Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
SMC Pentax Zoom 1:4/45-125mm

That is a great zoom. I have a pretty beat up copy with a scratched up front element and it still produces better images than many a modern zoom. I have a second one coming in from Japan.

I know! Used to have two m42 and one like this, sold... Useful focal range for crop and full frame sensors. Excellent IQ from wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YASHICA LENS ML ZOOM 42-75mm 1:3.5-4.5 MADE IN JAPAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pater_68 wrote:

Not a bad lens at all, apart from its slightly unusual 42-75mm focal length!

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome pater_68

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
I just took delivery of a Steinheil Tele-Quinar 200mm 4.5 in M42 mount. Yes, it is quite heavy (660 gr). But I am blown away by how sharp it is, even wide open. And the build quality is second to none. My Schneider Kreuznach 200mm 5.5 has just lost its place as the best 200mm lens that I own. Although when I go to the zoo for example I will still be carrying something a little less heavy (the Minolta MDIII 200mm is nice and light weight for such purposes).

This is my first Steinheil, but probably not the last one.

Regards, C.

I've been able to clean my pristine looking sample today; one lens surface just in front of the aperture was heavily fogged, and a second on slightly. Now I'm curious to see how it performs!

S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pater_68 wrote:

Welcome to the forum, will be happy to see some photos with your new lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosinon 2.8/135mm and 2.8/35mm, both included in a set of eight "defective" SLRs - some in fact defective, others not so much Wink

The 2.8/35mm was not new to me; I had bought another sample a few weeks ago for next to nothing. It is optically quite a good lens - better than the average 2.8/35mm from the late 1960s (such as the Konica Hexanon AR 2.8/35mm or the Minolta MC 2.8/35mm [7/7]), but not as good as the best 2.8/35mm from the early 1980s (e. g. Minolta MD-III 2.8/35mm).

The Cosinon 2.8/135mm - a rather short lens for its focal length - reminds me of the later Tokina RMC 2.8/135mm. Both lenses are surprisingly sharp wide open, though with a slightly low contrast. Lateral CAs are well controlled, and both lenses don't really improve much when stopping down.

Both Cosinon lens barrels (2.8/35mm as well as 2.8/135mm) are rather "low quality". Focusing has gone dry, and there's a certain amount of play as a result of the (now partly missing) lubricants.

Also included in the mentioned set of "defunct" cameras was this Vivitar (Komine) 1.9/35mm. The lens has a quite good reputation, and it certainly is better corrected than the Nikkor AiS 1.4/35mm, but not really on par with both Minolta 1.8/35mm computations (the large MC and the smaller MD). While the barrel feels solid, focusing is nowhere nearly as smooth as with the MC-X Rokkor 1.8/35mm. Up to now I have only compared the resolution on 24MP FF (infinity), but not its bokeh, distortion and vignetting.

S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
connloyalist wrote:
I just took delivery of a Steinheil Tele-Quinar 200mm 4.5 in M42 mount. Yes, it is quite heavy (660 gr). But I am blown away by how sharp it is, even wide open. And the build quality is second to none. My Schneider Kreuznach 200mm 5.5 has just lost its place as the best 200mm lens that I own. Although when I go to the zoo for example I will still be carrying something a little less heavy (the Minolta MDIII 200mm is nice and light weight for such purposes).

This is my first Steinheil, but probably not the last one.

I've been able to clean my pristine looking sample today; one lens surface just in front of the aperture was heavily fogged, and a second on slightly. Now I'm curious to see how it performs!

I have recently done a quick test of my most loved/better/interesting vintage 180/200mm lenses.
The results weren't exactly as I expected. Some humble/old lenses performed very well, while other more expensive objectives (especially the faster ones) didn't meet my expectations.
The best M42 vintage 200mm lens was the Steinheil f/4.5. No doubts about that.
Mine comes with the huge, beautiful original hood, which could have helped tame loss of contrast and reflections. I didn't shoot contre jour though.
The lack of fringing and the out-of-focus rendition were exemplary. The sharpness level was perfectly fine wide open, and more than good stopping down one or two clicks.
Bumping up the contrast a little bit, and giving a touch of fine tuning in post processing, made the overall quality of the image almost on par with the best MF objectives I own (in the 180/200mm focal range).
Considering that the lens has more or less my age, has a rather conventional design, and of course is single coated and has none of the special glasses that would become commonplace in expensive Tele lenses made 25/30 years later... well, the performance of this old fellow is simply amazing.
The perceived build quality is also very good, and seems to confirm the high standards followed by Steinheil at that time.
Btw, I find the lens very beautiful. Which doesn't hurt. Isn't it? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked STEINHEIL lenses (the original brand, not the later who just (mis-)used that name), have quite a few of them, quite good despite their simple designs - they knew well what they were doing back then! Wink

