Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter Reply with quote

I picked this up attached to a Nikon FE and was pretty surprised. Much sharper than my TC-200, at least on these Series E lenses. The tree was taken with the 50mm, the coin with the 28mm (at about 2 inches from the front element). And the focusing feature is very handy.

I'm having trouble uploading images here, so please excuse the flickr links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaeger2/5880387573/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaeger2/5880387567/in/photostream/lightbox/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Second that... Reply with quote

I second the quality and usefulness of the Vivitar MC 2X Macro TC.
My usual combo consists of a Pantax SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 + Vivitar 2X Macro TC which has proven to be exceptionally sharp.

Here are a few snaps taken with this combo a few days ago that were out of sorts. However, given the TC's versatility, I was able to use the combo in an a rather unconventional setting(portrait type).

20% CROP:

20% CROP:

100% CROP:

100% CROP:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots Smile Have to put this one on my list now Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaeger, I think you'll enjoy it. Heh. Looks like you already are. Smile

Outstanding, JohnBee. I've been a big fan of the Vivitar 2x macro TC for many years. I bought my first one new back in the mid-1980s. Cost me like $80 mail-order. So these weren't cheapo TCs.

I have two -- one in Canon FD and one in Nikon mount. I've done quite a bit of testing with mine to see if they degrade the image at all because a lot of people claim that TCs do. And my tests indicate that they don't, and in some images did actually record additional information at the higher magnification. I think your images are a great testament to the fact that the Viv macro TC does not degrade images.

Of course, any TC is only as good as the lens it's coupled to. That Pentax 50/1.7 seems to be a razor sharp optic. Rather typical for Pentax, from what I've found.

BTW, what camera were you using?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one too, and found I loved macro so much, I ended up getting a bunch of dedicated macro lenses. Now I don't use the teleconverter anymore, but I will say that the IQ from the V2XMTC did not disappoint, espcially when paired with a good prime like the Pentax 50/1.7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Now I get your handle, MacTak!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice JohnBee! I hope this weekend to get out with mine and see what it can do. I'll try with a Micro-Nikkor!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
VERY nice JohnBee! I hope this weekend to get out with mine and see what it can do. I'll try with a Micro-Nikkor!

Thanks!

I haven't had much time to experiment with the combo, though I have nothing but good to say about the TC. In fact, I had a 50mm macro that wasn't as good, though it seemed to have a smoother bokeh. Then again... I can't say I hate the hexagon style OOF rendering this lens creates either. Either way, there's always the option of mating different lenses onto the TC. Which makes this a very versatile macro option I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to put it to use. These were taken at about the worst time of day -- around noon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pics gaeger!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very excellent!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great results, I've been looking at this macroTC for a while now....it's time to get it Wink
It should be great on 50/1.4 making it 100/2.8 and I hope a decent macro Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
great results, I've been looking at this macroTC for a while now....it's time to get it Wink

Seem to be plenty Minolta etc around, but M42 rarer than hen's teeth!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, got it in mint condition Wink

http://sogus2.de/fotos/28ss_Juni/DSC_2912.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
heh, got it in mint condition Wink

http://sogus2.de/fotos/28ss_Juni/DSC_2912.JPG

Congratulations!
Looks mint.

BTW, I don't know what mount yours is for, but the PK versions come in either K or PK/A (with contacts) which really helps. I started with the manual version but grabbed an A version shortly thereafter because it was far more convenient.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Nikon version, can't wait to test it Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all in this thread.

I have recently bought one in Contax/Yashica mount.

tf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the teleextender with a Nikkor 20mm f3.5. I also tried with a Nikkor 105mm K version, but the results weren't great.

UPDATE: I went out to Lake Union on a perfect evening and got these shots with a Nikkor 80-200mm f4 AIS and the Vivitar. The problem with this combo is that it's so long that there's significant flex in the system, introducing focusing oddities! Also, it seems like over 100mm with this Vivitar, CA problems mount and sharpness suffers.

Last edited by gaeger on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great composition! Love the moon low down in shot Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Here's the teleextender with a Nikkor 20mm f3.5. I also tried with a Nikkor 105mm K version, but the results weren't great.

Superb!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:

I've read that a 2X TC like this might act optically as a secondary stop making the widest possible aperture f/1.8. If that's so, the 50/1.4 lens might behave like a 100/3.6 at aperture settings of f/1.4 to f/1.8.

See if your light meter confirms this when you use the lens+TC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try as soon as I get it... will do some tests with my nikkor lenses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiller500 wrote:

I've read that a 2X TC like this might act optically as a secondary stop making the widest possible aperture f/1.8. If that's so, the 50/1.4 lens might behave like a 100/3.6 at aperture settings of f/1.4 to f/1.8.

See if your light meter confirms this when you use the lens+TC.

I've seen no evidence for this with either of my Vivitar 2x macros. When I move my aperture ring, even slightly, the meter responds. Since wide-open aperture metering is done by communicating via linkages with the film camera, it could be this rumor began because of some slop in somebody's camera linkage. And if we're talking about stop-down metering, the way we have to with mounting an mf lens to a DSLR, then provided there's a solid connection between the lens's aperture linkage and the TC, any reduction in light caused by aperture movement should be picked up by the meter. If it isn't, the meter's to blame, not the TC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooltouch, which lens(es) did you use to determine this?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, a variety. Last time I used my Nikon mount Vivitar 2x was a couple days ago. I've gotten into the habit of looking down into a lens after mounting it to my camera to make sure the aperture blades are fully retracted when the aperture ring is wide open, and that they move appropriately when I turn the aperture ring.

In fact, it was after I posted the above message that I used my TC with some lens testing I did that day. So I was looking specifically for any sort of slop in the mechanism or connection between the TC and lens that might account for your claim. I couldn't find any.

For the lens tests I was trying out my new-to-me Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 against my Tokina 100-300 f/4. I took shots with each lens from wide open to f/16, first without the Vivitar macro TC and then with.

Just now, I went ahead and checked the EXIF data to confirm my own suspicions, and hopefully yours as well. Since your claim has to do with a lens being wide open, lets look at the values I got when my lenses were set wide open.

With my Tamron, wide open and without the TC, the shutter speed was 1/1000 and with the TC it was 1/320. It should have been at 1/250 for a two-stop loss in speed. But instead the meter decided to let in even less light. Perhaps the sun was brighter then, I dunno, but at any rate, for your claim to be valid, the shutter speed would have to have been less than 1/250.

A cloud must indeed have moved out of the vicinity because with the Tokina, which I used after the Tamron, without the TC, the shutter speed was 1/1250. And with the TC mounted it was 1/320. Now 1/320 is almost exactly two stops less than 1/1250. So once again, the TC seemed to have a solid connection with the Tokina resulting in no additional loss of light.

Please understand that such heresay as "I've read that a 2X TC like this might act optically as a secondary stop" with usages of "I've read that" and "like this" and "might" is just setting itself up for a challenge. No offense intended, but being from somewhat of a scientific background, I like to see hard evidence as opposed to rumor. Now, I know I'm guilty of doing similarly, but hopefully I've inserted the proper caveats to go along with my multitude of "I've read that" claims. Cool If not, well shame on me.

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total