Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Buying a scanner for Medium format.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Buying a scanner for Medium format. Reply with quote

I am about to buy a scanner. I have been looking at the Epsons. I kind of decided for a V500. I don't think the V700 will add anything spectacular to justify the price difference. However after a PM the other day from Laurence after some MF discussion, he mentioned the Epson 2450 briefly.

Now I found a used Epson 2450 for about 80-85€ (about a third of the V500 price). Anyone care to tell me the difference? Should I spend three times that to get a V500 over a 2450? Anyone using both and care to enlighten me with a scan of each and pinpoint differences?

Btw, postprocessing will probably be done in photoshop, so I really dont care about dustremoval and other trinkets like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look around for a 4490 with a heavy end-of-line discount. They were going for 90usd last year from Epson US. I bought one from a European supplier a few months ago, not as cheap as that, but not bad. The V500 claims 6400dpi, whereas the 4490 claims 4800dpi. Both claims are lies anyway, so it doesn't really make much difference. Smile
Alternatively, check the US Epson site for refurbished V500s - sometimes you get lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Epson V100 I got from ebay for 24.00 GBP. I lay the film on the glass, then put a small light box over the negative. It works very well indeed. The scanner software complains that the lid is open unless I select 'reflective' (as when scanning prints) but it works.

I would not go this route again though, it's a pain in the ass Laughing Laughing Laughing

I like the spec of the V500, I might get one when I sell some unwanted kit Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My V500 is great. One thing to watch out for is the compatibility with your computer system. I noticed that the specs for the 700 series never mention Windows Vista, whereas the V500 does. Since I can't imagine the makers forgetting something like that when advertising their top model, I suspect it may not work with Vista. Whether the earlier version does or not, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compability is not a problem. I got 9 computers running everything youd imagine. Wink One of them are bound to have something that works.

I think I'll go with the V500. I read so many mixed reviews though. Some complain about focus of lens, some complain about glass etc.

Would be really nice to see some proper 120 film scans in highest resolution possible with some crops and resizes that match 10 megapixel or something. Because if the result is crap, I might aswell skip it and go scan at a pro lab or use my sister inlaws nikon coolscan LS-9000 ED or whatever its called.

So anyone got a 120 scanned portrait (since thats what i will most likely use it most for) preferably from a studio. Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00T0e9

That threads worries me a bit.

"But portraits scanned with the V500 can look blotchy, even with fine-grain film."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is going to match the sister-in-law's Nikon Coolscan 9000 unless
you go pro drum scanner. Nikon is discontinuing making scanners for the
unwashed masses, too.

If the sister-in-law looks anything like your wife, bring a witness over to
her place, just for insurance/backup/testimony, etc. Wink

The 2450 would do fine for medium format and large format (4x5) and
the V500 is not a quantum leap if sticking to medium format. 35mm scans
are definitely better with a V500, tho.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to think the blotchy portraits are a result of user error. God knows, I'm a rank amateur with the thing but I have no problem getting good results from good negatives. I do keep all the dust removal and sharpening options switched off to keep the results as true as possible. I can spot-out and process in PS.

There's a very detailed review somewhere on the net that shows the Epson V700 is within a whisker of the quality of the Coolscan 9000. No doubt the 500 is a bit behind that but it is still extremely good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
I'm inclined to think the blotchy portraits are a result of user error. God knows, I'm a rank amateur with the thing but I have no problem getting good results from good negatives. I do keep all the dust removal and sharpening options switched off to keep the results as true as possible. I can spot-out and process in PS.

There's a very detailed review somewhere on the net that shows the Epson V700 is within a whisker of the quality of the Coolscan 9000. No doubt the 500 is a bit behind that but it is still extremely good.

I agree. For a flatbed under 1000USD, Epson's the best way to go. I still use my 4870 with extremely good results.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Epson_Scanners

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Nothing is going to match the sister-in-law's Nikon Coolscan 9000 unless
you go pro drum scanner. Nikon is discontinuing making scanners for the
unwashed masses, too.

If the sister-in-law looks anything like your wife, bring a witness over to
her place, just for insurance/backup/testimony, etc. Wink

The 2450 would do fine for medium format and large format (4x5) and
the V500 is not a quantum leap if sticking to medium format. 35mm scans
are definitely better with a V500, tho.

Wink. Well I know that the Coolscan is better. But I really hate to go all that way to scan stuff. But I guess the V500 will be good enough and I can take the really good ones down to her.

The only difference in picture quality is the lower dmax on the V500 right? Can you compensate for that somehow?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:

The only difference in picture quality is the lower dmax on the V500 right? Can you compensate for that somehow?