This here is the rarest one of my small collection and only one known to exist...(from the Steinheil Museum when it was dissolved) - it is from around 1920, one of the fasted lenses for UV EVER made!

and it still delivers (reflected UV image):

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I always liked STEINHEIL lenses (the original brand, not the later who just (mis-)used that name), have quite a few of them, quite good despite their simple designs - they knew well what they were doing back then! Wink

This here is the rarest one of my small collection and only one known to exist...(from the Steinheil Museum when it was dissolved) - it is from around 1920, one of the fasted lenses for UV EVER made!

Impressive lens! Like 1 Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1
Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, that lovely Steinheil 50mm Quartz lens Klaus. Fabulous piece of optics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the quartz left- or right-handed? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!

visualopsins wrote:

Cut in a way to avoid birefringence based side effects - did you really expect STEINHEIL not to know about such?
That lens was originally made for their famous UV spectrograph to record faint UV spectra...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Very interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Thanks guys!!

visualopsins wrote:

Cut in a way to avoid birefringence based side effects - did you really expect STEINHEIL not to know about such?
That lens was originally made for their famous UV spectrograph to record faint UV spectra...

Whoa! How does asking about crystal lattice direction equal me expecting Steinheil not to know about it?

Birefringence is at minimum cut along the long axis, yes, but the question is: is the quartz crystal structure left- or right-handed? I wonder did they mine that quartz or make it? Smile

You probably know http://quartzpage.de/gen_phys.html others maybe not...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Thanks guys!!

visualopsins wrote:

Whoa! How does asking about crystal lattice direction equal me expecting Steinheil not to know about it?

Birefringence is at minimum cut along the long axis, yes, but the question is: is the quartz crystal structure left- or right-handed? I wonder did they mine that quartz or make it? Smile

From what I read they were using large clear chunks of Brazilian mined quartz and cut it in Germany. Quartz prisms were cut left and right orientated, polished to high precision and then combined to eleminate birefringence effects.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor 90-230mm f4.5

A very common Tokina made lens in many guises but it is in mint unused condition with integral tripod mount, a M42 T4 mount and it cost me pennies.

Photo courtesy of seller.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Thanks guys!!

visualopsins wrote:

From what I read they were using large clear chunks of Brazilian mined quartz and cut it in Germany. Quartz prisms were cut left and right orientated, polished to high precision and then combined to eleminate birefringence effects.

Thank you! fascinating

Lenses are easier than prisms. Laughing Cut lens blank wafers from longitudinal cylinder...

However, the question remains, is the lens quartz left- or right-handed? (or mixed?) (Note: asking about crystal growth here. Smile )

Another question: does light pass from top to bottom or bottom to top of long axis in the lens?

I don't know how these can be determined if not documented.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my birthday is this month, so my birthday gift is on the way.

Soligor C/D 28mm f2 lens with caps and case. Unfortunately it's in OM mount, so I'm adding another mount.
I also have a K&F Concepts OM / E Mount adapter on the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Well, my birthday is this month, so my birthday gift is on the way.

Soligor C/D 28mm f2 lens with caps and case. Unfortunately it's in OM mount, so I'm adding another mount.
I also have a K&F Concepts OM / E Mount adapter on the way.

I just won a Soligor C/D Wide angle 58mm lens hood. This is for the 35mm, but will work fine on apsc and m4/3 cams.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

No, I' didn't know ... Interesting to find there, in the "recommended books" section, the "Quarz Monographie" from Rudolf Rykart. When I was a kid, he and another guy were responsible for the large crystal collection of our local science museum in Lucerne. In fact they were, to some extent, responsible that I later would study chemistry ...

Thanks for the link.

S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just came up a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 chrome-nose at the salvage shop.. i've already got an nFD 50/1.4 but have heard this older one has nicer rendering somehow (different formula? haven't looked it up yet), excited to give it a proper try once the sky clears up a bit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total