Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5D MK III
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, doesn't look like Canon haven't advanced the sensor much:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-5D-Mark-III-Review/Sensor-performance

Other than a near 1/2 stop improvement in high ISO performance, it looks similar to the 5D II. Obviously the big change here is with AF.

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more reason to skip this step and wait for IV.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will wait a bit and grab a used Mk II Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Do you think that wishing for a FF mirroless camera from Canon, is (too much) wishful thinking?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Do you think that wishing for a FF mirroless camera from Canon, is (too much) wishful thinking?

Possibly Smile I reckon Sony might have something up their sleeve though Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have there been any developments regarding the LCD light leak that screws up the camera's metering? I think it is just outrageous for such an anticipated model! Canon should take responsibility and recall every single defective unit.

Quote:
"Looks like the honeymoon period with Canon's beastly 5D Mark III is officially over. Over the past few weeks some users have noticed that light leaking from its top-mounted LCD can affect exposure readouts, and now the company has confirmed that it's indeed an issue." - engadget

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Canon have resolved this with new bodies and are offering to check early cameras for the issue for free. So they are sorting it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I understand Canon have resolved this with new bodies and are offering to check early cameras for the issue for free. So they are sorting it out.

Yes but it's like this *every* time. I remember with the MarkII the issue with the black dotted highlights.
Canon uses their customers as beta testers of their products and while this is bearable with software, it's really annoying when it's about expensive hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they put the MkIII too early on the market, to counter Nikon D800 arrival.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Maybe they put the MkIII too early on the market, to counter Nikon D800 arrival.

I don't think so, they're cameras aimed at two different kinds of users.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Olivier wrote:

I don't think so, they're cameras aimed at two different kinds of users.

Well, yes on the photographic field, maybe less on the video field, don't you think ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon can't be on the same level of Canon because they didn't change to a fully electronic mount like with the EF system.
You can't change the aperture while recording, you have to close LV and activate it again to to that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been very skeptical at video recording with a camera. There are probably much better video dedicated camcorders out there for the price you pay for a 5DMkIII body.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take the 5DII in consideration.
If you can find a FF camcorder which has 11 stops os DR and can mount an infinite set of lenses both from the EF system itself and from the past, that can shoot 1080p at 30fps and can record up to 144MB/s for less than the price of the 5DII itself give me a call.
Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D MkII is used by movie professionals.
Not exactly out of the box as they add a number of accessories, but the technical specs stay identical.
This experiment tended to the actual Cinema range :

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Digital_Cinema/Cinema_EOS_Cameras/index.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good one for video from the samples i've seen.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/16/blackmagic-announces-blackmagic-cinema-camera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
If you can find a FF camcorder which has 11 stops os DR and can mount an infinite set of lenses both from the EF system itself and from the past, that can shoot 1080p at 30fps and can record up to 144MB/s for less than the price of the 5DII itself give me a call.
Wink

From all of those characteristics one major drawback in my opinion is "simply" ergonomics. I find it just awkward to shoot with a camera, unless you have a tripod of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
ilguercio wrote:
Wink

From all of those characteristics one major drawback in my opinion is "simply" ergonomics. I find it just awkward to shoot with a camera, unless you have a tripod of course.

That's why professionals add a lot of accessories to the 5D MkII.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

True: in fact first thing to do after buying a 5dmkII (which is great for pro video, except some issues with the shutter, and better than anything in its price range) is to invest another 1500/2000 euros in rigs, follow focus, shoulder supports, external monitors etc. according to your needs.
Even after buying that you spent only about half the price of anything in the same range of iq.
And that' s why it became so popular in video production.

Don't know anything about mkIII, but surely the video part of the buyers is going to be important and well considered by canon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
ilguercio wrote:
Wink

So you prefer ergonomics but the quality of the usual compact cameras over the blessing of FF sensor and a vast choice of lenses?
That's why you can but or build rigs to mount the camera onto.
Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't prefer anything over anything else. We're talking about $1000's of dollars worth of equipment, many people don't earn that kind of money in a year so these are products aimed mainly at people who actually make a living out of it.

I was not aware of the price tags on professional video cameras, having that in the equation obviously changes my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found 3rd party focus screen made for the 5dm3?

review of uses? installation procedure?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Have you found 3rd party focus screen made for the 5dm3?

review of uses? installation procedure?

Click here to see on Ebay

Ask the seller for details.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin.
Already did.

jinfinance has a good screen for pentax k20d, spot on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know whether the camera exposes properly with this screen.

At the moment I'm still leaning towards a 6D.