Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 vs. Apo Telezenitar 135/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 vs. Apo Telezenitar 135/2.8 Reply with quote

The 125mm F/2.5 Apo-Lanthar has now gained some kind of a cult status as one of the sharpest and most aberration free lens in its focal length.

On the other hand, the 135mm F/2.8 Apo Telezenitar is almost unknown to the general public and samples taken with this lens are rarely seen on the photographic forums. But I find the Telezenitar quite interesting as one of the cheapest apochromats in this focal length, and certainly much cheaper than the crazy prices the Apo-Lanthar is selling nowadays.

Of course, the Apo-Lanthar is a macro lens focusing down to 38 cm, offering the 1:1 ratio without any accessory, while the Apo Telezenitar only focuses down to 1.3 m (0.13 X magnification). But, as a general purpose telephoto, sharp, with nice colors, lots of contrast and a great bokeh, the Russian lens is worth considering, especially at around $250 US new. Of course, for this price you don't get a true 100% apochromatic lens and you might notice a bit of longitudinal chromatic aberrations and purple fringing when used wide open, but it is certainly much better than any zoom and even better than most of the primes, at least those without any special glass element.

Today, I did a few pictures to compare the Apo-Lanthar and the Apo Telezenitar. Nothing scientific, just some casual pictures to get an idea of the positioning of the Russian outsider relatively to the Japanese champion.

Here are the pictures, all taken wide open (F/2.5 for the Apo-Lanthar and F/2.8 for the Apo Telezenitar). I have deliberately chosen busy backgrounds to test the bokeh. Obviously, framing is not exactly the same between picture pairs, as the Voigtländer lens has a slightly shorter focal length, which I tried to compensate by moving a bit closer. Also, you may notice that focus is not exactly on the same plane from one picture to the next, as these were taken handheld, and a 125/135 mm lens has a very narrow depth of field when used wide open. Anyway, my purpose was not to compare the sharpness, which none of these lenses lack.

Apo Telezenitar (1.3 m min. focus):

Apo-Lanthar:

Apo Telezenitar (1.3 m min. focus):

Apo-Lanthar:

Apo Telezenitar (30 meters - chromatic aberrations torture test):

Apo-Lanthar (30 meters - chromatic aberrations torture test):

100% crop from previous picture (Apo Telezenitar) - of course the color fringes are there:

100% crop from previous picture (Apo-Lanthar) - even the Voigtländer lens is not perfect here:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting comparison!
In spite of the obvious CA, the Apozenitar looks like a very decent performer in the other photographic situations.
For sure in normal "everyday" shots the difference in price between the two lenses only shows marginally.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz, did you use the same WB for both lenses? The difference is quite striking between the shots of the crucifix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the bokeh of the Apo Lanthar in the torture test is amazing. Thanks for the test. But the Apo telezenitar is not easy to find... Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
In spite of the obvious CA, the Apozenitar looks like a very decent performer in the other photographic situations.
For sure in normal "everyday" shots the difference in price between the two lenses only shows marginally.

Thanks Orio for the kind words.

Yes, my point was that the Russian lens is a very decent performer for the price. Some widely celebrated lenses (like the Pentax FA* Limited 77mm lens, which has easily as much CA as the Apo Telezenitar) are not any better but sell for much more money...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Abbazz, did you use the same WB for both lenses? The difference is quite striking between the shots of the crucifix.

The white balance was on "Auto" so the difference might not entirely due to the lenses, but the Apo Telezenitar has a cooler rendering than the Apo-Lanthar anyway.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Orio wrote:

Thanks Orio for the kind words.

Yes, my point was that the Russian lens is a very decent performer for the price. Some widely celebrated lenses (like the Pentax FA* Limited 77mm lens, which has easily as much CA as the Apo Telezenitar) are not any better but sell for much more money...

Cheers!

Abbazz

Are you really comparing a 77mm f/1.8 lens with a 135mm f/2.8? I think you are not comparing apples with oranges, but apples with potatoes! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Wow the bokeh of the Apo Lanthar in the torture test is amazing. Thanks for the test. But the Apo telezenitar is not easy to find... Confused

Yes, there is no doubt about the outstanding ability of the Voigtländer lens...

Regarding the Telezenitar availability, it seems to be still in production (here's the page consacred to this lens on its constructor's website) and is sold new on a few online shops, like rugift.com or kremlinoptics.com, as well as on eBay.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite astonished how that "lens test" came out, comparing an Apo TELE-Zenitar and a MACRO Apo Lanthar; as Peter mentioned, apples and oranges.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Are you really comparing a 77mm f/1.8 lens with a 135mm f/2.8? I think you are not comparing apples with oranges, but apples with potatoes! Very Happy

Sorry if I have hurt your feelings regarding the FA* 77, I didn't mean to. I have this lens, which is very good on film, but less so on digital, because it exhibits quite a lot of longitudinal chromatic aberration and purple fringing. This is only my opinion and you are entitled to think differently.

