Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparison of some "interesting" lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Comparison of some "interesting" lenses Reply with quote

I posted these lenses as 3 of my "keepers" in another thread, and got a request to show some results from some of the more interesting ones.

Rodenstock 75mm f4 Apo Rodagon D M1:1...this is a duplicating lens designed for 1:1 duplication of 35mm slides
Rodenstock 67mm f4.9 Scitex S3 (67RS3)...this is an objective (fixed aperture) from a high-end Scitex scanner
Kyocera 80mm E36C (80E36C)...this is an industrial line-scan inspection objective (fixed aperture)

Here is the 75ARD1 full-coin with 1:1 detail:

And here is the 67RS3:

And here is the 80E36C

Curious what the forum thinks of these results. I see big differences between them yet they all produce a good image.

Last edited by Ray Parkhurst on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are lovely...the only perceived difference I can make out is the slight color differences between the images....showing the copper coming through.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with mo - they are really quite superb. You have them mounted on what? and how?

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Agree with mo - they are really quite superb. You have them mounted on what? and how?

patrickh

Thanks very much! These lenses all have an M39 mount like an enlarger lens, and I mount them to a bellows attached to a modified microscope stand. The microscope stand gives me fine focus adjustment capability and a rigid mount, while the bellows gives me magnification adjustment and course focus. The M39 is easy to find adapters for as it's popular to mount enlarger lenses for macro work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be purple fringing with the APO and Kyocera. The Scitex version seems best.

Which apertures are they shot at (Scitex is 4.9)?

How did you light these, can you post pics of the lighting setup?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
There seems to be purple fringing with the APO and Kyocera. The Scitex version seems best.

Which apertures are they shot at (Scitex is 4.9)?

How did you light these, can you post pics of the lighting setup?

These were done with two lightly diffused Jansjo LEDs, at 10:30 and 1:30, about 100mm above the coin, at 70-deg from horizontal. I took little care to ensure the sensor was not saturated on highlights. The purplish tone is actually chromatic aberration and turns greenish when focused a bit the other direction. That said, you hit the nail on the head with the Scitex. It has less chromatic aberration, yet is not quite as sharp as the other two.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very nice. I like the sharpness of the second image (Scitek 67mm) How about a bokeh test?
Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ray Parkhurst"]
jjphoto wrote:
These were done with two lightly diffused Jansjo LEDs, at 10:30 and 1:30, about 100mm above the coin, at 70-deg from horizontal. ...

Simply and effective. What more could you want.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP (Ray)
Please group your pictures one above the other so that the entire page text is not distorted and forced to run off the end, even on a reasonably wide monitor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
To the OP (Ray)
Please group your pictures one above the other so that the entire page text is not distorted and forced to run off the end, even on a reasonably wide monitor.

OK, edits made...Ray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice test. That are indeed three really good lenses.
How did you get the lenses? Slaughtered? From which scanners?
jjphoto wrote:

For me the Scitex seem to be the worst, as it has the lowest resolution and the others are also controlling CAs pretty well. I guess under non-metallurgic field conditions it will be hard to find any CAs with all of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Very nice test. That are indeed three really good lenses.
How did you get the lenses? Slaughtered? From which scanners?
jjphoto wrote:

For me the Scitex seem to be the worst, as it has the lowest resolution and the others are also controlling CAs pretty well. I guess under non-metallurgic field conditions it will be hard to find any CAs with all of them.

I bought the 67RS3 from an Israeli vendor who apparently had removed it (and its 89mm and 110mm brothers) from a defunct scanner. I've seen the set of 3 lenses offered in a few places. I bought the Apo Rodagon D from a local swap meet so it was probably surplus from a closed company that used it for visual inspections. The 80E36C came from eBay but it was new old stock. I have other focal lengths from 58mm to 94.1mm of this and the similar E36 series. The "C" series has a fixed aperture disk while the non-"C" series has adjustable apertures. Interestingly the ones with apertures are adjustable only from f4 to f8 so these were intended for high resolution applications.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. But how did you find them?/What was their name on Ebay? I was also often searching for similar slaughtered lenses, but never found a single one.
I wonder how they would perform against a premium macro lens like Zeiss S-Planar, Macro-Planar 100/2, Macro-Elmarit 60/2.8, etc,