Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G 21/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Contax G 21/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new here but have stumbled across this forum many times when googling for information on various lenses. So I thought I should finally register and try to post something. Here's a shot from the other week, Contax G 21/2.8 on the NEX 5N:

EDIT: hmm, I have to figure out how to post images first... linking from Flickr did not work as I expected, sry :-)

Last edited by wfrank on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the admins have to allow first time photo pisters. hopefully that will happen soon.

in the meantime, i just read that both this and the G 28/2.8 cannot be adapted to m4/3. but obviously they CAN be so adapted to nex?! i wonder why that is....?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, that figures. I just leave the link then and hope for a blessing :-)

Regarding the Biogon G's (eg the 28 and 21) they work fine without modification. The 21 has somewhat longer "ears" (the protruding tongues in the rear) so it can be quirky to mount. I've seen them (both I think) modified for m4/3 - you need to cut the ears - while of course securing the rear element...

On the NEX there's some corner issues with the 21 - I dont mind that too much but depending on motif you may want to do something about it. The 28 is just great as it is - on the NEX 5N. It's apparantly bad on older models such as the NEX 5.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like linking is working now, here's another shot with the same combo, 10 mins before sundown the other week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre going to put up great shots like these we'regoing to have to ban you! Laughing

damn, this is why i want ths lens! fabulous edge to edge sharpness,great color, wow. i dont want to modify the lens irreversibly, so i'll have to wait for either mirrorless FF or much less likely apsc that i want more than my m4/3!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much :-)

I got the lens some weeks ago and enjoy it a lot.

But it does have corner issues, although smearing is not a big issue in these sizes. Purple fringing is easier to spot, but of course that can be fixed in PP. I dont mind that too much as I like vignetting in most forms.

Here are two more. Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing - those are very nice images.

For a long time a was wondering is it worth to purchase this lens. I even missed one for 400Eur - now they are lot more expensive.

Can you please link a full size sample if you have some.
I have the 28 Biogon also and using it on E-P2 without modification and guess this one will fit too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sorry, dont know really how to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive. it's very wide Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots. Almost makes me want to move back to good old Södermalm!

Keep up the great work.

Best regards,
Håkan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed very impressive shots with this combo Shocked .....Are the landscape/building shots only one shot or stitch/pano?...and have you done a lot of PP???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much guys. No these are not stitches, the lens is darn sharp - except for corners.

I dont know what much PP is :-), i always do some light work with images (curves/levels in layers) - normally 10 minutes. So these are not SOOC, allthough the lighting needs to be good in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wfrank wrote:
Thanks so much guys. No these are not stitches, the lens is darn sharp - except for corners.

It's made for film, and on film it's sharp also in the corners if you stop it down. I have this lens, for my Contax G2.
On a digital sensor, the proximity of the exit pupil to the sensor plane and the subsequent axial tilt (obliquity) of the light rays causes a series of problems
on the edges of the frame, even on cropped sensor: smearing, vignetting, color cast.
Only a specially designed sensor like that of the Leica M can avoid the problem (at least in good part).
For such extreme wide angle, a lens that is specifically designed for the digital EVIL camera is probably a better choice overall,
although it most likely won't have the sharpness of a Zeiss lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those images are impressive!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
wfrank wrote:

It's made for film, and on film it's sharp also in the corners if you stop it down. I have this lens, for my Contax G2.
On a digital sensor, the proximity of the exit pupil to the sensor plane and the subsequent axial tilt (obliquity) of the light rays causes a series of problems
on the edges of the frame, even on cropped sensor: smearing, vignetting, color cast.
Only a specially designed sensor like that of the Leica M can avoid the problem (at least in good part).
For such extreme wide angle, a lens that is specifically designed for the digital EVIL camera is probably a better choice overall,
although it most likely won't have the sharpness of a Zeiss lens.

Hi Orio,

The Panasonic 7-14mm is superb as far as I know. I don't know if there is an equivalent in NEX. Confused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure this lens is better than the modern mirrorless lenses in terms of sharpness, CA, and micro contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Frank, nice pics!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. What a stunning lens and beautifully rendered shots

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots indeed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the feedback.

It's a really good lens (if you can bare with/override its shortcomings). And yes, it's made for film/35mm. But if you like you can probably consider it arguably the best 24mm that you can put on a NEX (just crop down a bit) - if you look for sharpness. Also, a lens like the G45 is also made for film but is an absolute stunner on the NEX. Edge to edge. The G28 is as good in my view as well.

My summary is that they're small, "cheap" and great performer - really making it worthwhile leaving the FF home at times :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I commented that the lens is made for film, I meant that many of the shortcomings that you mention, really belong to the sensor technology of the digital camera, not to the lens.
The lens on film does not display the problems that you mention. At least, my copy doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, many wide-angled rangefinder lenses (with protruding back elements) share these properties.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most impressive, just a tip, when you join a forum your first shots should be of poor composition, out of focus and poor lighting, it makes the rest of us feel smug but on this occasion you can feel smug. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots. Can I check which G-NEX adapter are you using?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
Most impressive, just a tip, when you join a forum your first shots should be of poor composition, out of focus and poor lighting, it makes the rest of us feel smug but on this occasion you can feel smug. Laughing

Laughing