Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the best 135mm lenses and why ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: What is the best 135mm lenses and why ? Reply with quote

I found the best lens in this focal length Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5 for animal portraits and nature, because excellent sharp and it has very good bookeh also. For human portrait I like so much Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 , best version is "Zebra" bokeh exceptional , best what I ever seen. I found Asahi Pentax Takumar 135mm f/3.5 and Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 also very good but I rate under than first two. I like Jupiter-137A and Tair-11 133mm too.

Last edited by Attila on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:18 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best 135mm lenses and why ? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I found the best lens in this focal length Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5 for animal portraits and nature, because excellent sharp and it has very good bookeh also.

I haven't voted yet, as I'm not sure I can give an accurate answer.
Here's an example of an image taken with the CZJ 135, shot at F/5.6 @ 1/400th with harsh backlight from the sun.
-Bruce

And here's a crop from the same image to demonstrate detail in the shaded area.

However, The Super Tak 135 F/2.5 is not to be ruled out either.
Here's a test shot I took last year, taken at F/5.6 @ 1/160th,

And of course, a very small crop to show detail. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best 135mm lenses and why ? Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't voted yet, as I'm not sure I can give an accurate answer.
Here's an example of an image taken with the CZJ 135, shot at F/5.6 @ 1/400th with harsh backlight from the sun.

Excellent answer thanks Bruce! Hard to make difference between them I know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: What is the best 135mm lenses and why ? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Excellent answer thanks Bruce! Hard to make difference between them I know.

Thanks Attila, Coincidentally, looking at the first image I posted here, I'm reminded of the pleasant bokeh of the CZJ 135mm. (I haven't looked at that one in a long time. ) Wink
-Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics, Bruce! Wink Glad to see the noose didn't have 13 loops! Shocked

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill.
katastrofo wrote:
Glad to see the noose didn't have 13 loops!

Just a visual deterent for those that might be thinking about jumping the fence. If you had seen the sign that went with it, You'd know what I mean. Twisted Evil
-Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballen Photo wrote:
Thanks Bill.
katastrofo wrote:
Glad to see the noose didn't have 13 loops!

Just a visual deterent for those that might be thinking about jumping the fence. If you had seen the sign that went with it, You'd know what I mean. Twisted Evil
-Bruce

This is a side of Bruce we haven't seen! Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce that's an Exclamation impressive Exclamation bokeh you have there in the 1st picture!
Grass blades and twigs are a real torture test for bokeh, and your CZJ has smoothed them out like butter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
This is a side of Bruce we haven't seen!

Ever seen the movie "True Lies"? In the imortal words of Arnold; But they were all bad, Honest. Wink
-Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Grass blades and twigs are a real torture test for bokeh, and your CZJ has smoothed them out like butter.

Thanks Orio, That lens is among my list of "keepers". Smile
-Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Weirdest, not best Reply with quote

I have multiple 135mm.. But I want to show (may be) the weirdest 135mm lens I have, (some might have seen this)

Result for this lens,

The setup details,
Vintage Friedrich Corygon lens in Compur shutter on Canon 350d/rebelXT.
To Make focussing work, I used M42 Bellows.
Lens details: serial number79097 C. Friedrich Munchen Corygon 13.5 cm f/4.5 lens in a Compur 1A shutter
And surprisingly, the setup is handy.
(Information I received from other person (on web forums)
The dial-set Compur shutter was made by F. Deckel and was a common high-end shutter used by lens and camera manufacturers. The dial-set Compur came out in 1912, and the smaller sizes were largely replaced by the rim-set type in 1928, but it does not mean a dial-set unit was never sold to the public after 1928.
Regarding the markings on the shutter: D.R.P. refers to "Deutsche Reichspatent" which was only used prior to WWII; that is indication enough.)

