Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice to amend a (possible) bad decision
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Advice to amend a (possible) bad decision Reply with quote

[size=small]I do not know if this is the best place to post this but if not please move it to the suitable forum category.[/size]

I am in a bit of a "panic" since I have started realizing that my first MF lens was probably not the best option for someone on a budget.

When I bought my Yashica ML I did it because it costed me 20€ shipped, looking at the average price from auction sites I believe that was an ok deal for a lens that overall deserves some respect among MF lovers.

However I did not knew about the.. how should I call it.. premium(?) status of the C/Y mount, associated with Zeiss glass and the cheaper Yashica alternatives.
Looking at the prices for C/Y mount lenses I come to the conclusion that very hardly I will find any reasonably good deals considering I will be paying for decades old lenses that in most cases cost as much as the brand new, state of the art, auto-focus, built-in stabilization, etc., lenses.

In the pursuit for having a shallow depth of field prime lens I ended up spending a fairly reasonable amount of money:

- the lens : 20€
- the hood : 9€
- the adapter 32€
- shipping for the last two: 5€
- shipping for returning the adapter that had no AF confirm: 2€
- new adapter with AF confirm I still have to purchase: (at least) 14€

In the end this single lens will have cost me: 50€

I wouldn't be making a drama out of 50€, which is partly my fault, but I still haven't shot a single photo with it!

Since I cannot spend dozens or hundreds of dollars in C/Y lenses, should I:

- Keep this one, play with it and later find lenses in cheaper mounts that suit my budget?
- Get rid of it right away, sell it for what it cost me and have zero money loss and start again?
- ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is not a problem. You have one lens with CY mount, so what? Nothing forces you to buy more of them. Your next lens can be M42 or Olympus or Nikon or whatever mount is compatible with your Canon camera, without the need to sell the Yashica lens.
You like the Yashica lens? Keep it. You don't like it? Sell it.
You like it but you don't have time/will/dedication to use it? Sell it and buy something that you will use.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the above advice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your post three times and maybe I am tired, but I can't seem to grasp what your problem really is.

Go out and shoot with the lens. Enjoy it. Post here images you've taken with it. What else can you get for 50 euros that could bring as much positive feelings to yourself and others around you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nothing forces you to buy more of them. Your next lens can be M42 or Olympus or Nikon or whatever mount is compatible with your Canon camera, without the need to sell the Yashica lens.

Yeah I am aware of that, but if I am going to buy a new adapter everytime I buy another lens, the "budget" side of things starts disappearing in my perspective. The logical way would be to use the same adapter on many lenses.

Esox Lucius wrote:
Post here images you've taken with it. What else can you get for 50 euros that could bring as much positive feelings to yourself and others around you?

You are probably right and I am making a real drama out of a simple situation. I really need to get this done with and start shooting stuff..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all adapters to make lenses fit your canon are this expensive Smile M42 adapters can be had for 3 or 4 EU.

Keep the C/Y adapter in case you find a job lot with a C/Y mount lens in the future ? Or sell for almost as much as you bought.

I tend to buy one adapter a month. It spreads the cost and you never know when that lens you have been hankering for will turn up in a mount you've not used before Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One aspect of our hobby/passion is that beside the lenses or cams you have to spent a certain amount for different adapters - or you will concentrate only to one mount/adapter (for example c/y) and try to find good/excellent lenses for a low price.

I think this is an aspect of our hobby too - to look here and there to get bargains. To buy it in a shop or *bay is the simplest way - but not very exciting and sometimes the way with the highest prices.

Anyway, at the end it is better to buy with the budget one excellent lens rather than 3 "so la la" lenses.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember there's plenty of third party lenses about with C/Y mounts too Smile Plus Tamron Adaptall and Adaptall 2 lenses which sell for silly small amounts with C/Y mounts.

Also...as Martyn has already pointed out, most adapters are pretty cheap anyway (you paid a lot for the C/Y one, must have been very high quality). And do you really need AF confirm? Unless the chip is of the adjustable EMF type, it's pretty much useless anyway Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 Euros isnt that much Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Almost a universal solution Reply with quote

Do you have a PK-EOS adapter so you can mount Pentax bayonet lenses on your poor Canon? C/Y, OM and Nikon lenses can all be more-or-less easily alteried to fit a PK mount. Even less expensive M39-M42 and M42-PK adapters can be modified for Exakta-mount lenses to fit a PK mount also. So for very little money, all those lens types (C/Y, OM, NI, and Exakta) can use your PK-EOS adapter. There is no need to buy one adapter per lens mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to amend a (possible) bad decision Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

- Keep this one, play with it and later find lenses in cheaper mounts that suit my budget?
- Get rid of it right away, sell it for what it cost me and have zero money loss and start again?
- ?

I had the exact same dilemma! In the end, I said "Scr*w the budget! let's have some funs!" Missus was not very happy but other than that it's not too bad.

Now, back to your situation. IMHO, unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars (as you wrote) to go Zeiss, CY is not an ideal one-and-only mount, because you're limited to Yashica. However, the same can be said for OM, Nikon and FD. The budget mount with most varieties is M42: You got the Taks and plenty of Soviets lenses to play with.

In hindsight, the total money that I spent 20 lenses in all kinds of mounts (MD, OM, Nikon, AR, C/Y and C-mount) should have been better spent on one or two Zeiss. OTOH, I probably wouldn't have as much fun as I had with that varieties of lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to amend a (possible) bad decision Reply with quote

Think of it this way, what's the local price for the cheapest Canon prime, the all-plastic 50mm/f1.8 II?

Your "new" lens will be fun. You can now take shots that your kit lens won't handle. Have fun, practice, learn new techniques.

Also, there aren't that many common "families" of adapters compatible with modern Canon bodies. If you added a m42 and a Nikon adapter (both cheap) you'd be able to mount 75% of the lenses I see for sale on Ebay that are compatible with your body.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to amend a (possible) bad decision Reply with quote

[size=small]I do not know if this is the best place to post this but if not please move it to the suitable forum category.[/size]

I am in a bit of a "panic" since I have started realizing that my first MF lens was probably not the best option for someone on a budget.

When I bought my Yashica ML I did it because it costed me 20€ shipped, looking at the average price from auction sites I believe that was an ok deal for a lens that overall deserves some respect among MF lovers.

However I did not knew about the.. how should I call it.. premium(?) status of the C/Y mount, associated with Zeiss glass and the cheaper Yashica alternatives.
Looking at the prices for C/Y mount lenses I come to the conclusion that very hardly I will find any reasonably good deals considering I will be paying for decades old lenses that in most cases cost as much as the brand new, state of the art, auto-focus, built-in stabilization, etc., lenses.

In the pursuit for having a shallow depth of field prime lens I ended up spending a fairly reasonable amount of money:

- the lens : 20€
- the hood : 9€
- the adapter 32€
- shipping for the last two: 5€
- shipping for returning the adapter that had no AF confirm: 2€
- new adapter with AF confirm I still have to purchase: (at least) 14€

In the end this single lens will have cost me: 50€

I wouldn't be making a drama out of 50€, which is partly my fault, but I still haven't shot a single photo with it!

- ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Photography can be an expensive hobby.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to amend a (possible) bad decision Reply with quote

In C/Y mount you can buy Yashica 50mm/f1.4 for under 100€ shipped and this is probably one of the best lenses for its value.
I also don't understand why you payed so much for the adapter. Typical cheap C/Y to Canon adapter costs about 10€