It is accurate to f2 Very Happy.
I get the same focus as my happypage HK adapter using Planar 1.4/85.

Once to f1.4 it seems that the micro callar and split screen front focus a bit ( the AF confirm chip is not any better at wide open.

Can shimming help this? I don't think I would bother but maybe some guys would.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another one- it's for the Nikon F3. It's a G1 screen and it's supposed to be ideal for low light situations. This may be a good alternative. I found one on ebay for $9.99 Click here to see on Ebay

I would be a willing lab rat on this Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Once to f1.4 it seems that the micro callar and split screen front focus a bit ( the AF confirm chip is not any better at wide open.

I think it's physically impossible for a focus screen per se to be BF or FF. My guess is, like the case was with my KatzEye screen in my K20D, if it's front focusing, that's the problem with the camera, and the only fix for that would be to use shims (or, different thickness shims).

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Hello Orio
ias mentioned by others ... there are a number of options available, from Leica, Contax, Nikon and Canon, prices are EUR50 ~ 90 range, depending on the cost of the original screen.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Hi Alex

+1 for Microprism only.
If I could have a screen like the original Contax RTS it would be perfect.
Even though that one did not have the segmentation that Orio brings up (that of course would be even better).

The split screen in the example you sent me for review really is distracting upon first use.
I need to spend more time with it before I write a full review.
This I can say. It is accurate to f2 Very Happy.
I get the same focus as my happypage HK adapter using Planar 1.4/85.

Andy, did you try to adjust the diopt settings?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

Hello Orio
ias mentioned by others ... there are a number of options available, from Leica, Contax, Nikon and Canon, prices are EUR50 ~ 90 range, depending on the cost of the original screen.

So you mean that I can take any screen, from any 135 format camera, and you will adapt it for the 5D?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
So you mean that I can take any screen, from any 135 format camera, and you will adapt it for the 5D?

If you're handy, you can even do it yourself.

After reading http://yipal.blogspot.com/2008/10/fitting-k3-focus-screen-to-d70s.html, I saw 2 defect cameras (Pentax ME super and Spotmatic) for 6 € on the Bay and sniped them.

When they arrive, I'll have a try at screen cutting ...

P.S. I'll check tonight my Minolta SRT101 screen

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I though the Minolta SRT101 has this kind of screen :

The Spotmatic is more or less similar :

Microprisms only in the center

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jieffe
it costs too much to buy a camera only to take out the screen Sad

I have some old Praktica, I will check their screens, what size must they be to fit the EOS 5D (first one) ?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
it costs too much to buy a camera only to take out the screen Sad

If I can remove the Spotmatic screen without damage, it is yours Smile

Quote:
I have some old Praktica, I will check their screens, what size must they be to fit the EOS 5D (first one) ?

Praktica screens are darker, I think you will be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't used one in a DSLR, I've looked inside a few Voigtländer VSLs and I did like their split diagonal prism a lot. If there isn't a problem with brightness, that would be my ideal focus screen, i.e., split diagonal in the center and microprism collar around it. Some kind of line would help with horizontal Very Happy