Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfapan 100, Fino S31 - Bologna
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Agfapan 100, Fino S31 - Bologna Reply with quote

I tried developing this roll with an old bottle of Fino S31 developer. The seller warned me about the age of the bottle,
but I tried anyway with the standard recommended time of 4'30".
The result however was a very thin negative, which would need a good one minute more development, or maybe even two.
So I must assume that the developer did lose some strenght with the time.
The Fino S31 is a compensating developer, and in fact even with this obvious underdevelopment it did record amazing detail in the shadows. With proper times, it should deliver great results.

Subject is for most part the Mercatino di Santo Stefano in Bologna (sort of high quality flea market)
I apologize for the dust, the negative did fall on the ground Evil or Very Mad
ZI camera, lenses used: Snapshot-Skopar 4/25 and ZM Biogon 2/35:

01- I think there's something to be said about the bokeh with film... (Biogon 2/35)

03 - period advertising, a tentative to introduce coca-cola to italian consumers Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i just dont understand how they should have turned out, but i must say that i enjoyed the look of them very much. i do understand how much is lost in the scanning process, so the detail retained os quite amazing to me.
tony

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony. I had to boost the exposure to the maximum, because the negatives were so thin. Of course boosting the exposure while scanning had the consequence of boosting the grain.
If the negative had proper development, I would be able to read the details in the shadow without boosting exposure and enhancing defects.
Having that said, you're right, the results in many cases are rather good considering the starting point (if you looked at the negative, you would see it almost transparent).

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important question is this: How many of the cameras in picture 6 did you buy?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results. I really like 4 and 9.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series; the first and third photo carry the others IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
@ David: I admit that I ran away without even asking the prices, I was afraid that they were low and that I could feel the buying impulse Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say BRAVO! Whatever techinical issues, these photographs to me look like they could have been made in the golden era of b&w photography. The tones and compositions, the grain and the thick, tangible look of the 'prints' I feel would be right at home in a book of '50's or 60s (say) art photography. I don't think it could get much better than this.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I say BRAVO! Whatever techinical issues, these photographs to me look like they could have been made in the golden era of b&w photography. The tones and compositions, the grain and the thick, tangible look of the 'prints' I feel would be right at home in a book of '50's or 60s (say) art photography. I don't think it could get much better than this.

Wow... thanks much, Jussi!! Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love #4, needs to be printed!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love #4 too.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will print #4 and show the result
It will be a good exercise for dodging Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it needs any dodging, it's the way the street artist appears from the blackness that makes it so appealing to me.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#12 is my favourite.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio , The compensating effect of this developer worked quite well for so little time in development ! Very few of the highlights are blown out and even the darkest areas have some detail. I am not familiar with this developer but the results are very nice indeed !!!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:
Orio , The compensating effect of this developer worked quite well for so little time in development ! Very few of the highlights are blown out and even the darkest areas have some detail. I am not familiar with this developer but the results are very nice indeed !!!

I'm glad that you think so Erkie, because I don't have the competence that you have with darkroom, so if you think so, it means that I saw this right Smile

Ornano is still producing this developer (it's one of the few chemicals they did not discontinue).
It's sold in 1-liter ready solution (I mean you use it as is, don't dilute it), but it can be re-used until you perform 12-13 rolls of 36 exposures:
http://www.westernphoto.it/webstore/ORNANO_UP_S_31_1_liter_pack_ready_to_use
The only negative aspect is that there is very little information available about the developing times with the different films, so you need to experiment to find out.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, Thank you for the additional information and the link .

I'm going to try to look further into this developer . It appears to compensate quite well, especially given the developing time . It certainly handled the lighting for these scenes wonderfully . #4 is just perfect for the scene in my opinion . It just has a timeless quality that is so hard to achieve !

Photos like this series is why B&W film will be very hard to replace (at Least for me ). Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, Orio! These are WONDERFUL considering you were experimenting. The results are outstanding.

I'll go out on a limb and bring up image #3 as a favorite, if only because of the FANTASTIC tonality. Look
at the gradations in the white borders of the advertisements! Shocked Shocked Gorgeous.

I agree with an earlier poster about these having the look of b&whites from high-end cameras from the 50s and 60s...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry! I have 3 bottles of the stuff, it's rather cheap, so I plan doing more experiments Smile
Next experiment will be with Efke, the maker recommends to use this developer with old type of film only (it's not recommended for t-grain film).