Hope, not spoiling the party of best with weirdest stuff... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu, you are the winner Smile, strange combination true, but seems works well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Weirdest, not best Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
I have multiple 135mm.. But I want to show (may be) the weirdest 135mm lens I have, (some might have seen this)

I believe I "have" seen this somewhere before. Wink
The results of this contraption are "EXCEPTIONAL"! Gotta love it! Very Happy
-Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm a new guy here~ nice to meet all of you~

Is the Asahi Super Takumar 135mm F2.5 good? Rolling Eyes
I got a Carl Zeiss Jena MC 135/3.5, dunno which one is better~

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stopwind wrote:
Hi all, I'm a new guy here~ nice to meet all of you~

Is the Asahi Super Takumar 135mm F2.5 good? Rolling Eyes
I got a Carl Zeiss Jena MC 135/3.5, dunno which one is better~

Nice to meet you! Thank you for joining us! I have experience with Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 and Asahi Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5. I suppose they are optically and mechanically same I didn't see any difference. 135mm f/2.5 Takumar is faster but I not sure same sharp at wide open than slower lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Difficult... Reply with quote

I cannot decide between the CZJ 4/135, the Pentacon 2.8/135 and the Jupiter 37A...

I have several other 135mm lenses and plan to do a test.
So, I'll wait with my vote.

Carsten

@Ballu: Great construction!!!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Stopwind.
stopwind wrote:
Is the Asahi Super Takumar 135mm F2.5 good?

YES! The Super Tak is VERY good! Then again, so is the CZJ. What it all boils down to is "taste". You have to decide for yourself which one fits your preferred style, look, or taste best. I know, Decisions, decisions.
Get "both". Nobody said you can't have one of each? Very Happy
-Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballen Photo wrote:
Hello Stopwind.
stopwind wrote:

YES! The Super Tak is VERY good! Then again, so is the CZJ. What it all boils down to is "taste". You have to decide for yourself which one fits your preferred style, look, or taste best. I know, Decisions, decisions.
-Bruce

Very smart ! Get both ! Simple answer and best answer! Really ! Both lens are perfect .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballen Photo wrote:
Hello Stopwind.
stopwind wrote:

-Bruce

Yea~ It's a good idea~ Maybe it's better for me to pick a Super- one instead of SMC-~ Many ppl said that SMC is much better~ but the price is also more expensive Razz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Aetna tele Rokunar 135mm f2.5 Reply with quote

Aetna tele Rokunar 135mm f2.5
This lens looks like Spiratone 135mm f2.8, just little faster. But superb lens. I paid very small amount for that. The focusing mechanism is little broken. It focuses to infinity by only half, and the focusing ring is very tight (only after quarter of the scale). But heck.. this is sharp. Its huge piece of glass.
This was a test I did long time back. Focussed on Yellow sign. (At least tried, as I didnt have a split prism screen at that time)
@2.5 http://farm1.static.flickr.com/107/278894504_4474926fb4_b.jpg
@2.8 http://farm1.static.flickr.com/107/278894507_ada604c661_b.jpg
@4.0 http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/278894509_d54cfbe884_b.jpg

This lens results are superb. This is my portfolio with this lens,
http://flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/tags/aetnatelerokunar135mmf25/

My fav,

Tak 135mm f3.5 used to be my fav, but this beats tak upside down (overall, sharpness.. never tested). I got Preset Tak 135mm f3.5. Haven't used that yet. Will vote after the test walk with new tiny gem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balu, this is fantastic I will try to hunting down this lens. Many thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Balu, this is fantastic I will try to hunting down this lens. Many thanks for sharing!

A picture of the lens wouldn't hurt either (hint-hint) Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ballu: I've never heard of that lens, but it really seems to be very good.
The small additional step from f2.8 to f2.5 gives it some pleasant softness and at f2.8 it is much sharper than most other 135mm lenses!

Carsten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are pics of lens,

I will get the side view (tonight) and post that too...
This is preset lens with 14 blades iris (If I counted correctly)..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 11A/4? I have just aquired one of these and waiting for a good picture from it, initially it seems sharp I take it the Tair 11 is a different lens?