Regarding the comparison, the Pentax lens, when used wide open, has an entrance pupil diameter of 77 / 1.8 = 43mm, while the Telezenitar's is 135 / 2.8 = 44 mm, which is very similar. The amount of blur of an out of focus image and therefore the amount of longitudinal chromatic aberration is proportional to the diameter of the entrance pupil. So, yes, these are two different lenses, but some of their specifications are quite comparable...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they are quite different lenses as a package, but at their respective focal lengths and being billed APO, why not compare within that scope?

Looks like for the price, the Zenitar does alright. Bokeh has a different character, good in it's own right if a little busier. IQ appears strong at web size. As pointed out, the WB seems warmer on the Lanthar shots.

Fwiw, I do these sort of unscientific tests for myself all the time to define hierarchy in lenses that share duties. Sometimes a coarse judgement is all that is required.

Anyway, I hadn't even heard of this lens before, so thx Abazz for the peek.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is few hi-res test shots with APO-Telezenitar. Unfortunately the "APO" designation is little exaggerated. Definitely not on pair with APO Lanthars (90 and 180) or Leica APO lenses (APO-Telyt 180 and Macro-Elmarit 100).
Still it's one of best russian lenses I have. In my eyes it compares well with my Elmarit-R 2.8/135, but Telezenitar has dull colors and contrast in bad light conditions in comparison to Elmarit.

Overall stopped down to f4 and in good light it's capable lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this comparison.

i was desperate for information on this lens a while ago (i even posted here earlier asking for info).

it seems that it does do pretty well in the apo-stakes, but not so well in the bokeh stakes.

do you have any opinion as to how it performs at f/4? if the longitudinal ca disappears and the bokeh smooths out, the apo-telezenitar might be a great buy.[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillbod wrote:
do you have any opinion as to how it performs at f/4? if the longitudinal ca disappears and the bokeh smooths out, the apo-telezenitar might be a great buy.[/url]

By F/4, longitudinal chromatic aberration and purple fringing are almost gone, but you'll have to go to F/5.6 to eliminate them completely in some worst case situations. Bokeh is quite OK, but of course it cannot compete with Apo-Lanthar's. Just have a look at BRunner's pictures, the portraits are gorgeous and sharpness as well as bokeh leave nothing to desire. The main issue with this lens is the sometimes strange colors casts (like on my picture of the crucifix) that are probably caused by the AR coatings.

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I did compare the Apo Telezenitar to the Apo-Lanthar, which is indeed a macro lens, you might want to know what is this lens worth when used in close focus photography. Here are some pictures taken with extension tubes (magnification ratio is around 1:2).

Wide open at F/2.8, depth of field is razor thin but bokeh is rather nice (a bit nervous at times but no brightlines in specular highlights):

And now two sets of two pictures. In each set, the first picture was taken at F/2.8 and the second one at F/5.6:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 vs. Apo Telezenitar 135/ Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Apo Telezenitar (30 meters - chromatic aberrations torture test):

Apo-Lanthar (30 meters - chromatic aberrations torture test):

Unless there's a lighting difference, our Russian friend appears to pollute the frame with the magenta cast of CA everywhere. If it is identical lighting, so much for the APO classification. Reminds me, albeit to a far lesser extent, of what my venerable Nikkor 180/2.8 ED does on digital sensors in similar lighting when shot wider than ~f4-5.6.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
aleksanderpolo wrote:

Regarding the Telezenitar availability, it seems to be still in production (here's the page consacred to this lens on its constructor's website) and is sold new on a few online shops, like rugift.com or kremlinoptics.com, as well as on eBay.

Cheers!

Abbazz

I just wanted to add that though the APO-Telezenitar is being advertised on these sites(rugift.com and kremlinoptics.com) that neither of these actually have them in stock, and that both claim to not be able to obtain them. No clue why they even bother to post the item in their sale listing, and when I asked about it, they never responded.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
Abbazz wrote:
aleksanderpolo wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

I just wanted to add that though the APO-Telezenitar is being advertised on these sites(rugift.com and kremlinoptics.com) that neither of these actually have them in stock, and that both claim to not be able to obtain them. No clue why they even bother to post the item in their sale listing, and when I asked about it, they never responded.

? Bait and Switch?
They draw you in hoping you'll buy what they do have in stock.

Caveat emptor.... Sad

But in all fairness, back when Leica R lenses were still made, they'd be 'out of stock' for many, many months at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: APO and non-APO Telezenitar 135mm Reply with quote

