Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A mid-tele for landscape photography. Any suggestion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: A mid-tele for landscape photography. Any suggestion? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a mid-tele lens in the range from 65mm to 100mm for landscape photography. I know it's not a common focal length this kind of photography... this is the range of the portrait lenses.
I would appreciate lenses that are also quite cheap (who don't appreciate this? Very Happy ).

I was thinking about MC Jupiter 9, which has a big aperture together with an interesting focal length.
I would mount the lens on a Pentax K200D so I need a lens with an aperture greater than 2.8 (with smaller one - like 3.5 - would give me some problem with the split-screen in low light conditions).

Thanks.

Bye
Jenner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with the Jupiter-9 and landscape photography, it's compact and sharp stopped down (which is usually your aim in landscape photography).
Maybe the focal lenght is not common, I work very often with a 85mm in the field, also with the J-9.

But I would strongly recommend a lens hood, there's a original one, I have build my own hood, cheap but working. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to spend more, the Apo-Lanthar 3.5/90 SL is the best short tele for landscapes.
Sharp to the incredible, and you will never get those purple and green fringes around the branches that all portrait teles (those non APO I mean) will create.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i have the jupiter and really like it, although to be honest, i havent taken many landscapes with it, but have liked the results ive gotten from the few ive taken.

i think you would be very interested in a recent thread of mine here 'helios 40-85mm'
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-40-85mm-1-5-t24543.html

although it got OT at some point, the issue i was pursuing for discussion is the lack of quality and reasonably priced 85mm lenses. when you post a topic like yours--or mine--responses turn it into a 'what is the best 85mm lens youve ever used or heard of' instead of remembering the topic was VALUE and price is a consideration!

having said that, i do think you can also get a takemur for $200 or so; and an opteka (which i understand is a samyang) for $260. both of those i think are overpriced when you can get the jupiter for under $100 if you are patient. i personally have found the jupiter is the only quality 85mm to be found at that price point. i was hoping that my thread would enearth some others.

would you consider a zoom? for example, the yashica ml 28-85 i think is a really great IQ lens that can also be had for well under $100, but it only comes in contax mount, so i am unsure about compatibility with pentax...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If you are willing to spend more, the Apo-Lanthar 3.5/90 SL is the best short tele for landscapes.
Sharp to the incredible, and you will never get those purple and green fringes around the branches that all portrait teles (those non APO I mean) will create.

I agree with Orio here. If you shoot a m4/3 camera look for the CV Apo Lanthar 3.5/90 in LTM rangefinder mount.
The optics are in the same arrangement but the lens will cost you only around $200-$300 depending on whether it is new or used (can be double that for a reflex version if you can find one).

3 Other top choices IMHO
Contax 3.5/100 Sonnar Excellent sharpness, Contrast, Color, 3D effect and very compact $300-$400
Contax 2.8/85 Sonnar Same as above but slightly shorter and 1/2stop faster also a fantastic Portrait lens $250-$400
Zuiko 2.8/100mm Often overlooked. A Super overall performer and as small as a compact 50mm lens. This one usually goes under $100 on ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me, the Zuiko 85/2 isn't bad either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy, i have no doubt you are correct, but if you see a cv lanthar going for $200 please let me know, i will jump on it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biometar 80/2.8 P6 + adapter.

Maybe it's the cheapest one of them all. Sharpness is higher than Jupiter-9 offers and comparable to 1st grade lenses. Only bokeh isn't as interesting, but that doesn't matter for landscape.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
andy, i have no doubt you are correct, but if you see a cv lanthar going for $200 please let me know, i will jump on it!!!

It's a rangefinder lens Tony. Will not work with your 5D or any other reflex camera.
For m4/3 it is great. Jump now if you plan to buy any m4/3 camera in the future. Prices for these lenses will go up on the used market.

BTW
The AL 3.5/90 in LTM mount does natively only focus down to 1 meter unlike its reflex cousin. No Macro without tubes or bellows folks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andy; i know its an RF, but i am planning on getting an ep1, so if i saw one for that price i would get it in anticipation. the cheapest ive seen is about $350, and that's just too much for me to justify at my talent level/need level.
t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of @80-200 zooms that cover that fl on their shorter and usually better quality end.

