Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky! And heavier than something this size should conceivably be. What exactly is this little thing made of? Lead ? [scratches head].

1962 Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Curtagon f:4/28mm.

It's probably because I've been playing around with a few 1950s lenses, but at first I found the contrast it was producing was pretty hard and unyieldy, but, I've either got used to it, or I did something when I gave it a quick wash and brush up. By the way, this lens must be one of the easiest in the world to adjust focus on, not that I've adjusted that many.

MFD. f:8. Std setting on Fujifilm X-E1 (apsc), all parameters zeroed.

I'm pretty happy with that 'out of the box', so it wont be going to pp.

It's not going to cut your fingers, sharpness wise, but I'm satisfied with (and find quite satisfying anyway) this level of sharpness

1:1

That's not a photo smudge in the middle of the guys hair, it looks like that. Baldness setting in I suspect.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the dkl mount? I love these lenses , a step ahead of many of those times, smooth focus, nice sharpness and colors ,never seen this focal length before, they seem to be pretty rare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Is it the dkl mount? I love these lenses , a step ahead of many of those times, smooth focus, nice sharpness and colors ,never seen this focal length before, they seem to be pretty rare

Yeah, it's a dkl. I'm just getting to know them. This 28mm has the shortest focus throw I've ever experienced - I'd say about 60 degrees (yes, 60 degrees Shocked) f:8 will give you 4 ft (1.2m) to infinity, so I suppose you don't have to employ the focus ring that often Smile, but as you say, it is smooth. It is absolutely aching for a focusing tab. I'm going to see if there's something suitable I can use.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Funky! And heavier than something this size should conceivably be. What exactly is this little thing made of? Lead ? [scratches head].

Good information. I've been wondering whether my Retina-Tele-Xenar 135 f4 was the only Schneider DKL lens that heavy. Whenever I use it I can't help but wonder how they managed to make a short, fat 135mm f4 weigh more than a 200mm.

It's a neat lens though, so I'm interested everything you have to say about your Retina-Curtagon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 35mm 3.4 that is very very good also, even if the lens it's got poor coatings, you've got the original hood , that's very good ,as it flares a lot. Many times I was wondering how could they use such a good grease in those times, taking into account that there are quite a lot of newer lenses with stiffed focus and aperture rings. Finally, you'll fall in love with these dkl's, and probably already got the 50 f2, mine is Septon ,only 5 blades , but one of the best of the dkl mount.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Good information. I've been wondering whether my Retina-Tele-Xenar 135 f4 was the only Schneider DKL lens that heavy. Whenever I use it I can't help but wonder how they managed to make a short, fat 135mm f4 weigh more than a 200mm.

It's a neat lens though, so I'm interested everything you have to say about your Retina-Curtagon.

I purchased the 135 f:4 with the 28mm. I concentrated on getting the 28mm up and running, so I've only just begun looking at it, but I'd agree, it's a heavy thing for one so small.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Well, the Dynarex 135 f4 is the smallest in it's focal length, nice vintage colors, prone to flare (I don't have the hood) and it would sit very nice to the XE1 type mirrorless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
There's a 35mm 3.4 that is very very good also, even if the lens it's got poor coatings, you've got the original hood , that's very good ,as it flares a lot. Many times I was wondering how could they use such a good grease in those times, taking into account that there are quite a lot of newer lenses with stiffed focus and aperture rings. Finally, you'll fall in love with these dkl's, and probably already got the 50 f2, mine is Septon ,only 5 blades , but one of the best of the dkl mount.

Thanks for the info kiddo. I'm just starting to familiarise myself with what is out there. I actually have a 50 f:2.8 color-skopar sitting in a bag in bits, and I'm going to try and put it back together with time over the easter holidays. I've found a youtube vid for the Schneider 50 f:2.8 that looks identical in its constituent parts, or at least the parts that I've reduced to their constituents. Luckily I didn't get to the optics/helical.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya sekor dtl 55/1,4

Mamiya SX 55/1,8

Mamiya SX 135/2,8

Mamiya sekor tl 55/1,8

All good, but the SX 55/1,8 is fine, very fine lens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="papasito"]Mamiya sekor dtl 55/1,4

Mamiya SX 55/1,8

Mamiya SX 135/2,8

Mamiya sekor tl 55/1,8

All good, but the SX 55/1,8 is fine, very fine lens[/quote]

Truly excellent lens, a gem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooler than a cool thing from Coolnavia.

