Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Seagull Reply with quote

well, y'all know how it is.. for $6 i couldn't pass up this novelty: a shanghai-made-for-chinese-market, licensed minolta MD clone.. but what i really want, is their earlier gold-nosed biotar/helios clone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Orestor 100mm f2.8.
T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
T

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seagull Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
well, y'all know how it is.. for $6 i couldn't pass up this novelty: a shanghai-made-for-chinese-market, licensed minolta MD clone.. but what i really want, is their earlier gold-nosed biotar/helios clone

I think I have the same lens, only badged as a Kalimar, it came with a Kalimar KX-5000 camera which looked never to have been used. My copy of the lens was okay, not outstanding, but a long way from being 'the worlds worst lens' as proclaimed by one Mathieu Stern.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Seagull Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I think I have the same lens, only badged as a Kalimar, it came with a Kalimar KX-5000 camera which looked never to have been used. My copy of the lens was okay, not outstanding, but a long way from being 'the worlds worst lens' as proclaimed by one Mathieu Stern.

i definitely have worse Laugh 1 i took it out and shot a bit around sunset last night, i wouldn't call it bad as much as uninteresting... sharpness wide open is fairly good, rendering is just a bit boring

been doing product photos of my wife's quarantine sewing and knitting projects for instagram

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So having been behaving myself relatively well, the last thing I remember in the post was a late model biotar 58/2 on exa, the lockdown broke me and ive just spent on a comparatively cheap Takumar 35/3.5. (non MC, M42) 😁

So as for the Biotar,

Trying it wide open is next.. 😁

The windfarm shots I did have to tweak the contrast a bit as I didn't have anything in the way of a actual glass filters for the light at the time..

It's fast becoming a favourite but I'll see how the Takumar 35 performs, especially since it'll be real close to a 50mm equivalent length on a crop sensor.

Hope you're all staying safe..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
T

❤️

They're sooo dainty..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
T

❤️

They're sooo dainty..

Yes.

I've got a minty one, and it's excellent. One of my favorite landscape lenses, but it's good at everything.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Seco Optics 300/4.2 Reply with quote

I bought this lens from Goodwill for not much. I never heard of Seco Optics before, an internet search shows a company selling surveying equipment, and another person asking about a different model Seco Optics lens, but not much else. The lens is a 2 element, with a third optical flat to stop dust at the rear. 18 blade aperture, the filter size is 67, so the aperture reading of 4.2 sounds false. The lens has design similarities to one of my Piesker 400/5.5 lenses. There is nothing to say where the lens was made. The focus scale is in feet only, indicating it was intended for the US market only. Some design elements point to a fairly vintage origin, but the graphics on the sticker look slightly more modern. Has anyone else used something similar?

Last edited by Alun Thomas on Tue May 05, 2020 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyer Paris Topaz 105mm f4.5 enlarging lens.
I have hopes of adapting this little triplet for portraits.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Tom

You think it is better for portraits then the Orestor?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

You think it is better for portraits then the Orestor?

I am still waiting for the Orestor.
It is on a slow boat from Poland Smile
The Boyer only had to come a few hundred kilometres, but was already in the country.

Tom Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the left hand lens. a Carenar 35/2.8, the only thing that piqued my interest was that it seems to be a sibling to the Montgomery Ward 28/2.8, having the same quite distinct focus marker. I haven't seen that mark used on many lenses, but am not sure if it denotes a unique manufacturer which always used that mark, or was just used occasionally or for a period by one of the main manufacturers of the period and then discarded.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lastly, I received the left hand lens, a Petri 35/3.5, which I did not know the existence of before stumbling across a blog entry here: http://myphotojourney.co.uk/review-35mm-f3-5-lenses-uv-shootout/

Apparently it can be used for UV photography, from what I can gather this generally means that it could have been considered a lower quality lens back then and probably used cheaper grades of glass which allowed UV transmission, something which the better manufacturers took pains to avoid.

I don't know if this lens is a restyled version of the earlier Kuribayashi / Kyoei 35/3.5 which is also known for its UV transmission abilities.

Pictured with a Petri 35/2.8 for size comparison.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
So having been behaving myself relatively well, the last thing I remember in the post was a late model biotar 58/2 on exa, the lockdown broke me and ive just spent on a comparatively cheap Takumar 35/3.5. (non MC, M42) 😁

Nice pick. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do Like 1 .

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porst Macro-Tele 135mm f/2.5 in m42 mount.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3rd. Rollei planar 50/1,8.
In the color ultron version. S/n 2.3xx.xxx

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Are there any notable differences in IQ between the three?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
papasito wrote:

Are there any notable differences in IQ between the three?

No.

The three have different coating.

I saw that in several lenses. Pancolar and Pentacon 50/1,8, etc.

Minimal diferences in color cast, no more.

IQ seems to be very similar, at least to my eyes in aereal images.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to work on cleaning it up but I was more concerned about removing the lens from the body first. I know the Electro 35 lens is more popular for this retrofit but I found a resolution chart and apparently this lens (from the Lynx 5000e) was sharper than the Electro's. Assuming I don't completely screw this up I may post some updates on the forum in the future.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just arrived this week:

Auto-Topcor 58mm f1.4 by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I just received the left hand lens. a Carenar 35/2.8, the only thing that piqued my interest was that it seems to be a sibling to the Montgomery Ward 28/2.8, having the same quite distinct focus marker. I haven't seen that mark used on many lenses, but am not sure if it denotes a unique manufacturer which always used that mark, or was just used occasionally or for a period by one of the main manufacturers of the period and then discarded.

I have a carenar 45mm f2.8, very plastic-y construction. Havn't used it in a while, but it performs well enough. I believe it is a tessar design.
I would be interested to see results from your 35mm. I don't see many of these carenar lenses around, though I have had a lens tech friend who suggested that they were potentially made by cosina?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very cheap buy - a case with two bodies and three lenses. a Revueflex AC1 and the identical Chinon CE-3 Memotron,
tough build cameras from 1978/79.
The three Revuenon lenses are the well known 1.4/55mm (Tomioka), the 2.8/35mm and the 2.8/135mm in M42 Mount.
the 55mm comes with stucking "open" aperture, but no big problem - after a blades cleaning all is fine and nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bobo777"]Going to work on cleaning it up but I was more concerned about removing the lens from the body first. I know the Electro 35 lens is more popular for this retrofit but I found a resolution chart and apparently this lens (from the Lynx 5000e) was sharper than the Electro's. Assuming I don't completely screw this up I may post some updates on the forum in the future.

Looks like the rear is quite identical to my 45mm 1.7. Which would make mount conversion easier for a nice result.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62522120
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3902440

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst