Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Braun Paxette original 1951 model
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Braun Paxette original 1951 model Reply with quote

I went to an antique store and most of the cameras I saw were way overpriced ($59 for an Argus C3 anyone?), as I was leaving I spotted a very dirty Paxette for $19. It was still functioning, and you don't see these everyday over here so I grabbed it.
It has a Kataplast 2.8/45mm lens - has anybody used this lens before? A google search only turned up photos that must have been taken with a very dirty lens. The advance knob is also rather stiff, is this normal?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a very early Paxette, still not cleaned up and fixed.

That "Kataplast" is a Staeble lens I think.
Front cell focus on that lens ? Its probably a triplet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole lens turns as a unit. Probably a triplet anyway. Does yours have a stiffish film advance?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is stiffish, sad to say.
It needs a big overhaul.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a Steinheil Cassar 4.5cm/2.9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kataplast is by Staele. I used to be interested in buying a Super Paxette as I like German rf cams. I decided not to because the image samples from the Staeble and Enna lenses for it was pretty crap. Same with the Lordomat, I dropped my interest in that because of the poor quality lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a weakness for Paxettes, probably because my first 35mm camera was a Paxette Im with a Pointar lens. For old times' sake, I bought another one last year.

Wind-on is certainly stiff-ish on my present one, as it was on the original in 1956! The Im had (still has!) a "one-and-half"stroke lever wind, maybe to make the job easier. The earlier cameras had a knob-wind that also felt stiff. The knob itself is a bit awkward to manipulate easily. I'm pretty sure that all the mid-1950s generation of Paxettes had helical focusing mounts, like the Voigtlander Vito B family.

As for Ian's comments on lenses . . . well, the Pointar is more or less like every other 3-element f2.8 budget priced lens from the 1950s; not bad when used with contemporary films and universal developers Very Happy . But the Super Paxettes also came with Xenars and Tessars which ought to do well. And the Lordomat also came with better standard lenses as a higher-cost option, so it's perhaps unwise to consign the entirety of both families to the rubbish bin. "Seeing one swallow doesn't mean it's summer"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Super Paxette with a Staeble Kata 45/2.8, but have never used it as the wind-on lever decided to bust its spring after jamming for a while. So it sits unused in its case, waiting for the day when it might be fixed. I think the wind-on lever spring breaking isn't uncommon, actually. It's a really fiddly job to replace, so I might send it off to someone to have a go at it, but since there's no great value in the camera, is it worthwhile? I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I enquired locally about getting something similar done, I was told it would cost me £35 for someone even to look at the job. At that rate, I guess the answer's easy to figure out Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this one has internal haze in the lens, and I do not have a small enough screw driver to loosen the set screws so that I may take it off the camera for cleaning. Checked with a ground glass and the image is hazy, so I won't bother shooting a test roll until I can clean it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I have a weakness for Paxettes, probably because my first 35mm camera was a Paxette Im with a Pointar lens. For old times' sake, I bought another one last year.

Wind-on is certainly stiff-ish on my present one, as it was on the original in 1956! The Im had (still has!) a "one-and-half"stroke lever wind, maybe to make the job easier. The earlier cameras had a knob-wind that also felt stiff. The knob itself is a bit awkward to manipulate easily. I'm pretty sure that all the mid-1950s generation of Paxettes had helical focusing mounts, like the Voigtlander Vito B family.

As for Ian's comments on lenses . . . well, the Pointar is more or less like every other 3-element f2.8 budget priced lens from the 1950s; not bad when used with contemporary films and universal developers Very Happy . But the Super Paxettes also came with Xenars and Tessars which ought to do well. And the Lordomat also came with better standard lenses as a higher-cost option, so it's perhaps unwise to consign the entirety of both families to the rubbish bin. "Seeing one swallow doesn't mean it's summer"

Xenars and Tessars are surely good, it is the Staeble and Enna lenses that I thought looked poor when I saw samples.

What are the better lenses for the Lordomat? I know there are some Schacht ones.