Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well used but mechanically and optically (I hope, it is clear) working copy of the smc Pentax-a Macro 50mm 1:2.8

SMC Pentax-A Macro 50mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-A Macro 50mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest lens is on the way. Canon New FD 28mm f2. Hopefully it doesn't have the roller problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came along and I just had to get it. €30

SMC Pentax 200mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax 200mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
My latest lens is on the way. Canon New FD 28mm f2. Hopefully it doesn't have the roller problem.

To go with the 28mm f2, I just bought a Canon New FD 100mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta_Chiyoko_Collection by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Minolta 3.5cm F3.5, complete with Case, original front and rear caps. I suspect there are very few of these rear caps left intact. I am leaving a filter off this one while it is in the case- would stress it, the case it that tight.

Does anyone have an idea of how many of these were produced in Leica Mount? Judging from the number seen on Ebay, it would be in the hundreds- compares with my Nikkor 5cm F1.5 in Leica mount for frequency of auctions.

I am now closing off my collection of Minolta lenses in Leica mount, this took a while. The Minolta 5cm F1.8 is the same basic 6/5 layout of my Minolta Hi-Matic 9 45/1.7 PF that I've had since 1969. Great lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ fiftyonepointsix

Truly Spectacular !!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
@ fiftyonepointsix

Truly Spectacular !!

Yes they are. I'm pretty sure I drooled on my smartphone screen, looking at those beauties.
I wish they were mine.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased a micro-nikkor 55mm 2.8 in excellent condition.
Very nice macro lens for a quite reasonable price!
Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fiftyonepointsix

Nice collection and quite a heavy investment to built it from scratch at present market prices, particularly outside Japan.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all- What I'm observing- prices on many uncommon lenses are coming down, prices on better known lenses have gone up. I suspect the mirrorless boom has people bidding up easier to find lenses that have a good reputation. Rare/uncommon lenses- people do not know as much about them, "fly under the RADAR". The set of eight lenses were less than a Demo Leica Summicron-M 50/2. Collected over the last 8 years, got hooked on the 5cm F2 Minolta.

Prices on Pre-war Zeiss Sonnars have more than doubled in the past few years, adapters are more common. Prices on Nikon Leica mount lenses- way up. Canon lenses- the 50/1.2 way up. Uncommon lens like a Canon 50/2.2 in Leica mount: way down, got one on near mint condition for $100.

I think this is a good time for collectors. Sell off some of the duplicates, buy rare lenses that were in the stratosphere but now coming down.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's radioactive - I know the EBC version has a radioactive front element. It had a very slight yellow tint when I got it, though that vanished after a few hours under my UV bug light.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 1940s Set by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Five Nikkor lenses and a finder- The collapsible is a 1948 batch, all others are from 1949 batches. When David Douglas Duncan and Horace Bristol visited Nikon, these are the lenses that were in production. DDD bought a Nikkor 5cm F1.5 and 13.5cm F4 for his Leica, same batch as the lenses here.
Took me 20 years to collect these at relatively reasonable prices. The Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5 in Leica mount is rare, maybe 300 made. I've read that DDD preferred it over the first generation Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.4. Nikon revised the optics on it because of his feedback. I've shot both lenses side-by-side. the F1.5 is a little smoother. The subsequent batch of 5cm F1.4 lenses have increased radius on the optics and the fixture, all of the 5cm F1.4's used 43mm filters. I learned this after taking apart a number of these lenses. It seems to back the story of the revised optics. The 5cm F1.5 uses 40.5mm filters.

I'll probably get some shots of the Canon 50s in LTM next. I'm stuck in my room, "Self Quarantine" until I get test results back. Day 6 and no symptoms- but being careful around my family. The Canon lenses- hard to believe how low the prices have come. Two near perfect 50/1.8 in LTM for $50 each, one chrome and the other black.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fiftyonepointsix
You need to tell us more about the performance of these lenses.

On my side bought today a Tamron 90 macro 52 B.

