Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica 635
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Yashica 635 Reply with quote

A friend gave me his fathers old TLR from the 1960's

Its obviously a used camera. The hood hinge on top is broken, so it has been repaired with a vintage piece of Duct Tape. I have the leather case, which was really quite nice when new, but the leather is torn. It works though, the shutter and diaphragm work fine, and the lenses are amazingly clean and clear.

Its a Yashica 635, which was the cheaper member of the Yashica Twin-lens Reflex line. Unlike the more common semi-Pro Yashica 124's the 635 usually had a 3-element 80/3.5 Yashikor lens (like this one has), knob wind instead of the Rollei-style crank, and the shutter has to be manually cocked.

The real oddity of the 635 though is the fact that it was designed to be fitted with a 35mm film conversion kit, to take ordinary 35mm film cartridges. The left side of the camera has the 35mm film wind and rewind knobs. The 35mm kit (which I don't have) included all the various masks and adapters to complete the conversion. I don't see much value in all this but I suppose it made some sense to Yashica, as the 635's are quite common and even the 35mm kit is not rare.

I rather like this camera, better than my Rollei. The knob wind is not a problem to use and it is quite certain in operation; I can't seem to get used to the Rollei crank. The shutter cock lever is in an excellent natural position and I don't have a problem giving it a stroke of the finger just after winding. The groundglass image is much brighter than the Rollei, which is probably mostly why I like this Yashica better. Its a natural picture taker. I didn't think that street photography was an option with a TLR, but with this one it seems natural.

Performance ? Well, I like it indeed. I can't make any claims for sharpness for the Yashikor, but its much more than good enough for my second-rate scanner at 3200dpi.

Some pictures taken with a vintage telephoto attachment (which comes with matching taking and viewing lens components, VERY important !), that turns the lens into maybe a 120mm. It doesn't seem to degrade performance much if at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting equipment. These are 6x6 samples?

Sounds like mechanic's nightmare if the film advance system ever gets broken. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful camera, and superb b&w work, I especially like the light on the tiles, and the following corridor shots

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kit likes you very much. Which film?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Yashicor lens more than adequate despite it's being a triplet.
Nice people shots, Luis, hope to try some very soon, here are a few
color shots:

These from the Yashica-A, will be looking for the 635. The A has a pretty
bright WLF, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then the 35 kit shows up on the bay - here's one complete camera that ended yesterday, not a bad price:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film is Arista Edu 100 purchased from Freestyle photo. I think its actually Fomapan. I have it developed by Gasser in San Francisco.

Its 6x6 on 120, I don't have the 35mm kit.

The mechanics are really very simple, the film wind mechanism is just duplicated on the 35mm side of the camera. Its simpler than the crank-wind types like Rolleis.

Those color shots are great, the Yashica A has a Yashikor then ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got this camera too. Beautifully made to my eyes. I would love to try out the WA adapter set, but seems to be very expensive whenever it shows up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Those color shots are great, the Yashica A has a Yashikor then ?

Yes, it has the Yashikor, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great looking camera that produces great images!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Every now and then the 35 kit shows up on the bay - here's one complete camera that ended yesterday, not a bad price:
Click here to see on Ebay

He has that listed as having the 35mm adapter in place, but I don't see it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more from those rolls -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results!