Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's this strange T marking on a 58mm F2 Biotar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: What's this strange T marking on a 58mm F2 Biotar? Reply with quote

Looks like a red T with two more red horizontal lines. Any ideas? Maybe just an engraving error? It has an Exakta bayonet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost looks like the put the normal T on there an then crossed it out. "Oops this one didn't get T coating, sorry..." Smile

really, I have no idea and I have never seen it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called "Flying Kite".
Guess it is just a way to prevent trademark hassles with Zeiss West-Germany. Have several Zeiss lenses with this markings. Not often to be found.
Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm what Klaus said, I got the same info. They just weren't allowed to mark their multicoating "T*"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Interesting, I learn something new every day about Carl Zeiss Jena Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting indeed.

Btw, this is a letter from the Greek alphabet (the greek equivalent for X actually...).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that too,

Xsi , but wikipedia says " XI"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:
I thought that too,

Xsi , but wikipedia says " XI"

Quite right, this is how it's pronounced. I'd say the more correct is "Xi" (or "Ksi" if you like...).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Biotar that has lettering wiped out as if it was melted (the "Biotar" part and one other small area where it might have had either a T* or a small logo - can't tell now). I saw another one like that on ebay from a seller I know and when I asked him about it he suggested it might have been done to allow it to be imported or shipped outside East Germany. Has anyone else seen such defaced CZJ lenses around? The other interesting part about my copy is that it has Germany engraved on the barrel but before that someone has scratched "Lens made in USSR occupied".

This one is different though - it's a professional job and looks neat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scratching and altering might have happen in USA, just at the customs. It happened with Exakta cameras with Varex name. Varex was a trademark of Argus for their shutters and custom would not clear any cameras until the Varex was removed, altered, partly riveted, scratched out.... which finally let to many interesting usa variations for collectors Wink
And lenses and cameras were marked Made in USSR Occupied Germany, just to warn US citizens that they were supporting a communist regime by purchasing the lens/camera....
Maybe there was something like that with the Zeiss trademarks, too. I have a couple of lenses with aus Jena namering and T 1;2,8 f=50, instead of Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2,8/50 (same game with Biotar, sonnar...). Underneath this aus Jena ring you can frequently find the original ring with sometimes, not always, scratched out lens name and Zeiss name. And with a completly different lens number!

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
This scratching and altering might have happen in USA, just at the customs. It happened with Exakta cameras with Varex name. Varex was a trademark of Argus for their shutters and custom would not clear any cameras until the Varex was removed, altered, partly riveted, scratched out.... which finally let to many interesting usa variations for collectors Wink
And lenses and cameras were marked Made in USSR Occupied Germany, just to warn US citizens that they were supporting a communist regime by purchasing the lens/camera....
Maybe there was something like that with the Zeiss trademarks, too. I have a couple of lenses with aus Jena namering and T 1;2,8 f=50, instead of Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2,8/50 (same game with Biotar, sonnar...). Underneath this aus Jena ring you can frequently find the original ring with sometimes, not always, scratched out lens name and Zeiss name. And with a completly different lens number!

Klaus

Just to add that this also happen for the other way around.
West Germany Zeiss had to change they name to "Opton Oberkochen" in the early 1950s, during the period when the ownership of the trademark Carl Zeiss name was in dispute between the Dresden/Jena group in East Germany and the Oberkochen/Stuttgart group in West Germany.The Westerners, having the money, ultimately won out.

Last edited by Keysersoze27 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post-WWII Jena used the original T-coating and marked on the lenses as such, but of course T* was an Oberkochen development so Jena did not have anything to do with it. However, Jena's multicoating method for their telescopes and binoculars was officially known as T3M and yet it was never marked on photographic lenses as such, "MC" was pretty much universally understood anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Klaus!

I also searched a bit and found this informative article here: http://www.pentaconsix.com/jena.htm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent article!

I've had a number of Pentacon 35mm SLRs that had had the Pentacon name ground off, and a Meyer Primoplan with the name ground off of its ID ring. I'm not sure what was up with these... the Pentacons might have been defaced by the factory to be sold for private-label remarking, as all of the rebadged ones I've inspected have had the original name defaced underneath the attached "Hexacon" or whatever nameplate. The US in particular seems to be zealous about this sort of thing - Asahi Pentaxes were defaced if they didn't carry Honeywell markings, even if they were carried home by tourists who bought them in Japan.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
... and a Meyer Primoplan with the name ground off of its ID ring. I'm not sure what was up with these...

Have some, too. And above these manipulated rings, sometimes sat rings with funny names, like Imoplan.
Another nice name-variation, I had, was a Tessar for Praktina with a name ring Tessinterimar. A Tessar with interim in the middle.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cute! i haven't seen that one! who ever said communists didn't have a sense of humor?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

West Germany Zeiss had to change they name to "Opton Oberkochen" in the early 1950s

Actually, it was "Zeiss-Opton".
I have this denomination on all my West Zeiss lenses of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:

West Germany Zeiss had to change they name to "Opton Oberkochen" in the early 1950s

My mistake... Opton Oberkochen was in some early 70s Rollei lenses Confused

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

Actually, even after Oberkochen legally got the rights to use the name "Carl Zeiss" in 1954 (IIRC), they still marked their lenses Opton for markets where they did not have the legal rights to the name "Carl Zeiss". I have seen lenses for Rolleiflex SL66 marked as such. Of course, in markets where they could use "Carl Zeiss" they certainly did that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strange think about my lens is that it still carries the Carl Zeiss Jena marking - only the Biotar and a logo were erased.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
The strange think about my lens is that it still carries the Carl Zeiss Jena marking - only the Biotar and a logo were erased.

Obviously there was some place and period of time where Zeiss West had got hold of the "Biotar" trademark, but not of "Carl Zeiss".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Orio wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:

"Opton Oberkochen" was also used on Hasselblad lenses of the same era. As explained by Seele, this was the norm in markets in which they could not use the "Carl Zeiss" name due to legal rights issues.