I still don't know the real difference between the two versions of the Telezenitar.
Are the optical designs substantially different?
Anybodys's got a clue?
If any other forum user had the chance to test any of the two lenses, what's your opinion?
Comparatively, how they perform compared with the best vintage lenses of the same FL?
Among all the 135mm's I own, I have a preference for the Leitz Canada 2.8/135mm (converted to PK mount) and the Tokina made Soligor C/D P 2/135mm (M42). One is sharp enough and has a great rendering, while the other is fast and has a great bokeh. Neither is super sharp, sooner or later I'd like to try the Samyang. I'm just waiting for a nice second-hand example in PKA mount, but it's taking forever Sad
Vintage 135mm lenses were in general quite good, and even very humble ones perform much better than I expected.
I extensively tried two 2.8/135mm, a "silver" Porst (Sun made) and a late plasticky Enna, shooting events and concerts, and surprisingly both were not so far from the best of the pack...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: APO and non-APO Telezenitar 135mm Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
I still don't know the real difference between the two versions of the Telezenitar.
Are the optical designs substantially different?
Anybodys's got a clue?
If any other forum user had the chance to test any of the two lenses, what's your opinion?
Comparatively, how they perform compared with the best vintage lenses of the same FL?
Among all the 135mm's I own, I have a preference for the Leitz Canada 2.8/135mm (converted to PK mount) and the Tokina made Soligor C/D P 2/135mm (M42). One is sharp enough and has a great rendering, while the other is fast and has a great bokeh. Neither is super sharp, sooner or later I'd like to try the Samyang. I'm just waiting for a nice second-hand example in PKA mount, but it's taking forever Sad
Vintage 135mm lenses were in general quite good, and even very humble ones perform much better than I expected.
I extensively tried two 2.8/135mm, a "silver" Porst (Sun made) and a late plasticky Enna, shooting events and concerts, and surprisingly both were not so far from the best of the pack...

Had you used the SEARCH function, you would have found my recent posting about the Apo Telezenitar 135mm:
http://forum.mflenses.com/kmz-apo-telezenitar-m-f2-8-135mm-t79365,highlight,%2Btelezenitar.html

It is a great lens, I have three of them, one is for sale here in the Sale section. Will certainly keep two!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To atone for not having properly searched the forum before posting, here is the link of a nice comparison with the Tair 11 and and Jupiter 37A
http://www.deep-life.ru/test-4/index.htm
It's in russian but Google Translate does a good job making the page easy to understand.
Regarding the MC APO Telezenitar-M I found very different impressions/comments online.
Pictures speak by themselves, isn't it?
The jpg's linked in that page show with good evidence that the Apo Tlezenitar obliterates the Jupiter, and beats the Tair.
Both are respected lenses, and the Tair sells for good money nowadays.

Btw, I just found one.
Not a major stroke of luck, but a good deal indeed.
Its a new old stock, made in 1993, with original caps.
The iris is blocked fully closed for lack of use. I guess it's because of congealed grease thas has migrated to the pivots/blades.
The blades are all there and look fine, so it should be quite easy to clean.
Any advice about cleaning strategy?
I'd like to try to clean from one side first, is it easier to access from the front or the back?

All in all, if the lens performs as it should, I guess it should be considered a nice find.
I paid half the price of a Tair 11 in dubious conditions. I will play with it with no overspending remorse Smile

cheers
Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
To atone for not having properly searched the forum before posting, here is the link of a nice comparison with the Tair 11 and and Jupiter 37A
http://www.deep-life.ru/test-4/index.htm
It's in russian but Google Translate does a good job making the page easy to understand.
Regarding the MC APO Telezenitar-M I found very different impressions/comments online.
Pictures speak by themselves, isn't it?
The jpg's linked in that page show with good evidence that the Apo Tlezenitar obliterates the Jupiter, and beats the Tair.
Both are respected lenses, and the Tair sells for good money nowadays.

Btw, I just found one.
Not a major stroke of luck, but a good deal indeed.
Its a new old stock, made in 1993, with original caps.
The iris is blocked fully closed for lack of use. I guess its because of congealed grease thas has migrated to the pivots/blades.
The blades are all there and look fine, so it should be quite easy to clean.
Any advice about cleaning strategy. I'd like to try to clean from one side first, is it easier to access from the front or the back?

All in all, if the lens performs as it should, I guess it should be considered a nice find. I paid half the price of a Tair 11 in dubious conditions.

cheers
Paolo

Oh YOU bought it!! Hope for you to get it fixed, as it a great lens indeed!!
Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Oh YOU bought it!! Hope for you to get it fixed, as it a great lens indeed!!
Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Yes, I did Smile
It's already on its way to Thailand.
Here I don't have all the tools I have at home, but I hope to be able to tackle the problem by myself.
If not, I have a friend in Italy who's an excellent repairman of mechanical cameras and lenses. In case, he will take care of this new critter.
Regarding the quality, I believe you. The pictures I found online, although low res, show a very good level of sharpness.
Some people complain about flare. Probably the coating has been improved during the life of the lens, and very likely also the type of glass.
I have seen a version that has an A/M switch, that is not present in the 1993 version I bought.
There were versions of the Telezenitars that were never produced at an industrial level, but sometimes can be found from russian sellers.
I have seen the PK version of this same lens (ugly), the PK version of the Telezenitar 4.5/300mm (maybe uglier), and a 2.8/300mm (different name) in Nikon mount.
I have also seen a very early example of the Tair 180mm with the serial starting with three zeros.
A couple of them are still on sale, I guess.
I wonder why some recent models/prototypes are so ugly looking, while the old barrel styles (plated brass) were so beautiful to my eyes Smile