Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A stroll in DUMBO with the 01a
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: A stroll in DUMBO with the 01a Reply with quote

I had an opportunity to take a walk in DUMBO / Vinegar Hill in Brooklyn NY this past Sunday, with two dogs and my Tamron adaptall SP 35-80 01a on the K100D. This area is Down Under the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges - full of old warehouses, lofts, some very gentrified, other parts still low cost artist's havens. There's a lot of street art, some sampled here.

All photos have some post processing - typically I dup the image, and blend it in 'soft light' to do a sort of selective contrast curve & color intensifier effect, and then adjust levels. The 01a responds well to this process, as it has very good resolution but tends to have lowish contrast.

And for something different, an Iris shot against the sun:

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nice to see areas we don't often see. I'm glad they are renovating. Sad to see areas go down and down and down.

I like the fancy double doorbell. Were the people all dressed up in #7 in a wedding or play or what?

Numbers 3-4-7-8 and 9 are my favorites. I think #9 is just fantastic. I love it. I never would have thought of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots Jussi! 2-5 and 9 my favourites Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facinating

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Class !
#4 !!!!!!! Laughing amazing...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the peeling paint and brickwork!

I too shoot a lot with this lens, usually on the Pentax K10D but also the Panny L-1... What settings do you find best in Photoshop to bring out the contrast etc.? I have noticed that this lens is rather flat compared with my other favourite the eye popping Planar F1.4 50mm

Thanks,

Doug

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #2#3, beautiful artwork!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Love the peeling paint and brickwork!

I too shoot a lot with this lens, usually on the Pentax K10D but also the Panny L-1... What settings do you find best in Photoshop to bring out the contrast etc.? I have noticed that this lens is rather flat compared with my other favourite the eye popping Planar F1.4 50mm

Thanks,

Doug

As I use elements, and though I got a curves freeware via Bill, I have developed a method that seems to work, I gave a quick summary above, but will do it more justice here:

I dup the image. I blend it in 'soft light' - the % varies, but usually around 25-33% is a start, and then add a levels layer to take care of too much space to the left or right of the histogram, and perhaps adjust the mid point.

Soft light is a sort of situational contrast adder - it is less strong than (what is that other mode right above it?) - which deepens color in the dark areas and brightens up the lighter bits. The main impression I get it gives a bit of clarity or brilliance. Or something like that Wink Makes it a bit film like. This particular lens benefits here, it has very good resolution but the contrast tends to be a bit flat. (On film I tended to shoot the contrastier formulations as a result)

Thanks for all the comments - I love finding those wheatpaste posters and photographing them, but their audience tends to be limited Wink

I've had this lens for 25 years now.

It has always had some curvature at 35mm, and I like this on film. On digital crop, a) 35mm is a bit limited and b) the curvature is more bothersome for a 'normal' focal length.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series Jussi! Thank you to take us there !