Seems excellent.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 West Germany

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cameraderie.org/threads/nikkor-8-5cm-f2-early-leica-mount-903-series.38573/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/nikkor-sc-5cm-f1-5-in-leica-mount-1949.37800/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/nikkor-3-5cm-f3-5-leica-mount.38555/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/nikkor-13-5cm-f4-leica-mount-on-the-m9.38513/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/minolta-chiyoko-8-5cm-f2-8-in-leica-thread-mount.38668/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/minolta-chiyoko-50-2-super-rokkor.38388/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/minolta-super-rokkor-5cm-f2-8-a-derivative-of-the-cooke-triplet.39390/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/minolta-5cm-f1-8-leica-thread-mount.39515/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/minolta-chiyoko-11cm-f5-6-leica-thread-mount.38615/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/minolta-chiyoko-13-5cm-f4-leica-mount.49701/

I had a lot of images on Flickr- until they changed the rules. Folders arranged by the Lens. Most of those are gone.
I post a lot of threads on lenses in the Leica Showcase, what used to be leicaplace.com- now merged with a couple of forums:

https://cameraderie.org/forums/leica-showcase.173/

Once I'm out of "quarantine"- have a backlog of some lenses to shoot with.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Pentacon Prakticar 50mm 1.8 (last model) in nice condition, with original caps, in a shrift store.
Couldn't let it there and paid € 7.50..

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I found a Pentacon Prakticar 50mm 1.8 (last model) in nice condition, with original caps, in a shrift store.
Couldn't let it there and paid € 7.50..

I paid a lot more than that for mine and still consider it good value.
It is a wonderful lens

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
- clip -

Minolta 3.5cm F3.5, complete with Case, original front and rear caps. I suspect there are very few of these rear caps left intact. I am leaving a filter off this one while it is in the case- would stress it, the case it that tight.

Does anyone have an idea of how many of these were produced in Leica Mount? Judging from the number seen on Ebay, it would be in the hundreds- compares with my Nikkor 5cm F1.5 in Leica mount for frequency of auctions.

- clip -

I am now closing off my collection of Minolta lenses in Leica mount, this took a while. The Minolta 5cm F1.8 is the same basic 6/5 layout of my Minolta Hi-Matic 9 45/1.7 PF that I've had since 1969. Great lens.

I'm very jealous of your collection! And your lenses are in such beautiful condition!

There is also the 35mm F1.8 and 10cm F3.8 if you really want a complete collection for collecting's sake, but I can see why you would be willing to skip those! Wink For which, I have only seen one or two 35mm F1.8s in collector's hands and I believe the total sales were only something around 300. (top serial I've seen is only 203). For the 3.5cm F3.5 I'd estimate under 5000 assuming the serials are proper as the other lenses are, then the lowest is 366 and highest 3146, but I never thought to record these before - it's just in my notes. I have no idea of the proportion between Super A mount and LTM but I guess it is in-line with the other lenses. What is the serial on yours if you don't mind? Maybe the serials even continued directly off of the 300 of the 1.8 lens. There are also 3- and 6-bladed versions of the 3.5cm F3.5 and a viewfinder labelled 35mm F3.5 sold separately (I assume, because it has its own box).

The two 35mm lenses and the 5cm F1.8 are all multi-coated.

I did record serials of the 5cm F1.8 and I recorded a total range of 9593 which is in line with that I've read, about 80% are in LTM and both come in metres (it should be for the domestic market) and feet (for the American/international market) on the distance scale. Of that, about 16% of the Super A mount are recorded in metres. About 88% of the LTM were recorded in Metres. But, hard to say if the Super A figure is accurate as my record does not have so many serials of those.

I really can't afford to fill a collection out with the rest of the lenses and can't normally justify it as I won't use most of them - and I'm not really that type of collector. I do regret passing up the opportunity to buy the 8.5cm F2.8 at a good price, and my 5cm F1.8 was perhaps a little overpaid but I bought it locally, and although it seems to have some bubbles in the rear glass and some old cleaning scratches on the front, I can't at all fault the images it produces. It's easily my favourite lens, and I use it on a Bessa R.
I'm not sure that the glass bubbles are original or the result of cleaning or deeper s, as bubble-free glass was jointly developed in 1952 between the 4 glassmakers and the Super Rokkor came by 1958. The marks sit at the surface of the rear element and one is more like a line than a speck, so maybe it was just damaged during the grinding process. Has anyone else noticed this in their early Minolta lenses?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for this information- very little information is available for the Minolta lenses of the 40s and 50s.