1962 Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Tele-Xenar f:4/135. DKL mount.

The satin finish around the front of the lens was patchy and unsightly, so I took it back to an edge to create a ring of chrome. It looks okay to me. A word of warning - I was able to rub off the satin finish with a damp(just water) Q-Tip in about 10 minutes. So I intend to keep fluids of any kind away from the rest. It was scarily easy to remove it.

Sharpness wise, incl. longer shots up to infinity, I couldn't see any difference with my Super-Takumar 3.5 135. Perhaps the adage that it's pretty hard to make a poor 135 is true. Colours are good. MFD is terrible.

Shot in RAW at mfd (14 ft, or 4.2m!) f:8. No PP. Fujifilm X-E1 APSC.

Some veiling there killing contrast, but it's defying the very strong wall of light off camera to the right comparitively well. Looks like a shade would come in handy with all that glass up front.

Light seasoning to taste (yes, it's a bit dark - it's a phase I'm going through).

Onward...

Last edited by Sciolist on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice pair of silver fuji with satin finish DKL.....awesome, the MFD could work it up with the helicoid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
What a nice pair of silver fuji with satin finish DKL.....awesome, the MFD could work it up with the helicoid

That's a good point. I understand the theory, and in using 27mm of M42, a 17 - 31mm helicoid would work well (I think), It's just that I've never used a helicoid. Maybe I should just jump in. Typical though, my dkl mount is to pk, and looking around ebay, m42 provides more options. I suppose you can never have enough dkl mounts Wink .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
kiddo wrote:

That's a good point. I understand the theory, and in using 27mm of M42, a 17 - 31mm helicoid would work well (I think), It's just that I've never used a helicoid. Maybe I should just jump in. Typical though, my dkl mount is to pk, and looking around ebay, m42 provides more options. I suppose you can never have enough dkl mounts Wink .

I use DKL-M42 on top of M42-FX with a macro helicoid, which in the case of the Retina-Tele-Xenar becomes a minimum focal distance of about 1 meter helicoid. Wink

Like kiddo said, you should definitely check out the Voigtlander 135 Super Dynarex f4 if you get the chance. It's extremely light and small. IMO it beats the Schneider on every level except possibly for use as a weapon. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Sciolist wrote:
kiddo wrote:

I use DKL-M42 on top of M42-FX with a macro helicoid, which in the case of the Retina-Tele-Xenar becomes a minimum focal distance of about 1 meter helicoid. Wink

Like kiddo said, you should definitely check out the Voigtlander 135 Super Dynarex f4 if you get the chance. It's extremely light and small. IMO it beats the Schneider on every level except possibly for use as a weapon. Cool

Lol Laughing Yep, the Schneider is the ideal thing to put in a sock if you're expecting the wrong kind of visitor. And I'm going to have to go dkl - m42 I think. I'm going to look through the Voigtlander catalogue, although I've noticed others must have the same idea as they seem to command a premium.

Have either of you guys tried the Rodenstocks?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They saying dkl voigtlanders are proning to decement elements ,good to watch it out be4 buying ; my septon, is fine though, i have no clue if Schneider's suffer from it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodenstock are very sought-after Eurygon, Heligon,Rotelar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Thanks kiddo Like 1 .

Looking around ebay there appears to be 17-31mm helicoids and 27-60(ish) ones for M42. In terms of my first helicoid, would either do?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Looking around ebay there appears to be 17-31mm helicoids and 27-60(ish) ones for M42. In terms of my first helicoid, would either do?

I've got the standard Fotasy one that looks like a hockey puck with hole in it. It's held up to heavy use for a year now without any signs of wearing out.

Voigtlander lenses are targets for collectors, but the Super Dynarex 135 is pretty inexpensive. I hunted on ebay for a couple of weeks and snagged a near mint copy with original caps and original leather case for under $50. It wildly outperforms its price.

Now I'm lusting after the Super Dynarex 200 f4... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Thanks KEO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice flea market found today - a 1956 Praktica FX2 with a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2.0/58mm lens in top condition Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMC Tokina 50-200mm F3.5-4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:
nice flea market found today - a 1956 Praktica FX2 with a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2.0/58mm lens in top condition Smile

Like 1

Excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and an early Porst 1.2/55mm in PK-Mount

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:
and an early Porst 1.2/55mm in PK-Mount

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1