Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An unexpected Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: An unexpected Nikon Reply with quote

Wow. Months ago I scored a dirt cheap Ricoh Singlex, expecting/hoping it had an M42 1.4 on it - when it arrived I was slightly disappointed to find it was an earlier bayonet fit. Turned out the bayonet was basically a Nikon F, as Puplet said here...

http://forum.mflenses.com/rikenon-55mm-f1-4-t2459,highlight,singlex.html

This lens is identical, but I'd sort of forgotten about it until I get an adapter to fit Nikon->EOS and it just sat on the camera being ignored. I suddenly recalled what Puplet said about a slight mod being needed, so dragged up the thread and noticed that he'd said Nikon lenses would fit the camera without any modification.

Heheh... it's true - my Vivitars 19mm and 28mm fit it perfectly and stop down properly. The camera shutter speeds all seem to work fine and it's a nice hefty bit of kit. Nice metal shutter too. No meter on this cam to worry about - utterly manual and no batteries at all. It also means I have yet another film cam to take my Tamrons with a couple of AD2 Nikon mounts that came with some lenses.

(pic lifted from http://www.cameraguild.jp/nekosan/singrex.htm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Dave! Yep the genetic similarities between the two cams is
unmistakable!

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkorex was made for Nikon by Maimya - I think when Nikon started producing their own budget models (Nikkomat etc.) Ricoh then bought the design from Maimya.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkorex was made for Nikon by Maimya - I think when Nikon started producing their own budget models (Nikkomat etc.) Ricoh then bought the design from Maimya.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hankering to get an old style basic Nikon manual camera and was thinking about a Nikkormat FT2, for old time's sake. This Singlex is a bonus, but I suspect I may need to replace the light seals - they don't look all that hot.

Yay. Another giant leap backwards. Luddite, me? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I had a hankering to get an old style basic Nikon manual camera and was thinking about a Nikkormat FT2, for old time's sake. This Singlex is a bonus, but I suspect I may need to replace the light seals - they don't look all that hot.

You'll probably need to replace the lightseals on any Nikkormat - they're getting dodgy on my slightly later FE and EL2. The Singlex is an unusual find - congratulations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

I had a Nikkormat for a few years in the mid seventies. It was a very well made camera IMO a much better standard than many latter more expensive models. If I remember right it had very good quick almost foolproof operation. I know I never had a bad shot from it and always enjoyed using it. It also got a fair bit of abuse in those days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

I had a Nikkormat for a few years in the mid seventies. It was a very well made camera IMO a much better standard than many latter more expensive models. If I remember right it had very good quick almost foolproof operation. I know I never had a bad shot from it and always enjoyed using it. It also got a fair bit of abuse in those days.

The FT2 was my first decent SLR, after years of faffing around with some less than optimal kit. It never let me down and just became a part of my hand in the end Smile
That's probably why I took to the OM1 so readily - it was just so familiar after the FT2 and the OM was as well built. I suspect Nikon put much greater care into the design of the early Nikkormats than later, to capture customers and keep them. It was surprising how many pros had an F or F2 and an FT or FT2 as a spare cam then. I'd say they were just as tough as their more expensive stablemates of the time.