Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Bessa 1935
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander Bessa 1935 Reply with quote

Just arrived, and in pretty rough cosmetic condition - as bad as the auction pictures made it look. It does need a bit of attention, but seems to be useable enough. The winder handle is a bit loose, so I will attend to that first, in case of light leaks. Bellows seem A-OK, and might even be replacements at some time. If they are the original bellows, I'm impressed with how they've lasted. There's a tiny speck of what might be fungus on the lens, but not enough to affect picture taking in any way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey it has Skopar lens!! Must be good! Today I used first time same camera, mine have Voigtar lens. Film was crappy old B&W film so I not expect much, but curious really. I hope I able to publish on next week.

Nice camera I love it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to using it with some B&W film in it just to check it out. If it's any good I'll put some colour through it. Pity it doesn't have the 645 insert with it, but I might be able to make one up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine come with insert, but I think that is really don't need enjoy large negatives you can shoot also in vertical position. If you need exact parameters of insert I can help you with sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably only use it for the 6x9 anyway as it's easier to handle that way. I don't think the VF gives very accurate coverage of the smaller neg - it seems to be a bit of guesswork more than anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insert pretty correct , no problem to keep sizes, but who want to use with insert if we can enjoy large 6x9 ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I'll probably only use it for the 6x9 anyway as it's easier to handle that way. I don't think the VF gives very accurate coverage of the smaller neg - it seems to be a bit of guesswork more than anything.

I think that this lens at F/11 will be very pleasent. Good shots!!

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Rino. I'm waiting for some slow film to suit these old cameras. I've got plenty of 220 (no good) and ASA 400 (no good).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem with using 400ASA on old cameras? Is it just that the shutter speed only goes to 1/250 or is there something else? I'd have thought 1/250 @ f16 should work quite well in a lot of normal situations with 400ASA.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
What's the problem with using 400ASA on old cameras? Is it just that the shutter speed only goes to 1/250 or is there something else? I'd have thought 1/250 @ f16 should work quite well in a lot of normal situations with 400ASA.

I want to drop a couple of stops from that and land the typical daylight settings (for here) in the middle of the range at around 1/125 @ f8 or f11. 100ASA is readily available, and if I could find 64ASA I'd use that for a degree of authenticity. I can use Fuji Neopan 400CN at 100 - http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/film/films/blackwhite_neopan400cn.html
400ASA would find me at the edge of available settings much of the time and unable to do much if the sun came out properly. Also, at f16 or f22 I expect the lens to start exhibiting diffraction effects.
I've no doubt many of these old folders had fast films put through them, but they were optimised for the films of their day and a general rule of thumb for me is the mid-range is the likeliest area to find the most representative results.
I want to give them the best chance of producing some half-decent IQ - of course, this will mean making up some lens shades too, which many of them never had.