Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the best 135mm lenses and why ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are different lens, I have Jupiter-11A only that is an excellent sharp lens.

I guess you asked Tair-11A the newest probably MC version. I have an older Tair-11 133mm M39 lens I just love it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Best 135mm? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new here (came across this link over the site adaptall-2.com because I have some/many Tamronon-lenses in use).

In former years I tried several different camera-systems in order to find the best for me.
Due to financial reasons I had to find the most economic way between quality and money.
I compared Canon FD, EOS, Contax/Yashica, Leica R, Rollei, Olympus OM and Pentax.
I usually tried 28 or 35 and 50 and 135mm lenses.
Here's my result (from memory) - with film-slr!
1. C/Y Sonnar 2.8
2. Pentax A 1.8
3. Rolleinar 2.8
4. Pentax K 2.5 on par Leica 2.8
5. Canon FD 2.8 on par Pentacon MC 2.8 (non zebra-version, one of the latest)
6. Pentax 3.5
7. Olympus 2.8

Quite disappointed with the Leica lens - I expected much better results...
Pics had a different 'feeling' though - but sharpness/contrast wasn't the strongest thing from the Leica.

Formerly I had made a comparison between the Pentax lenses and the Porst 1.8/135:
The Porst was obviously weaker!
At F 2.8 it came a bit closer - but only in the real center of the pic, the corners were really still quite bad.
I never tested apertures from 4.0 and above.....

When I compared some 135mm lenses with my dslr (Pentax DS) I hadn't all these lenses (esp. the 1.8 had to go in the meantime... sadly):
1. Pentacon MC 2.8
2. Pentax K 2.5
3. Pentax 3.5
4. CZJ Sonnar 3.5
5. Mamiya SX 2.8

Surprisingly the differences between the Pentacon and the Pentax 2.5 on dslr!
Perhaps my copy of the CZJ was not that good (as I ecpected) but the others were simply better!

One thing about the 50mm race:
Zeiss 1.4 and Pentax K 1.2 on par at the top - better than Leica R 2.0 !
(never had an Oly 50mm-lens or the Canon EF 1.4/50 USM)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here Paul! Thank you for joining us! Your list is very valuable for me, because you have or had many lens what I certainly don't have. Interesting you also marked Pentacon 135mm as one of the best lens same than me. I don't know why so low priced on the market. Perhaps the quantity , the reason too much available on the market.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stopwind wrote:
Hi all, I'm a new guy here~ nice to meet all of you~

Is the Asahi Super Takumar 135mm F2.5 good? Rolling Eyes
I got a Carl Zeiss Jena MC 135/3.5, dunno which one is better~

There are 2 version of Takumar 135mm, f/2.5.
Second one is the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Interesting you also marked Pentacon 135mm as one of the best lens same than me. I don't know why so low priced on the market. Perhaps the quantity , the reason too much available on the market.

I guess it has different reasons:

1. Made in GDR (former eastern Germany) but not the Zeiss Jena name
2. GDR exported quite cheaply to get international/western currency
3. M42-mount that not many do like to handle with (except for lenses with extreme big apertures like 1.8/135 or CarlZeiss Jena lenses for the Zeiss name)

I bought this lens from a collegue who was the 1st owner. Wanted it for indoor sports shots with my EOS (via adaptor) for 2.8-Canon-lenses are much too expensive!
Then I found some guy in dpreview (if I remember correctly) who confirmed my findings. He made some superb shots with a dslr. I find the results from this lens from a dslr even better than with film-slr....