Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wray-Pullin Anastigmat 4.5/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Wray-Pullin Anastigmat 4.5/135 Reply with quote

I've seen a few of these on efray that often don't make the starting bids. This one was listed vaguely but I thought I would take a chance so I bidded £0.99 (gbp) and was successful.

The lens arrived and has a 39mm thread mount which I hoped for as I have an M39>M42 adapter and a set of bellows waiting. I tried it out on the bathroom window handle (one of my fav tests for new lenses) and was rather disappointed. There was a lot of haze inside the lens making the image look like this:

I'm not the most experienced at taking optics apart but for the cost and the risk I thought I'd give it a go. Both ends of the lens unscrew easily and no tools are needed. I cleaned both sides of each element with lighter fluid and a lens cloth and also the iris, which incidentally has 10 blades so it forms a fairly smooth circle at any aperture.

The next test shot looked like this:

Impressed with the progress I took it out across the fields with it mounted on a tripod. Unfortunately it was windy and getting dark so opportunities were limited. Anyway, here's a few examples:

Crop (I didn't notice the little bug until I was editing)

3. (just testing distance shots)

Finally a pic of the lens mounted on bellows, attached to my 40D:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely interesting experiment, Martin.

The results (IMHO) are stunning. I like the sharpness shown on the second picture and the nice bokeh of #6. Also the well saturated colouring in all the pictures are saying you did a real good job with the lens!.

Congrats, thanks for sharing!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Wray Pullin Reply with quote

Great stuff - will it focus back to infinity ok on your bellows?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jes - Most of the shots were either F8 or F11. The bokeh is it's strong point. Contrast needs a bit of help. I may try to make or obtain a hood for it.

Stephen - This lens will actually focus past infinity. I've since added the largest and smallest extension tubes from a set of M42 tubes I have and it will focus to infinty and a little more. Unfortunately, a 135 on a crop camera is quite limiting, but fine for the kind of uses I want.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Superb result!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results - Numbers 6 and 7 are my favourites from the bunch - however, 6 would be better if the sensor debris spots weren't so visible Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
Great results - Numbers 6 and 7 are my favourites from the bunch - however, 6 would be better if the sensor debris spots weren't so visible Embarassed

I guess he will fix that before he sends the mounted exhibition print off to the Royal Photographic Society ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great stuff martin! I love trying something new, and this is no exception. The bokeh on that fence shot is unbelivable, and well worth the hard earnt 99p you stumped up for it! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing bokeh! And the golden colour is fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super results, these old lenses can be so wonderful - and not too difficult to clean. Thanks for keeping this one alive, and for showing the great results possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Mal1905 wrote:

I guess he will fix that before he sends the mounted exhibition print off to the Royal Photographic Society ...

LOL! It's amazing how quickly these build up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising results for 99p.
I wonder what image circle at the back that gives.