Where the lower dmax falls down is mainly on slides, bringing out
shadow detail. And you will want to shoot slides, after seeing some
displayed on a light table yesterday at a friend's house, I don't want
to shoot ANYTHING but slide! Laughing I know Jules and some others use
Vuescan with their Epsons, but I doubt that's a silver bullet for the
lower dmax. The best compensation would be to drive to the
sister-in-law's for the exceptional ones, as mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
zewrak wrote:

Where the lower dmax falls down is mainly on slides, bringing out
shadow detail. And you will want to shoot slides, after seeing some
displayed on a light table yesterday at a friend's house, I don't want
to shoot ANYTHING but slide! Laughing I know Jules and some others use
Vuescan with their Epsons, but I doubt that's a silver bullet for the
lower dmax. The best compensation would be to drive to the
sister-in-law's for the exceptional ones.

You think ill even buy a colourfilm?! Wink

I will most likely use mostly 50-100 ASA B/W film in a studiolit enviroment. Which makes me think it might be hard for the scanner, due to high resolution and tiny grains?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, you're going for the homespun do your own developing, the
whole shmear. The V500 should do very well with BW negs in medium
format. Can't use Digital Ice, but I never use that, anyway. I think you
will like the results, I've seen some very decent BW scans, even with 35mm negs using the V500.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Ah yes, you're going for the homespun do your own developing, the
whole shmear. The V500 should do very well with BW negs in medium
format. Can't use Digital Ice, but I never use that, anyway. I think you
will like the results, I've seen some very decent BW scans, even with 35mm negs using the V500.

Oh yes. I will develop the film at home. I got a complete darkroom, so i can also make papercopies if needed be. However, I will miss the photoshop edit Wink. Thats the reason I want to be able to scan and still print say 70cmx70cm with good quality. But Id hate to only be able to use the scanner as kind of a digital contact sheet. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:

Oh yes. I will develop the film at home. I got a complete darkroom, so i can also make papercopies if needed be. However, I will miss the photoshop edit Wink. Thats the reason I want to be able to scan and still print say 70cmx70cm with good quality. But Id hate to only be able to use the scanner as kind of a digital contact sheet. Smile

You might look into Vuescan, I am going check on it myself. That is one
ballsy printer you must have! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
zewrak wrote:

You might look into Vuescan, I am going check on it myself. That is one
ballsy printer you must have! Shocked

Nay. A guy in the local camera club works at printing shop which can hand us in the club some decent price on HQ prints. a3+ for example for 1€.

Tis all about connections! Wink Sister in law has a a3+ printer aswell. But the inkprices makes me not wanting to waste her ink. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking sister-in-law must be a pro, or a rich serious amateur. Anyhoo, she has very good taste in high-end equipment. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I'm thinking sister-in-law must be a pro, or a rich serious amateur. Anyhoo, she has very good taste in high-end equipment. Wink

She got a studio and do kids portraits and PR photography. Smile Very handy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a medium format film scanner as well, and I know of the Nikon Coolscan 9000 - I am using a Coolscan 4000 at the moment.

Are there any other Mac users out there? Nikon does not anymore support software updates for Mac on their scanning software, discontinued and with OS X 10.5.6 there are numerous bugs that almost inhibit a decent workflow.

1. Better scanning software for Mac OS X for me, using Nikon Coolscan 4000? I know of Photoshop import from scanner.
2. Medium-high to high quality medium format film scanner? Mac support for software is a requirement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Looking for a medium format film scanner as well, and I know of the Nikon Coolscan 9000 - I am using a Coolscan 4000 at the moment.

Are there any other Mac users out there? Nikon does not anymore support software updates for Mac on their scanning software, discontinued and with OS X 10.5.6 there are numerous bugs that almost inhibit a decent workflow.

1. Better scanning software for Mac OS X for me, using Nikon Coolscan 4000? I know of Photoshop import from scanner.
2. Medium-high to high quality medium format film scanner? Mac support for software is a requirement.

There is a vuescan for Mac OS X 10.5. Tried it? I used VUEScan with the 9000 when I borrowed it and it worked (Windows though, since Nikons software dont work on Vista)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downloaded it, will try it in the next few days. Excellent, thank you for the information!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also happy with vuescan, it drives almost any scanner. I used it with epson v700(medium format) and canon 4400f(35mm). not bad results, but when it comes to in-depth comparison with nikon 9000, they both look like toys for children. scans from nikon are grade better, and you can´t forget that scanning high-density films like fuji velvia is on the edge of nikon´s d-max capability.