Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is "good bokeh?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me: "The crazier and messier the better" (with mf lenses).

I love character. If I get payed for shooting (like events or studios), then I use my AF lenses and digital body (less room for error).

If I shoot for myself, I like the biggest lenses with the strangest attitude and ofcourse film cameras.

Purely subjective in my case.
"Theres a tool for every job."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Arkku!

To really evaluate the Bokeh characteristics of a lens, you have to compare it to other lenses using the exact same motive.
The motive depends on what you want to show, or what interests you.

E.g. you can check the circle of confusion:

Or the behaviour with crosses:

Most things you read on the internet on the Bokeh of a certain lens are not true, but based on subjective impressions from some images.

In my opinion, most modern lenses today are not optimized for Bokeh, but for sharpness and contrast. You can see this in the circle of confusion that always has this bright border (see above) in background. It is said that this is due to an over-correction of spherical abberation to improve sharpness.

What I would like to see is a lens that is showing a real Gaussian brightness distribution in the CoC of the background.

A lens optimized for Bokeh is e.g. the Minolta/Sony 135mm STF lens (--> Google).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
Well said, Arkku!

To really evaluate the Bokeh characteristics of a lens, you have to compare it to other lenses using the exact same motive.
The motive depends on what you want to show, or what interests you.

E.g. you can check the circle of confusion:

Or the behaviour with crosses:

Most things you read on the internet on the Bokeh of a certain lens are not true, but based on subjective impressions from some images.

In my opinion, most modern lenses today are not optimized for Bokeh, but for sharpness and contrast. You can see this in the circle of confusion that always has this bright border (see above) in background. It is said that this is due to an over-correction of spherical abberation to improve sharpness.

What I would like to see is a lens that is showing a real Gaussian brightness distribution in the CoC of the background.

A lens optimized for Bokeh is e.g. the Minolta/Sony 135mm STF lens (--> Google).

Superb explanation - and I have to say - yes, modern lenses are not optimized for bokeh or no too much Smile

that's why we love MF lenses, don't we? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Meyer lenses and the old Takumars are what you are looking for, Blende8.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I noted is that lenses with an aspherical lens element show strange (Fresnel-like) circles in the CoC.
This can even be used to identify an aspherical lens element in a lens.

PS: If someone knows a lens that creates "Gaussian" CoC in the background, let us know and post an image as proof.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Good bokeh you can spread on toast, smooth and creamy, not that you
can't use Martin's bokeh, but that is more of a marmalade. Wink Laughing

More marmite than marmalade. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:

PS: If someone knows a lens that creates "Gaussian" CoC in the background, let us know and post an image as proof.

Well, this is the nearest I've got, not quite perfect but...

See an explanation and examples at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/radionar_uf.html, and further examples at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/radionar_sf.html, http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/radionar_et.html. The results aren't quite as good as those obtainable with the Sony/Minolta STF 135/2.8 costing in excess of 1000 euros, but I paid less than 6 euros for the 6x9 folder camera from which I extracted my lens so I'm quite content.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Of course, none of this means that people, myself included, won't sometimes just say “this lens has good/bad bokeh” as a rough generalisation… =)

I think I'll try to start saying "I like this bokeh" as opposed to "this is good bokeh". But if the lens manufacturers had characteristics in mind to strive for, then they indeed defined good bokeh. I liken it to beer. The experts can define the characteristics of a good or great beer, but some consumers might disagree. People develop their own preferences and then some people like all beer. I'll accept that there is good and bad bokeh from a technical perspective, but I will not be ashamed to admit I really like some bad bokeh. Isn't the Helios-40 an example of bad bokeh that many people covet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good bokeh" is entirely subjective.
It's like Marmite versus Bovril; real ale versus keg beer; Canon v. Nikon, etc.
I prefer smooth, creamy, blending bokeh, but others don't. I think they're utterly wrong-headed, but I can't force them to agree with me (not at least, until I'm World Dictator, and then we'll see) Smile .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax Asahi Tak 50 1.4 has really nice Bokeh.

Shot on the 5D MKII

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
See an explanation and examples at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/radionar_uf.html,

Wow! Very interesting!
Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
One other thing I noted is that lenses with an aspherical lens element show strange (Fresnel-like) circles in the CoC.
This can even be used to identify an aspherical lens element in a lens.

Those concentric rings are sometimes called "onion rings" and they are the result of the concentric grooves (machining marks) in the mold of molded aspherical elements.
Asph. elements can also be grinded but that is more difficult/expensive/time consuming. Such elements will probably not have the onion rings...