The seller did a great job of photographing the lens, SN visible:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Chiyoko-Rokkor-3-5cm-1-3-5-35mm-VTG-Leica-LTM-Mount-Prime-Lens-w-Case/353069676511

And the lens is as beautiful as it appears.
I've read about the 35/1.8 Minolta lens. You can go crazy trying to collect every last lens made.
For me- the Nikkor 5cm F1.5 was "THE" lens that I had to have.

Last edited by fiftyonepointsix on Sun May 17, 2020 12:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
The seller did a great job of photographing the lens:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Chiyoko-Rokkor-3-5cm-1-3-5-35mm-VTG-Leica-LTM-Mount-Prime-Lens-w-Case/353069676511

And the lens is as beautiful as it appears.
I've read about the 35/1.8 Minolta lens. You can go crazy trying to collect every last lens made.
For me- the Nikkor 5cm F1.5 was "THE" lens that I had to have.

Thank you. I think you got a good price considering it's with the accessories, usually they are listed for quite a bit more as Minolta A models seem way more common (or maybe that's because people are not interested to buy them), and I'm not sure if they had the bubble case also or not.
The Nikkor should be very nice, too, and I would even rather have that than some Minolta lenses haha.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou again for this information- Nikon and Canon have the excellent books by Rotoloni, Kitchingman, and Dechert. It would be interesting to see more information on the Minolta lenses published.

My opinion- The Minolta line shows the pragmatism of the Japanese market for price and performance. Not the fastest lenses on the market, not the slowest. No 50/1.4 or 50/1.2 in the line-up, kept out of the Nikon/Canon speed race. Very well made, excellent choice of materials down to the lubricants used. I've opened a lot of Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, and Leica lenses to clean haze out from each side of the aperture. Not so with the Minolta lenses. Choice of glass: the hard part of collecting Canon lenses= finding clean ones. The glass used starting ~1956 reacted badly with the lubricants used. Finally have a clean 50/1.2, an early one that came with Vt Deluxe. First one without damage to the surface behind the aperture.

To add- on pricing, the seller and I made offers/counteroffers. My last, added a note that I had the MIOJ Nikkor 3.5cm in both LTM and S-Mount, and the pair cost me less than this one. He accepted that offer, was $425. I'm happy. I wanted the set as I've used Minolta since 1969.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently added the Canon 50/2.8, Canon 50/1.2, 50/1.8 black, and Canon 50/2.2 to the Canon Leica Thread Mount set. The 50/1.2 is the third that I;ve owned, but the first clean one. The 50/2.8 is the earlier version- I've had two late versions that were unusable due to etched glass. The 50/2.2: much better than what I've read about it. The 50/2.2 was only in production for 6 months, ~3000 made. It used to get crazy prices: this one was ~$100. The 50/2.8 - $60, and the 50/1.8s were $50 each. The 50/2 is from the 1940s, and is rare- but this one is from a seller at a camera show that I've worked with for 25 years, it needed work, $50. Also bought the 50/1.9 at the same time from him for $50. That's the fun of collecting and doing your own repair.

Seven of these lenses were under $100- but prices on the 50/1.5 have gone up from the $70 that this one cost some 15 years ago. Canon lenses in Leica mount are bargains, BUT be sure to have return privilege to examine the glass for haze and etching. The later black lenses are noted for this, many- but not all. I'm not sure if it's because Canon changed the lubricant use during the production, or if the lenses received a CLA sometime in their life and the lubricant was replaced. I have seen many later Canon lenses with etched glass.

https://cameraderie.org/threads/canon-50mm-f2-2.49879/
https://cameraderie.org/threads/canon-5cm-f2-serenar.39481/

The clean-glass 50/1.2 shows it is much better than the reputation. I suspect the high number of damaged glass 50/1.2's has something to do with that.
https://cameraderie.org/threads/canon-50-1-2-in-leica-thread-mount.37767/

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
That's the fun of collecting and doing your own repair.

From the looks of it, you did a really good job!

50/1.2 in great condition is rare indeed. Looks beautiful.
I own FDn version, which to my eye is better in some aspects and worse in others.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80/5.6 Grandagon. One of 351, according to Thiele, as reported to me by Arne Croell.