Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Battle at Bodnant Gardens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Battle at Bodnant Gardens Reply with quote

Stopped for lunch on the way back from Wales this weekend to find these chaps battling away in a field.
They're from the Sealed Knot society http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk who re-enact various civil war engagements.
We hadn't realised they were there until our quiet Sunday lunch was interupted by canon fire!

Jupiter 9 on SD14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fun. I'm sure you did not mind the interruption Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen these guys before, they're nuts - all of them! Smile

Looks like you're enjoying the J9, Xpres. What's happened to the colour of the grass?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun watching and they certainly were enjoyng themselves.

The grass was pretty pale, Peter, but maybe it was my conversion in elements. Here's one from the sigma software via Picasa. I still haven't figured out a good workflow for the sd14 so they can be a bit off sometimes. My new monitor also needs calibrating so maybe I'm not seeing quite right. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one is much better! Great shot. (First one seemed overexposed.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! I like this shot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a lot better. The grass certainly is pale, I think you see that sometimes when it's been allowed to grow long and then cut short. The trees and the mound at the back are much greener. It's a great photograph, very sharp focus and no motion blur, and you've caught the subtle crimson colour of the tunics beautifully. But once you get the workflow sorted out I think you'll be able to get an even better exposure and colour balance out of the RAW file.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shot of the action & sharp results, I see that woman and old sixty men were allowed to fight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice action ! great photograph.
The second one is definitly better, the whites are not so washed-out.

Cheers,
Tobbsman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sigma software the only RAW processor you can use?

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments all.

patrickh wrote:
Is the sigma software the only RAW processor you can use?

patrickh

The adobe camera raw in elements will do it but the colours seem very over blown, red inparticular, and so need tempering which I've found a bit tricky so far compared with the Oly ORF files which are much easier. It also doesn't see all the information from the foveon sensor. The sigma processor handles things better as you'd expect but isn't the most friendly piece if software to use.
I think Ufraw in the gimp will also manage it but I haven't tried it yet.