Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
Gorgeous! Looks like it’s in great shape. Does it function okay?

Yes, it has been well looked after.
Even the self timer works.
The lens was made in the year I was born - so it is special to me Smile
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
This one Smile

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
This one Smile

Mk1 Varex with Biotar. Impeccable taste sir.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Finally, a Topcor 58/1.8 1964 vintage. Looks puny even on my 6D but packs quite a punch. Bright and sharp.

I replaced the native Exakta mount with an after-market M42 and use that adapter for EOS. Much more secure than the Exakta-EOS adapters I have. And I get infinity.

Could you plz share which one is they M42 adapter /mount you replaced to this topcor? Would it work with the 58 1.4 also? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny little 135mm 3.5 Mayfair Sankor preset lens in nice condition with T2 MD adapter.
And a Meopta Anaret 80mm 4.5 enlarger lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Could you plz share which one is they M42 adapter /mount you replaced to this topcor? Would it work with the 58 1.4 also? Thanks

Should work on any RE Auto. I have three.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-adapter-Topcon-Exakta-remounting-kit-BLACK-color-only-DIY-M42-cap-included/173556612250?hash=item2868c7bc9a:g:xQEAAOxyrrpTjf~I

Looks like he has only black available now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Should work on any RE Auto. I have three.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-adapter-Topcon-Exakta-remounting-kit-BLACK-color-only-DIY-M42-cap-included/173556612250?hash=item2868c7bc9a:g:xQEAAOxyrrpTjf~I

Looks like he has only black available now.

Thanx ,do you know where is he shipping from? To avoid extra charges

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leitz Wetzlar Elmarit-R 2.8/35mm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica GS salvaged Yashinon DX 45mm 1.7 that is converted to FE mount.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62522120

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dinkla

Is there a place when I can buy the printed piece (or a free file to print one)?

Very interested in that part to convert a GS yashinon

Many thanks

jnarciso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The self-medication regime I'm on in order to ease my Exakta illness has been having some nice side effects. Namely lens caps.... sorry... lenses, that would not normally bleep on my radar. Here is one case in point, my first ever Cooke triplet -

E.Ludwig Meritar 2,9/50 pre-set. 9v battery for scale - It's a titch.

You think of the elderly optical design, the 1940s styling, and then you see that flash of lovely deep blue coating. Mmm..It's not as old as it looks. This lens seems to perform better than the write-ups on the internet, although they do seem to show a pic of the zebra version when criticising its performance and ergonomics. And that's another thing. I find the ergonomics really good. They have kept it simple with deeply recessed glass to avoid flare, big clear numbering for hurried glances, and focus and aperture rings close enough so you don't have to shift your thumb and forefinger position to swap between them. The two rings are so different in feel their closeness has caused me little problem. Quite the opposite in fact, I've found myself, for the first time, quite intuitively focusing, then creating my depth of field, in one fairly fluid motion. I've been quite taken by this little thing in actual use.

Fuji X-E1. f/8. No PP. I chose f/8 but I actually have no idea where it performs best yet, for differing subjects.

Well, there's no hiding it could benefit from a couple of tweeks in PP. In its defence, that shot looks straightforward, but there's a large bay window to the right out of shot that really exercises a lens ability to cope with extraneous inputs, and here the poor Meritar is struggling to provide contrast, which in turn would give a better perception of sharpness. I can see why it came with the B.D.B. filter fitted. It does pick the contrast up a touch when fitted, but I wonder if that's because the filter recesses the lens even further, shielding itself better from the insidious 45 degree ahead side lighting. Sticking a hood on it will provide the answer.

Ach! I knew I couldn't leave the poor thing like that. A whisper of PP -

Onward...

Last edited by Sciolist on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnarciso wrote:
Hello Dinkla

Is there a place when I can buy the printed piece (or a free file to print one)?

Very interested in that part to convert a GS yashinon

Many thanks

jnarciso

There is a bit more to be done than printing the file. I have set the helicoid and contra helicoid as tight as possible to gain a bit on the minimal focusing distance, possibly to 60cm. Have yet to alter the infinity and nearby stops mechanism for that but right now it has infinity + the 80cm MFC as in the original camera. The 3D printed part + reverse ring depth total is 10.25mm measured on the assembled parts so including 3D part shrink. With the normal helicoids settings this would be too deep. Then there is some drilling and counter sinking to be done and finding the right screws for the job.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad day, first off I found an immaculate Sigma Mini Wide II 28 / 2.8 in M42 mount for £7 in a charity shop, it's identical to the 'Super Wide II' I already have, just a change of name?

