Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is your favourite portrait lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Attila

I think my next exploration is going to be pentacons, since it seems I shall be able to keep the infinity focussing.

How can you do it ? This is impossible without lens modofication or without extra lens in adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How can you do it ? This is impossible without lens modofication or without extra lens in adapter.

An used Pentax SV body in good condition should cost less than $50 from a reputable seller, and it is a very nice camera, perfectly usable with any M42 lens without any adapter Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see I thought Patrick would mount these lenses his Nikon D200

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... that's really hard.

It used to be my Jupiter-9 and this one still is one of my favs, but since I more and more shoot indoor ambient light portraits, the very fast 50mm lenses (Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55, Revuenon 1.4/55, Pentax-M SMC 1.7/50, Mamiya 1.8/55 etc.) have become my favourite portrait lenses.

Sometimes I like to shoot with a good 135mm (outside) or with a 35mm lens to get more than just the face.

The Yashica ML 1.7/50 turned out to be very usable for portraits and I have certain hopes for my Rollei Planar 1.8/50. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the registration distance of the Pentacon medium format lenses was greater than that of the Nikon DSLR, and so I could get infinity focussing?

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I thought the registration distance of the Pentacon medium format lenses was greater than that of the Nikon DSLR, and so I could get infinity focussing?
patrickh

Yes indeed.
Who said the contrary?

-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "Pentacon" word coming into my mind Pentacon lenses not Pentacon Six medium format lenses. I tried many Pentacon Six lenses , (P6->Nikon adapter available on Ebay), let me know Patrick if I can help which lens should take first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Pentacon alone is ambigue, one should always say "Pentacon 6".

-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite in order of how often I use them

Rollieflex 80mm planar 3.5
Contax 85 f1.4
Contax 100 f2
Super Takumar 85 f1.9
Pentax 6x7 105 f2.4

Maybe this will all change. Yesterday I finally received my first DSLR. It is a Canon 40D. I have mounted the Contax 50mm 1.4 and this seems like a really nice combination for portraits. Maybe the Rollie does not belong on the list since it's lens is dedicated. It is the camera I use the most to make portraits. Having the camera away from your face really helps to engage the subject I think. The Contax 100 f2 seems to me a little sharper/brighter than either 85, but sometimes that is nice. The 105 on the pentax is a great lens and a super combo. I know pentax had an adapter for some 67 system lenses to mount on K cameras. But I have never found one. It would be great to find an adapter for these. There are some fantastic lenses in that system.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Legendary lenses!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 2.8/135 Auto "Red" MC
Jupiter-37A
Zuiko Olympus OM 3.5/135

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Wow! Legendary lenses!!

Yes and a fantastic new cam! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both. I have been resisting the Digital SLR for some time. It is time though. Now I can make some photo contributions to this great site. First I must "go to school" with this new body. My most sophisticated camera until now was a Contax Aria (I love this camera). All these menus on the Canon are making me a little crazy. It will come though I am sure. [/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, Orio, Lucis et omnes gentes

I would love advice on which Pentacon 6 lenses to go for

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focal length ?

I amazed by CZJ 180mm Sonnar in all variant (I have all) Smile
CZJ 300mm Sonnar less good, but still excellent and fast F4

I write more if you let me know what focal length do you want.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LensLunatic wrote:
Orio wrote:
A couple snapshot portraits that I took with the Summicron-R 90 wide open, after the sunset, with almost non-existent available light. The ISO was high so I had to denoize and this subtracted further detail.
Early members have already seen these, but maybe newer members have not.

Orio,
... these are great pics. For portraiture, I'd not go for max sharpness anyway, so I don't care about highly detailed reproduction of (skin) crinkles, but for best skin tone & light effect rendering... the "glow", or "character".

Absolutely agree LL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Attila, Orio, Lucis et omnes gentes
I would love advice on which Pentacon 6 lenses to go for
patrickh

These are the lenses that I have:

MC Sonnar 4/300 Carl Zeiss Jena extremely sharp, very bulky but recommended
Jupiter-36B 3.5/250 very sharp, rather compact but very heavy, recommended
MC Sonnar 2.8/180 Carl Zeiss Jena the best of all P6 lenses, very recommended
MC Biometar 2.8/120 sharp, perhaps lacks a bit of personality
MC Biometar 2.8/80 good sharp standard lens
MC Volna-3 2.8/80 standard Russian lens, not as good as Biometar
MIR-38B 3.5/65 extremely sharp, very recommended
Flektogon 4/50 sharp and geometrically correct but slow for a 135 reflex
MIR-26B 2.5/45 focuses close, but maybe not super sharp

I also have a Kaleinar-3B 2.8/150 but it's still in the mail from Attila, I will let you know when I get it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Thank you very much. Time to start searching

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, again, was faster!

I do not have personal experience with P6 lenses, but I would have said (based on reports I've read) that a set consisting of a MC Sonnar 2.8/180, a MC Biometar 2.8/80 and a MIR-38B 3.5/65 (due to Orio's enthusiasm about this lens) is about all you need.

But Orio has already given you excellent information.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Kiron 105mm f/2.8

2) Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

3) Tamron SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4

I'd list the Pentacon 200/4 too because of the nice bokeh and colors, but 200mm isn't really a portrait length anymore on a DSLR Smile

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Kiron not too sharp for portraits ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Is Kiron not too sharp for portraits ?

To me, no. I like sharp portraits.

Depends on the subject too.

If it's a pretty girl I'll use the J-9 for the softness, but if it's an old man with lots of skin texture, the sharper the better Smile

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes! You have right! I did learn something new, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Attila wrote:

An used Pentax SV body in good condition should cost less than $50 from a reputable seller, and it is a very nice camera, perfectly usable with any M42 lens without any adapter Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

YEAH
I have this wonderful camera.
the pic shows it with my beloved biotar 58/2, a pentacon metal hood.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic thread. Thanks for digging it up.

I'm still trying to find my perfect portrait lens, but so far MF choices are Tak 1.8/55, Meyer 2.8/135, CZJ 3.5/135 and Vivitar Series 1 2.8/35-85.