Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where to find a Canon 350D copper shim (focus screen)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Where to find a Canon 350D copper shim (focus screen)? Reply with quote

Well, maybe related to my latin mood, I use to get burned when I try to fix something and I cannot for a long time. Then I discard it for a while. And some time later I get back and spend more time until I get burned again.

That happened with the focusing screen on the 350D. I've invested (so far I should say "lost") uncountable hours to try to make the Virtual Village screen focus properly. Afterwars, I got a Katz-eye and I cannot make it focusing properly.

Now I'm back to this issue. Focusing screens are the natural way to focus. I've been taking perfectly focused images with them in the film cameras for years... And I want to get them working properly on the digital SLRs as well.

After so much handling, the copper shim seems to me a little deformed. Since I would like to start from a clean state and give the focusing screens a new try, I need a new fresh clean shim.

I've been today at the Canon technical service to buy one, but unfortunately they have told me that element is not in the breakdown and they cannot sell it.

Does anyone of you any place where I could buy one of such shims?.

Thanks in advance.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes:

I haven't seen the shim myself but if it's not too intricate, why not measure the thickness and cut one out of cellophane or some other very thin plastic?

If necessary, cut out multiples to build up the thickness.

Just my 2p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a fiddly thing to copy. what ever you replace it with should have even thickness
failing that maybe order a selection of the sample copper sheets form here http://www.whimsie.com/copper%20sheet.html#anchor35030

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was also thinking along the lines of shimming brass but figured that plastic would be easier cut.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Jes:

I haven't seen the shim myself but if it's not too intricate, why not measure the thickness and cut one out of cellophane or some other very thin plastic?

If necessary, cut out multiples to build up the thickness.

Just my 2p.

Thanks to both of you, Bob & Bob.
The problem with the shim is the precise thickness needed. That's why I'm looking for an original replacement...

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of contacting Haoda Fu? He supplies extras when you buy his screens. He may be able to sell you some. I have an extra from my screen but it's for 400D and I doubt it's same size or I would give to you for nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:
Have you thought of contacting Haoda Fu? He supplies extras when you buy his screens. He may be able to sell you some. I have an extra from my screen but it's for 400D and I doubt it's same size or I would give to you for nothing.

Thanks, Shad!. I was wondering if it would be a good investment to try a third focusing screen and I was thinking in Haoda...

How is working yours?.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am extremely happy with it. I can not find a single thing to complain about with them, other than I wish they cost less Very Happy On his old screens you didnt use the shim but on his new ones you do. You can still buy the old ones if you really want.....
I have read on a few forums that people had used some thin tape on their screens to help adjust focus. I can't remember where though

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:

I have read on a few forums that people had used some thin tape on their screens to help adjust focus. I can't remember where though

Here, for one. Both Jes and myself have tried this and I found that, while it worked, there was never quite enough exactitude with tape - so I howked out the VV screen and went back to a standard screen with FC adapter. Now the focusing isn't too bad, just got to work on reducing shake - I suddenly realised today that sheer laziness is causing shake; I tend to leave the cam in AV mode and let the shutter speed set itself, but in dull conditions it's often setting the speed too long. I think I'll be better off doing full manual and controlling speed in a fixed fashion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understand that. I made myself go full manual and slow down with my pics. I don't take near as many now but the results are much better!

Sorry that the tape didnt work out. I wish I knew where Haoda gets his plastic shims, that would make things easier!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:

Sorry that the tape didnt work out. I wish I knew where Haoda gets his plastic shims, that would make things easier!

If he's sure of his market size (and it's grown over the past couple of years) it would be worth his while having them made from scratch, by moulding or stamping.
If I knew exactly what size I needed I would find a sheet of the right thickness and cut one out as a one-off, but the screen retaining clip was showing signs of weariness, so I'm leaving it alone now. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would be same thickness as 400D shim? If so, like I stated earlier, I have an extra that I would give away and send for free. Anything to help a fellow Retrotographer!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon have 10 shims from 0.05mm to 0.50mm in step of 0.05mm

- different batch of dslr need different thickness,
that's confirmed in internet where I read different users need different thickness for 350D.

- the maximum calibration that canon can provide is 0.05mm
with tape you could reach 0.01mm

The fact is that canon doesn't care to provide exact focus and assume users will only use AF

Jes aren't you happy with the Pentax k100d?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Jes aren't you happy with the Pentax k100d?

Poilu,
The Pentax has very nice features, like the image stabilization in the body, the nice focusing confirmation for all the lenses, but it has some flaws (in my opinion) regarding to light measuring. In Av the light metering simply doesn't work properly, and in manual mode you have to push the AE/L button before each shot to measure the light. It's just a minor annoyance. However I miss on the Pentax the light metering scale that shows in manual mode on the Canon. But on the other hand, with the Canon I cannot focus properly... So I'm bouncing back to try to fix the focusing in the Canon. I will use both of them, the Pentax low noise sensor is a dream compared to the Canon one, but the 8Mpix in the Canon give much better images than the 6Mpix on the Pentax. Also the Canon has more adapters for different lenses than the Pentax. My lens collection is based mainly on M42 lenses, but I got a couple of Contax and some Exakta, and for those there is no adapter for the Pentax.
So, since I own both, I'll use both, depending on circumstances.
And to use the Canon, I want/must/desire to fix the focusing issue...

Jes.