Then I found a nasty looking Olympus OM 10 with a Zuiko 35-70 / 4 zoom in a pawn shop. But under the dirt it looked good, so for £15 I took a chance, and it paid off. It's all cleaned up perfectly, the lens is unmarked and very good, I took some test pic's and like it a lot. The camera is the same, with new batteries it all works perfectly, even the light seals are good. all it needs is a Manual Adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questar 700 8/700 Mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
decided to take a bit of a gamble and participated in an online live auction with an auctionhouse in the netherlands, and won this (poorly described) lot:

all i know about it is what you can see in the pic: a "red V" meyer optik trioplan 50mm/f2.9, prrrrobably a helios on that zenit, and who knows what in that extra lens case or on the praktica (wouldn't be mad if its the default pentacon 50/1.Cool ... might yet be more stuff in the big case too, can't wait to find out. hopefully it's not all junk.

so this arrived yesterday, and contained some pleasant surprises!

everything is M42, and included:
- meyer-optik gorlitz trioplan 50/2.9
- older model helios-44-2 58/2
- newer model pentacon 50/1.8
- carenar 35/2.8
and last but not least, the most pleasant surprise to me,
- sankyo kohki komura 135/35!

excited about all this stuff for different reasons, don't know what to shoot with first (jk of course it's the trioplan)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
this arrived yesterday, and contained some pleasant surprises!

Congrats! That's a nice haul. It's always pleasing when a gamble pays off.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

Congrats! That's a nice haul. It's always pleasing when a gamble pays off.

Like 1 small

was definitely worried it'd be a pile of dusty moldy garbage, but everything is nice and clean and usable, only real defect is the komura 135mm seems to be stuck wide open

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tales from the medicine cabinet #2.

1956 Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50 'T'.

There are few certainties in life. But death, taxes, and owning a tessar at some point are probably three of them. Funnily enough a tessar has not so much as darkened my doorstep until a month ago, and now I have two. Is that how it works with tessars?

I first acquired the 'leather' version as it is known, the one sandwiched between the more famous 'Star Wars' and 'Zebra' versions and subsequently this one, which was the last of the silver versions, and one that the Zeiss designers set about shrinking as much as they could after the previous iterations had grown in size each time.

It would be too easy to compare this lens with the meritar 2.9/50, another Exakta 'kit' lens (god I hate that term), but I will anyway as the difference is straightforward. The Meritar has better ergonomics, the Tessar has better optics - I know it's subjective, but it's quite a sharp lens and the saturated colour is noticeable. Phew! That was easy. I mention subjectiveness, because from what I've seen so far, I actually prefer the PP'd images I can produce from the Meritar. A style of rendering can be produced that I particularly like.

This tessar is also the first lens where rather than force bokeh bubbles out of it, I've had to rein in it's propensity for producing them. It will provide a froth of the bubbly stuff at the drop of a hat, and seems to revel in doing it.

My usual test shot next to the bay window. As is often my style, I've ballsed it up. I took a standard shot with all settings flat on the X-E1, then went back in and did some light tweeking in PP. Except I saved the tweeks to the original, rather than creating a copy *sigh*. This is why I'm not a millionaire photographer I suspect Crying or Very sad .

F/5.6 @ 3m. Focal plane on the grass stems. Fuji X-E1 on Standard setting, all parameters set flat... then some light PP applied (Grrrrr…)

Still looks a little flat to me. Onward...

Last edited by Sciolist on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest lens came today.
Soligor Miranda 2.8cm f2.8.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

and last but not least, the most pleasant surprise to me,
- sankyo kohki komura 135/35!

Interestingly enough, I also just got the same lens as a mystery 135 in a poorly described lot. I did not pay much attention to it - I was like, ugh another 135 preset, may be 10 bucks. In truth, I am not so much excited about the lens as about the m42 Unidapter that came with it - for several years now I've been sitting on a 105/2.5 without one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a mint copy of a Vivitar series 1 70-210 F2.8-4 V3. I already own the version 1, but the V3 apparently has better optics and was Max F2.8 vs the constant F3.5 of the V1. Plus it has the pretty red ring. Not the best picture but I think it looks damn sexy on my A7r.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

Interestingly enough, I also just got the same lens as a mystery 135 in a poorly described lot. I did not pay much attention to it - I was like, ugh another 135 preset, may be 10 bucks. In truth, I am not so much excited about the lens as about the m42 Unidapter that came with it - for several years now I've been sitting on a 105/2.5 without one.

i don't know why exactly, but i like the build quality of them somehow, just feels nice to hold them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
My latest lens came today.
Soligor Miranda 2.8cm f2.8.

WooHoo.
Good one Walter
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC01812 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
DSC01812 by Mr TTT, on Flickr