Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VNEX "Showroom" for enlarger and other lens pictur
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: VNEX "Showroom" for enlarger and other lens pictur Reply with quote

This Thread is for showing pictures taken with different enlarger lenses and old camera lenses on the VNEX System..
(because of a server crash on mflenses forum lots of images are lost, but i will recover my pictures as soon as possible in small portions. Would be nice, if the other users can do this in the same way)

The VNEX - System is a focussing System for using this sort of lenses on any SONY NEX cam..
With that system you can use enlarger lenses like normal all purpose lenses from infinity to macro reproduction scale of 1:3 and with an extension tube and a retro ring up to 1:1.25.. close distance is about 20 cm from frontglass.

Also this is a great fun system for experimentel reasons.. you can connect all kind of lenses, if they are small enough to use it on our adapterplates..

If you want to know more details, prices etc.. of the VNEX System, please follow this link.

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vnex-system-t54300.html

In this thread people will show the results with different lenses and the way, they connect the lenses to VNEX..

First let me start with the famous Rodenstock APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm. This is a 6-lens construction with excellent IQ and very good correction..

This is the APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm Version.. for people who are looking for that lens..

Often you can find this superb lens at prices near 100-150 Euro.. the IQ is near a Leica Summicron Lens IMHO. You can simply connect the lens with a 12mm connection which is part of the VNEX Base System

The lens has a filter thread of 40,5mm so to use it in retro position with the VNEX macro extension and the optional VNX retro ring for the filter diameter is possible and easy to use..

Cheers
Henry Very Happy

Last edited by hinnerker on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:32 am; edited 11 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been telling people for years that enlarging lenses, being of a flat field nature, are some of the best "macro" lenses around. With your new adapter system, maybe more people will finally wake up to this fact. It would be nice to see the many hundreds of fine enlarging lenses, currently sitting about collecting dust after the closure of darkrooms, being put to good use again.

My congratulations and hats off to you sire in these efforts!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: some more pictures with Apo-Rodagon 1,8/50 Reply with quote

... some more pictures wisht Apo-Rodagon and VNEX (Sony Nex5).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Schneider Kreuznach W.A. Componon 4/40mm Reply with quote

Here again:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to reiterate that most enlarging lenses dont have many aperture blades. As you can see in these photos, the bokeh is
shaped like a pentagon rather than circular which is quite distracting. People should look for as many blades as possible when shopping for an enlarging lens to use as a taking lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
I just want to reiterate that most enlarging lenses dont have many aperture blades. As you can see in these photos, the bokeh is
shaped like a pentagon rather than circular which is quite distracting. People should look for as many blades as possible when shopping for an enlarging lens to use as a taking lens.

This is mainly true for newer models. Older ones do have circular apertures and some lenses in older compact cams do as well. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

Not the most.. but some of the newer Rodenstock and Schneider - Kreuznach do have 5 aperture blades.. dont like the highlights, so with them i shoot mostly without using the aperture.

But Nikons, Durst labeled SK lenses, and lot of other newer models do have 8 blades.. mostly i did see the ugly 4 or 5 aperture blades in newer Rodenstock and SK lenses..

Older lenses of SK do have many aperture blades.. like the componons.. 12 or somtimes 15 blades..

But thanks for the hint.. i have to make an own column in my excel-sheet for the number of aperture blades, a lens do have.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting topic.
Thank you Henry. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Very interesting topic.
Thank you Henry. Very Happy

Hi Olivier,

nice to meet you after this long period i wasnt on MFlenses.. Very Happy

Ok, let me show more experimental stuff, taken with old and fixed rangefinder - lenses..

Maybe the threadtitel is a bit wrong and to short for the experimental pictures you can also make with other lens gear on the VNEX System or parts of it, but nevertheless.. i will show, what you also can do with other lenses on that system..

This is a lens, taken from a defective Canon DEMI Halfframe cam from a repairshop in germany who was not able to repair the cam for Years..

This is the cam itself..

So i decided, to take the lens to the Sony NEX 7 to have a small and compact lens with high candle power of f1.7..
The way the lens looks now on NEX 7..

(short remark... now this lens will work on VNEX KB "short"... a part of the VNEX-Project described here..
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vnex-enlarger-lens-project-v2-0-t67487.html

And because this is a showroom for lenses converted via VNEX parts, i will show some pictures taken with this lens..

A bit of "swirly bokeh"... Very Happy

The lens has some vignettings on the edges in special situations.. because its for "Halfframe-Format".. but is one of my favourites on NEX 7.. especially for B&W work i love that "retro look & feel" of the lens vignetting..