Wide aperture would be a problem of course for zooms, but I am not sure you will really have a problem with the split image even at f/4.5

Why not try a cheap zoom and see what the results are first ? Tamron 103A would be a good start. If you don't like it you can sell it on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tak 105/2.8. Sharp and cheap. Helios 40, but it is fairly expensive these days.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider a Meyer Orgestor 100mm 2.8.
Here is an example:

Sorry about the colors but it's on a 40D that has been converted to infrared so the colors arent true to visible. However the lens is waaaay sharp, it's small and very sharp out tio the corners.

Here's another one with better color compensation:

These aren't very expensive, under 100USD. You might explore other Meyers in that mm range. There are a number out there and tend to be all excellent however there were a lot made for several mounts so be aware of that.

Jules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai or Ai-S. It has resolving power enough for largest full-frame sensors and the bokeh is very nice in close-ups. I paid EUR 90 for mine, I see them go for 100-180 EUR or USD, with luck less.

Very good performer, no CA worth mentioning and virtually free of distortion.

Samples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/105mmf25ai/interesting/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 90mm!

I use 24mm & 90 for landscapes. These are my favourite focal lengths. The great thing about a crop camera is it turns all my fantastic normal lenses into short teles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules - That's a nice looking lens. Is it the same as the Meyer 135?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey martin, ive been thinking about the tamron 90--you really like it? any examples?
thanks
t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Jules - That's a nice looking lens. Is it the same as the Meyer 135?

No but it's the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestor 100mm 2,8. One of my favorite lenses.

It's a small Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I would mount the lens on a Pentax K200D"

This is important information. Why bother trying to adapt Nikon, Olympus and other mounts and all those nice lens people are suggersting??? the Pentax takes EVERY PK mount lens made in the last 35 years and with the genuine Pentax Screw Mount adapter, will take any M42 lens easily and reliably.

I love Tamron, so i would suggest the 90mm f/2.5 with a PK adaptall mount. Affordable and easy to find too. If you're lucky enough to find a cheap (good luck... but got my 1st one with a lens for $20) PKA mount, then all modes work on the camera... except focus, of course Wink

Any chance of using a polarizing filter for landscape photo? If yes, forget about any MF zooms, most have a rotating front element.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. Tons of suggestions! Smile

@Orio: What kind of mount has the Apo Lanthar?

@no-X: a 80mm focal length it's really interesting. I also found P6 lens to PK body adapter on eBay. Have to look to some sample of this lens!

@patrickh: 105mm is a bit long... it comes near my Takumar 135mm... it's tempting, I like takumars! It's a lens a bit hard to find in Europe.

@lulalake: You mean the "Orestor", isn't it? Again an interesting lens (even if a little long), how it compares to the Trioplan?

@Fabulozz: Don't worry, I look for a prime. I'll take a look to the Tamron... but I have no knowledge about the adaptall mount.

Bye
Jenner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have the russian biotar : the Volna-3 2.8/80.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are really lovely colors....what is price of this lens?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have one on the "baie" for 69 US$ + 15$ shipping...
Click here to see on Ebay
This one is from 1987.

VOLNA-3, lens mount: Kiev 6/Pentacon six, multicoated, focal length 80mm, aperture speed 1:2.8, aperture stops: 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, focusing range: from 0,6 m to infinity, filter mount 62mm.

There is also one coming with its Kiev-60 camera for 160 US$ + 35 US$ for delivery.

Usually they seem to go between 80$ - 100$, + shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks olivier. i assume you use this lens on your canon with an adapter? and no problem w infinity focus?
thanks
tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
thanks olivier. i assume you use this lens on your canon with an adapter? and no problem w infinity focus?
thanks
tony

Yes Tony, I use it on my 40D with this AF confirm adapter :
Click here to see on Ebay
and I have no problem at all with infinity focus.

This adapter is also very good on my Sonnar 4/300mm