I think the shots of TBaker from the Takumar 50/1.4 show mixed bokeh. The far background is quite smooth, but in the lower part the bokeh get's ugly for me. Stopping down a bit will improve that edgy bokeh, but at the same time the overall blur will be less of course. The second shot shows some ugly double lines too, imo.

I find that perfectly smooth bokeh such as the Sigma 50/1.4 has, can be quite boring in some ways though. It's not always nice if so much visual information in the background gets annihilated.

Last edited by AhamB on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to have a "creamy" bokeh with no bouble lines in a 50mm lens that uses the double Gauss scheme, unless there is such an amount of spherical aberration that you get the creamy bokeh but the sharpness performance is somewhat compromised (example: Rokkor 58mm f/1.2).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, the `safe' bokeh I posted in my 3 samples was taken with an S-M-C 1.4/50 Tak.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8: I'd recommend non-retrofocal lenses and particularly designs, which have more lens elements than what is typical for the specific lens speed. I'll try to explain it on an example:

f/2.8 standard lenses are typically based on 3 (triplets) or 4 (tessars) elements. That is enough for good correction in focal plane, but OOF area isn't nice. Fast triplets are known to create rings and fast tessars create rings with a dot inside. 5 elements in 4 groups - Biometar f/2.8... it has much better bokeh, rings are softer, but still visible. 5/4 design is also used for Tomioka Macro-Yashinon 60/2.8. The 60/2.8 doesn't create rings, but OOF lights are affected by aperture blades, which partially extends to the optical way and always affects bokeh. More complex design (6/4) is the famous Zeiss Macro Planar 60/2.8. I have no experience with this lens, but I expect, that its circle of confusion could be pretty nice. And finally, one of the most complex f/2.8 50mm design is Volna-9 with 6 elements in 5 groups. Volnas OOF lights are really good, no ring-shaped borders:

(LED diode on my computer's case)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker

I find your pics with very nice bokeh, something magic about them.

Martin.

Your S-M-C is a real very good lens. No doubts. I find the lens a very good compromise between good resolution power, neutral contrast and nice bokeh.

In the takumars 1,4 line, perhaps the more subtles images and better bokeh, can be find oion the 8 elements version.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
blende8: I'd recommend non-retrofocal lenses and particularly designs, which have more lens elements than what is typical for the specific lens speed.

Interesting theory.
Obvious question: Why should this be so?

I would be fully convinced if I could see a comparison of your Volna with some conventional design of the same scene.

Never heard about this Volna.
(The only Russian lens I have is the Cyclop.)
Do you have a lens diagram?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
And finally, one of the most complex f/2.8 50mm design is Volna-9 with 6 elements in 5 groups. Volnas OOF lights are really good, no ring-shaped borders

The Volna-9 definitely has some of the "best" bokeh I've seen. If only it had a nice 10+ blade round aperture, it would be even great with OOF highlights at smaller apertures (instead of the funny stars it makes now, like the Takumar 50/4 macro).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
Interesting theory.
Obvious question: Why should this be so?

just empiric experience Smile but I think it does make sense, because the more elements you have, the more corrections (which doesn't negatively impact each other) can be used... also in a Sigma interview there was a mention, that a lens design, which doesn't bend rays drastically is always better (that in fact describes telecentric lens and telecentric retrofocal lenses have typically more elements and smoother bokeh, than non-telecetric ones)

blende8 wrote:
I would be fully convinced if I could see a comparison of your Volna with some conventional design of the same scene.

Never heard about this Volna.
(The only Russian lens I have is the Cyclop.)
Do you have a lens diagram?

Volna series share optical design similar to 6/5 ultron with thick front 2nd and 3rd elements. Exact diagram of Volna-9 isn't available, but it's similar to other Volna lenses and it's decribed here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/optical-diagrams-t14837,start,15.html#201215

I'll try to make a comparision with other 50mm lens, but I'm affraid I have no 50/2.8 tessar at the moment. Anyway, here are some pictures taken with Volna-9 at f/2.8:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, bad, or indifferent, I have certainly learnt a lot about the different aspects of bokeh from this thread. I thank you all very much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks no-X.

I have found the Volna-9 diagram here:
http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/kiev_volna9/00_pag.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Backuped Smile

Anyway, here's one more f/2.8 shot I forgot to post in my previous message. This one shows IF-OOF transitions:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking around for more Volna-9 photos and found the one below, by forum member "voe".
This image shows clearly that with this lens, the normal behaviour is reversed. The circles with bright border are in the foreground and not in the background, as it is usually the case.

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/voe/2792581328/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Here is another photo by voe, that shows very smooth background Bokeh:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/voe/2762788464/sizes/z/in/pool-576441@N25/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was made specifically in mind for a nice bokeh ...
Sony 135 STF ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn - PM sent.