Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Clouds around the lake in B/W
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Clouds around the lake in B/W Reply with quote

After getting keen on using Silver Efex I started to reprocess some of my older images which I did not like because of the look and tones of their colors.

Here is one of them after conversion to b&w:

"Clouds around the Jaegersee", captured in Summer of 2010 with Pentax K10d & Zeiss Distagon 2.8/35 stitched from 6 single frames.

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know if you read my comment (did you?), I like the pictures of the Mesurian lake.
Watching this grayscale image it is obvious that the image was conceived as colour photo, because of the limited contrast and the nearness of tones.
In the areas with lots of micro-contrast structure (like the trees), this is not important, because the texture creates the interest.
But in the areas like the sky and the mountains, the absence of colour shades is not compensated by luminance textures.
The result is that delicate shades of blue, green, brown, all look like middle gray now, making that part of the picture look flat.
So this B&W image needs, in my opinion, localized treatment to improve the contrast in those areas.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't posses Orio's hability to technically judge the image but there is definetly lack of overall contrast, and that is what empowers B&W photography in my opinion.

The scene is stunning by the way. Very good composition and I love the near absent of the human factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. Yes, you are right that images is lacking some contrast. And Yes Orio, there is alot of middle grey in there.
So I have tried to make a better conversion. I think there is some more contrast in now, but unfortunately every of my attempts to make a local adjustement which certainly would be the right way, just failed badly. - I still have to learn very much about photo-editing.

So please keep on judging me.

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's improved.
Keep on trying, and if you have Photoshop, use it instead of using the Silver FX plugin.
You always obtain better results with custom work, even if it's more time consuming.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a further step I have tried to get a very contrasty colored version of that image by converting the source image from it`s RGB color-space into HSI. After that I replaced the I "Intensity" or "Luminosity" channel by the contrasty b&w image.

So by playing around with different b&w conversions got a color image as result Very Happy .

I have to say that I like this version very much.

Timo

Last edited by timo832000 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, yes you are right again but Silver Efex for me is an easy way to get some inspiration and ofcourse it`s much faster.

If I did`nt have to go to work I would love to play on those images all day long Wink

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you dont mind but i did a little play in Silver EFX and a few extra minutes you can get the contrast boost and enhance the clouds even more to add drama
Something like this
Sorry could only work with the small colour pic would be better on the full image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifull scenery and I like also most the colour version Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Beautifull scenery and I like also most the colour version Smile

+ 1 Very Happy