Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any Widelux users here?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Any Widelux users here? Reply with quote

I've just got a Widelux F7 camera in an excellent condition. It is an old 140 degree panoramic camera with swing lens - very weird looking. I've put a roll of film in it but hasn't finished it yet. I am an all-digital shooter who likes to put manual focus lenses on Canon digital bodies, but this camera got me excited! A similar body has been taken on the moon in 60's, as this site says - https://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=PA049990505490&brandcategoryname=Panoramic&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=56&BC=PA&BCC=6&CC=4&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Are there any other Widelux users here that can share some experiences or words of advice? Honestly, I don't even know what would be the best way to develop the film and make panoramic prints from it. Like I said, I live in a digital world Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with any info or experience with the camera, but a normal decent flatbed scanner could deal with the long frames and a digital printout resulting from that would give you the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have just tried to scan some old film at 2400dpi on my flatbed scanner. It turned out even worse than I expected. Can't see anything except for some ghostly shapes and all kinds of banding.

I guess it has to be done on a professional scanner - maybe not on a drum type but something with a good dynamic range etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved the way the cameras looked, and the idea of one is intriguing. Never have shot one though.

This guy was using it at sunset, taking photos of the Brooklyn Bridge:

there are some groups and some fantastic photos on flicr:
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=widelux

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=widelux&w=all

--

re. scanning - does your scanner have a film mode - some have an extra sliding drawer, others have a light source in the lid, and you remove the usual white lid backing, and use a negative carrier of some sort? Please excuse me if this is a stupid/insulting question to you, but I have to check Smile

I've had results such as you describe when my Epson 4490 for some reason didn't understand it was scanning film. On the Epson, I'd think the main problem with scanning Widelux is that the 35mm holder has separators along the way... and the 120 size is just too wide. Perhaps some glass type carriers would work best.

The above was a result when the film I was scanning blocked the registration marks in the negative holder... which the Epson uses to detect what kind of thing it's supposed to be scanning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

The above was a result when the film I was scanning blocked the registration marks in the negative holder... which the Epson uses to detect what kind of thing it's supposed to be scanning.

The detection marks only are relevant for the Epson software and will be overridden by manual settings. But if you obstruct the calibration area (the clear area on top of the holder towards the hinge) the scanner will make a mess of everything.

Sevo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my scanner does not have a film mode Smile I should do more of my own research before asking stupid questions on this forum Smile

I think I'll go with Target's film to photo CD service for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: I had one of these for a While in the 90s Reply with quote

I only had it on loan for a while, but it was quite cool. Very all-manual, no metering or whatever. I think I had the same model, the F7. Overall pretty well built, and rather sharp results too. I mostly hand-held it as I was doing photojournalism at the time. I did some tripod work with it too. If shooting something with a horizon, leveling it out well is key. You can get some intersting results handheld if you use a longish exposure and pan while shooting (either same or reverse direction of lens pan). A fun camera, I wish I had one again.

-Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius, you'll have a problem with Target - and minilabs in general - as they are set up for the regular 35mm frame. You can pay a good amount to have some pro shop do the scan, or you can find a friend who's willing to scan for you, or you can buy a scanner with film ability and rig the negative carrier.

The friend's the cheapest alternative, and the buy option will quickly become cheaper than the pro shop, within a few rolls... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Widelux F7. It's a great camera.

1. I drop the negatives off at Walgreens and ask that they process the film only, no prints. Also make sure they don't automatically cut the negatives for you. I scan everything myself with an Epson 4490.

2. The Widelux sometimes bands (vertical areas of light/dark exposure due to shutter chatter or hardening lubricants in the gears), especially in cold weather. Prior to a shoot, just fire a bunch of shots off and crank the film advance, before you load any film in. I haven't had any banding problems once I started doing this.

3. Make sure your fingers aren't in the frame. This is easy to forget and you'll sometimes get a out of focus fingertip or shape in your photos.

4. Make sure you cock the shutter/wind the film BEFORE you change the shutter speed. You can strip the gears over time if you attempt to change the shutter speed before winding the film to the next frame.

5. The viewfinder is not accurate and doesn't show the entire area of coverage of the swinging lens. You always need to step a bit closer in to the scene, before you get the shot that matches what you saw in the viewfinder.

6. The Widelux is best used at f8 to f11, because the fixed focus lens is set at 8 feet. Infinity is in focus at these smaller apertures, and closeup objects are also in focus due to the wide depth-of-field coverage when at these smaller f-stops.

7. I find that the best pictures are made when you shoot at an angle to the scene, with something of interest in the foreground, middle and background.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoh,

Thank you very much for an excellent advice!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I have processed my first roll of film from it. I did it at Walgreens and asked them to make a Photo CD. The scan quality is not good at all but sufficient for proofing purposes. Also they've cut each scan into two files because they can't process such long panoramic shots.

Anyway, I think this camera is a lot of fun. It allows taking some shots impossible with modern digital cameras, e.g. panoramic street shots with moving objects. Here is an eerie shot of a room that I am afraid to stay alone in now Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fun camera. I disagree that a 35mm Widelux is too limited in resolution. You can squeeze a lot of detail out of the near medium format negative (24mm x 59mm).

Widelux F7 with Sensia 100: