Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna-3 & Nikon D700
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Volna-3 & Nikon D700 Reply with quote

A while ago I risked to buy a Volna-3 via Ebay Germany, which was supposed to habe been found in a trunk in the attic. It was less than 20€, so I didn't take a great chance, and what I received was a big parcel with the Volna in a case with the sun-shade, front lens-cap (unfortunately none to cover the behind) and all in all ten colour-filters for 62mm and 72 mm.
The Volna is like new, cost only half of what I had to pay for the adapter to Nikon and is for the time being my constant companion. I checked some German groups in the Internet and found that some people don't regard this lense very highly, being not really sharp.
According to the experiences I have made until now, I find it sharp enough for me and the colours extraordinary. I have to de-saturate sometimes.

Here are three from our central market, where I like to have a sausage and some cider (our 'national' drink in Frankfurt) on thursdays and saturdays. It was a rainy day, as you can see.

All pictures at ISO 400 @ f2.8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for sharpness, here are two portraits.

The first one is friend and collegue of mine.
ISO 400 @ f5.6 1/250s

The second is one of my former students from the Ukraine. She works as a waitress in a very old restaurant near our town-hall, where they serve the strongest beer I know, the famous 'Kulmbacher Eisbock' . It is dark and very tasty, and after two glasses, which go down very well, you have the impression that you have lost control over your legs (and the brain).

ISO 320 @ f4 1/500s
This one I had to de-saturate

The last one is a rainbow that showed yesterday evening.
ISO 400 @f 4 1/1000s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 in the 1st set reminds me of an expressionist painting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots. And I agree the V3 is a fantastic lens!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens seems to be spectacular -- !!!

I must have it!!

Very nice pictures!

tf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The bokeh in the first set is outreagous! The people look like cartoons in the background Surprised

The saturated colours remind me a bit of my Rikenon 50/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three more, all at @f 4

Evening:

Before the storm:

No.77 (just converted from RAW to JPEG):

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I never knew this is such a nice lens. I have seen samples here but never took notice of it. You did a great job at demonstrating its quality in real life use. Another lens to add to my list!

I like #3, the bokeh is like a painting. Superb job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Pentacon Six site, http://www.pentaconsix.com/StandardLenses.htm, between f5.6 and f11 the Volna is as sharp as the Biometar or Planar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
According to the Pentacon Six site, http://www.pentaconsix.com/StandardLenses.htm ,between f5.6 and f11 the Volna is as sharp as the Biometar or Planar.

Small edit to link.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fine to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really cool lens and great samples, #2 for me... very special character to the bokeh also ...

Cheers
Tobias