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results, from painting photography to very detailed picture such as the last one.
Bokeh is nice either.
Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, this VNEX-system. I happen to be a DIY-solution builder myself. Rangefinder camera's provide magnificent lenses. I've used a Yashica, an Agfa Optima Karat, an Olympus Pen (all half frame) and of course an entire range of Schneider Componon lenses (one of them meant for half frame) with very good results. If only I could afford the elegant solution the VNEX offers Wink Lately I found the Zeiss lenses for the Rolleiflex SL26, and though it's been hard to find a working solution for fixing them on the Nex, the results are promising so far. I don't think butchering an old camera is a sin, particularly not when the camera is a quite common one or no longer usable (126 or Rapid film packs!).
I don't understand the vignetting on this Canon lens; half frame must be close enough to APS-C, I'd think. I haven't had any vignetting issues using half frame lenses so far. Is it a Canon problem, having to do with the speed of this particular lens?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry tibi wrote:

hering an old camera is a sin, particularly not when the camera is a quite common one or no longer usable (126 or Rapid film packs!).
I don't understand the vignetting on this Canon lens; half frame must be close enough to APS-C, I'd think. I haven't had any vignetting issues using half frame lenses so far. Is it a Canon problem, having to do with the speed of this particular lens?

No, i dont think it has to do with the speed of the lens.. i believe, the rear glas of the lens is extremly near to the sensor and together with the WW lenght of the lens, so the "off- axis" rays are more the problem.. but anyway.. i love the results..

Its not so often, that this vignetting effect is in the pictures.. so i can live with that.

Better then the heavy vignetting with c-mount lenses.. Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Impressive results, from painting photography to very detailed picture such as the last one.
Bokeh is nice either.
Smile

+1 I love them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Schneider-Kreuznach Componon 4/28mm, brought to Sony NEX and the Sony A7 with the VNEX KB "short" system.
(Update of this article cause of servercrash and lost of images... so the updated time stamp for this images = 08-11-2014)

Here are some pictures.. nothing special .. for showing the lens on a Sony NEX 7...

As you can see, the NEX 7 do have massive problems with the magenta edges.. we all know that NEX 7 problem i hope..
After updating the cam firmware to V 1.01, there are less problems with the magenta edges..

and here is a 100 % crop out of the images.. try to find the antenna in the image above..
Very Happy

This was only to show, that the lens reaches infinity on this way..

Here are some "normal" pictures, taken with the lens..

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...

I like the beach one very very much !
and the last one shows a lot about dof abilities.

About the beach I wonder wether it would be extremely great in panorama view with some sky cropping. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WOW...

I like the beach one very very much !
and the last one shows a lot about dof abilities.

About the beach I wonder wether it would be extremely great in panorama view with some sky cropping. Smile

I think you are right.. but this was a quickn dirty shoot after a long day in the sun.. Very Happy

Here is another image taken with the Schneider - Kreuznach Componon 4/28 brought to the NEX 7 with parts of the VNEX on a simple M39 adaptor..
(today the lens works on the newly VNEX KB short !)

"Sunrise" on our estate..

Last edited by hinnerker on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:34 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one with the "signature" of Canon SH 1.7/30mm

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the experimental-stage of the VNEX..

Agfa Apotar lens 3.5/45mm from an Agfa Silette..

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Apotar 2.8/45mm on VNEX Reply with quote

And this is the faster Apotar.. 2.8/45mm taken from an defective Agfa Silette.. brought to the Sony NEX.. via VNEX System

All close-up Pictures taken at open aperture..

Regards
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm on Sony NEX via VNEX Focus-System Reply with quote

Here are some other samples with the APO Rodagon N 2.8/50mm.. a friend of mine did take most of the pictures and gives me the permission to show them here on MFlenses.. (thanks Thomas!)

Regards
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of three enlarger lenses..

Meopta Belar 4.5/50mm, Minolta E-Rokkor 4.5/50mm and a rare A.Schacht Ulm Travegar 3.5/75mm

This is the Minolta E-Rokkor 4.5/50mm lens.. some close-up's

And samples from the A.Schacht Ulm Travegar lens..

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apotar and the Minolta Rokkor are great !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Olivier,

yes, i double this opinion..

Next i show an old Schneider - Kreuznach Componar 4/50.. on VNEX and Sony NEX 5N.. !

And some samples another user did with that lens..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets go on with a Steinheil Cassarit 2.8/45mm on VNEX / Sony NEX

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: not yet on VNEX... Reply with quote

Not yet on VNEX (trying to same some money) but a great lens to add to the system: the Agfa Color Solinar 2.8/30 from the Agfa Optima Parat, a half frame camera from 1960. I got one with a broken film transport.
No PP, although they could a bit Smile