Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back to analog?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Back to analog? Reply with quote

During a couple of days I have used my 5D with several CZJ & Meyer manual lenses. Temperature is some -24 to -26 centigrades. Result: quite good pics if any. The focusing ring gets very sticky, aperture blades jam, LCD stops wieving, battery loses it's electricity. I can remember times with Exakta and Canon FP (and FT) - no problems. Should I return to analog film age? Has anyone got a reliable winter DSRL? I'm quite frustrated to shoot thru-the-windscreen photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been pretty cold here in Texas, but nothing like what you're having to deal with, and I had my EOS DSLR out today. It lasted for about a half hour, no problem. But I've been in situations not as cold as this back in my analog days, when my Canon A-1 stopped working because the battery got too cold. So, it doesn't even have to get nearly as cold as the weather you're experiencing before batteries can become a problem.

I have read that there are cold weather remote battery packs that you can get for your 5D. I know that they were available back in the 80s for my A-series Canons, so I'm reasonably sure this is an option available to you. The battery pack is kept inside a jacket pocket so it stays warm.

As for aperture blades freezing up, I don't know what to tell you. The manual focus lenses that I've dismantled have all used aperture blades that were mounted dry without lubrication. Maybe the blades in your EF lenses are different?

The closest I have been to your weather conditions was spending the month of January, 1976 outside Fairbanks, Alaska (courtesy of the US Army), which is about 160km south of the Arctic Circle. Average temperatures while I was there were about -30F (-34C). I took lots of pictures while I was there, and I was just using a cheapo mechanical camera. It didn't miss once. So, I guess there is something to be said for good ol' analog when it gets that cold.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are extreme situations which demand extreme reactions.
What about shooting with a purely manual cam such as the Leica MP?
You can even have it winter-sealed by Leitz.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with a Ricoh TLS 401, with hearing aid battery for the lightmeter. No failure, old as the machine may be.
But a Canon P&S Sure Shot Supreme (film too) works good in house and in nice weather outside, but failed to make any shot in the cold, when I took it out my pocket. So it are the electronics, not the digital capture that makes the difference, I believe.

Last edited by Minolfan on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been extremely satisfied for two years with the D3 and how well it takes hours and hours in -20C temperature. Before that, two years on D2x never failed me in cold weather but many AF lenses did. Cameras that are properly weather-sealed can handle cold weather better than the photographers. I do this for a living, so a 5k pro body isn't appealing to many.

AF lenses experience trouble, especially motor-driven AF-S lenses slow down after an hour or two. Manual focus lenses are much better also in this regard. Battery preformance usually is not an issue as I can always swap between two batteries, warming up the other with my body temperature. LCD becomes slow to respond after a few hours, but I have metering on any lens I can attach to the D3 so that doesn't bother me. Introducing cameras to cold is another thing, I usually put mine in the refridgerator before and after using it outdoors in -10 or lower.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never shot analog and never will. It's either film or digital for me Smile

However, if you are having trouble with CZJ and Meyer lenses freezing up, the answer would seem to be either to use the Russian versions, which were manufactured with Siberian winters in mind or to get the German lenses relubed with low-temperature grease and have the technician ensure the irises are clean of anything that might stick.

On the other hand - how long will the freeze last and how often is it going to happen? By the time you sort everything out it could be over and you might need to wait another 20 years to test the cold weather kit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
My post corrected for your pleasure!

Aad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Zing case for general protection, but it seems to improve battery life in cold weather too. It's made of neoprene, like a wet-suit:
http://tinyurl.com/y9fbxoa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Paul,
My post corrected for your pleasure!

Aad

I hope it gave you as much pleasure changing it as I got from seeing it changed Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Praktica MTL50. No problems at -5. Not sure how it would fair at -25.

At any rate, it's cheap enough to replace should it die.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

What about shooting with a purely manual cam such as the Leica MP?

Today I used Contax G1. Not a single problem (execpt frozen fingers). Higher price may mean higher usability:-(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:

On the other hand - how long will the freeze last and how often is it going to happen? By the time you sort everything out it could be over and you might need to wait another 20 years to test the cold weather kit.

That's a good point of view. The previous really cold winter was here more than 20 years ago (1987). When being healthier I tried to visit Lapland almost every year. And there -30C is not unusual.

Snow and cold together represents beauty to me. Thus I hope to be able to rely on my toys:)

In my case -22C seems to be critical for 5D, below that problems begin. Focusing rings are sticky soon below 0C. Maybe it would be a good idea to subsitute old helicoid greases with modern lithium types.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used a DSLR in very cold condition for a prolong amount of time. However, I used an old Lumix Point and Shoot (cheap model LC50 in early 2000s) in the Arctic a couple of times, with temperature down to -40C (which is also around -40F) without any problems. At one time, it even fells into the snow and it still works now!. I placed the camera inside my parka, and only came out when needed - for a couple of seconds.

One photo taken during a windy -50C in the arctic. Note the snow sticking into the walls because of the high wind:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely in this situation and in many others too more pleasant to use film than digital.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniramca wrote:
I never used a DSLR in very cold condition for a prolong amount of time. However, I used an old Lumix Point and Shoot (cheap model LC50 in early 2000s) in the Arctic a couple of times, with temperature down to -40C (which is also around -40F) without any problems. At one time, it even fells into the snow and it still works now!. I placed the camera inside my parka, and only came out when needed - for a couple of seconds.

One photo taken during a windy -50C in the arctic. Note the snow sticking into the walls because of the high wind:

Wow! I would love to experience this, just for once.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked the 5D2's manual and the "operating environment" it is supposed to work in is from 0C to 40C, so working in any sub-zero conditions takes it beyond its design specs, let alone taking it to -20C or -30C (fortunately, it still works in Arabia in temperatures of +40 or +50C).

I wonder if the older cameras also had temperature specifications.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:

I wonder if the older cameras also had temperature specifications.

Definitely.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/olympus/olympus_om-1/olympus_om-1.htm
The Winder1 battery pack permitted operations to as low as -10C (-14F). The Care and Storage section mentions 'Never store the camera where the temperature exceeds 50C' and ' using the camera under -50C it may sometimes fail to operate... warm it before use' Smile
Minus 50 Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax K-7 is designe for low temperatures, maybe not too extreme but better than any other DSLR? My Contaflex Super -B worked fine in -20F - selenium light meter and all! Smile