Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned a Panagor Macro focussing converter.

I just found one I didn't know I had, came as part of a job lot of lenses.

It is labelled 'Panagor Auto Macro Converter' and inlike the Vivitar turning the focus moves the internal optical group back and forth.

It is in Konica bayonet mount so I can't use it on my EOS I think.

I have a Hexanon 3.5/135 and it fits the converter, but I suspect it needs to be used with a 50mm lens.

So I'm wondering, is it worth me getting a 50mm Hexanon to use with this converter and then modifying it to Canon EF to use on my EOS?

Or would it be better to sell it on to a Konica user?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't too impressed with my Panagor Auto Macro Converter. It takes a lot of light and only with a 50mm did I have reasonable results. That was a long time ago though, search this forum for more positive comments.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on ebay there are several listed in the 30-40ukp range, this one is almost mint so I think it would be better to pass it onto a Hexanon user than chop it up to modify it.

Anyone want an excellent condition Panagor Auto Macro Converter in Konica mount? Going cheap to the right home!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the TC tips.

dickb wrote:
... If it is, my suggestion is to sell the SR mount lens to someone shooting a NEX.

It came up in my mind too at first place, but I want to try this lens so bad Smile
But, yeah, I think it's better to sell this lens and wait for the M42/Nikon mount.

By the way, just for curiosity, what is the optical & functional difference between Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter MC and Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro Adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

By the way, just for curiosity, what is the optical & functional difference between Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter MC and Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro Adapter?

These are completely different animals. The Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter MC is a 7 element (if I remember correctly) 2x teleconverter with a built-in focussing helicoid for additional macro capability, designed to be used on a wide range of lenses for infinity focus and close-up. The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro Adapter is a 3 element (if the diagram on the Tokina AT-X box is to be trusted) macro adapter, designed for use with the Vivitar Series 1 90mm specifically, and shifting the range of focus of this lens from infinity-1:2 to 1:2-1:1. It has no moving parts, no helicoid. Its teleconversion is less than 2x.

So for use with the 90/2.5 the macro adapter/extender should result in the best IQ in the 1:2 to 1:1 range (I'm too lazy to test this right now). The Macro Focusing Teleconverter will give you a wide focussing range (infinity to 1:1 for the 90/2.5) on a lot of lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks a lot for the complete explanation. Very useful guideline.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few more sessions with the Vivitar macro, I'd say it's pretty darn good. It seems well matched with lenses 105mm and below. Not so impressed with those above that, but I'll need some more tests. The first image is with a 28mm Series E. The next two are with a 100mm Series E.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaeger, I'd say your examples came out excellent. I find that I seldom use my Vivitar 2x macro for macro work -- more's the pity because it really does work well for this -- but typically I'm using mine with telephoto lenses to achieve even more reach. I've conducted extensive tests with my Vivitar 2x and my various telephotos and I've determined to my satisfaction that it does not deteriorate the images at all, and in some cases it clearly shows that the Vivitar 2x macro TC added to the resolution I was able to capture with my telephotos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After four pages of threads on the Vivitar I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the Teleplus which is also a 7 element macro focusing doubler looking virtually identical to the Vivitar branded version. It seems the Teleplus arrived in camera stores soon after the Vivitar disappeared from them. I'm fairly certain they came from the same manufacturer and I suspect that that was Tokina-Kenko.

I had both versions in Pentax K mount, so a shoot out ensued and I decided the Teleplus had the edge so off to eBay went the Vivitar.

I later picked up a 2x KAX macro Teleplus MC7 which is the KA version, while the manual aperture has 2x APK Macro TELEPLUS MC7 printed upon it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Minolta mount Series 1 90mm and have converted the matched 1/1 adapter to Sony mount. It was very easy as the mount is quite thick. I took material off and then attached an M42 - Sony-A adapter. But I still can't use the lens for dstance because it still has the Minolta mount and I don't have a NEX yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironfan wrote:
After four pages of threads on the Vivitar I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the Teleplus which is also a 7 element macro focusing doubler looking virtually identical to the Vivitar branded version. It seems the Teleplus arrived in camera stores soon after the Vivitar disappeared from them. I'm fairly certain they came from the same manufacturer and I suspect that that was Tokina-Kenko.

I had both versions in Pentax K mount, so a shoot out ensued and I decided the Teleplus had the edge so off to eBay went the Vivitar.

Very interesting! I've never heard of the macro-focusing Teleplus, but I have heard of Teleplus TCs -- didn't know anything about them, though.

Okay, now I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for TP TCs I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is interested I'm selling my recently bought Vivitar macro focusing 2x teleconverter in NEW condition (nikon mount) Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Someone mentioned a Panagor Macro focussing converter.

I just found one I didn't know I had, came as part of a job lot of lenses.

It is labelled 'Panagor Auto Macro Converter' and inlike the Vivitar turning the focus moves the internal optical group back and forth.

It is in Konica bayonet mount so I can't use it on my EOS I think.

I have a Hexanon 3.5/135 and it fits the converter, but I suspect it needs to be used with a 50mm lens.

So I'm wondering, is it worth me getting a 50mm Hexanon to use with this converter and then modifying it to Canon EF to use on my EOS?

Or would it be better to sell it on to a Konica user?

The panagor macro converter is a special converter optimized for macro work
When used with an good 50mm (canon , nikon , olympus , pentax...) the final result is equal or better than a dedicated 50mm macro
I remember a test on french "Phot-Argus" where Nikon 50mm + panagor macro converter result was equal or better than nikon micro-nikkor 55mm 3.5 which was the best macro lens in that period

The final quality is really fantastic

+ 2x other advantage
Maximal reproduction ratio is 1:1 when 50mm lens set at infinity (most macro lenses are 1:2 only)
When 50mm lens NOT set at infinity = Reproduction ratio is over 1:1

lf interested : i sell my om panagor macro converter in "as new" condition (100% mint) + 1.8 om 50mm if you wish (Om accessories/lenses can be easely used on eos)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past week I have purchased two of the Vivitar, one in Minolta MD and one in Canon FD. I received the Canon version yesterday. I have removed all the insides except the two helicoid guides and have male and female M42 adapters for it. Off to see an IndyCar Race this weekend. Tuesday I should be done with the work and giving it a test with my El Nikkor 135mm enlarger lens.

I paid $5US for each and S&H of $7.50US and $7.00US. A lot cheaper than the almost $100US + delivery for a new 14mm range helicoid from e*ay. The M42 adapters are simply cheap M42 macro tubes. The Vivitar has a range of ~20mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and purchased a Hexanon AR 1.8/50 to use with my Panagor converter.

Instead of buying some Vivitar focussing TCs to use as helicoids I've stripped the optics from some broken lenses to remount my enlarger lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of The Vivitar Macro Focusing Tele converters on the way. Looking foward to giving it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of days ago i was looking on ebay for some teleconverter for my Nikon D7000, and i hit on this item.The Vivitar 2x Macro teleconverter.I tried to get some info on the net, but i was unable to do so, and actually this is the best source of information i found around, so i decided to register and post on this thread.

So, i want to ask, if this item has more than one versions ( i think it is ) and what are the differences among them.

As far as i red this teleconv is also a fair choise for non macro work, and the samples posted above are fairly sharp i believe.

Also, if i use this teleconverter, on my D7000 (which is a DX Nikon camera) and the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro (1:1) , is there a way to estimate the magnification gained?

I see NikonD was selling one, if it is still available please let me know about the price etc.

Thanks in advance,

Theo Kondak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club!

This TC was manufactured in many different mounts, including mount variations (e.g. Pentax K and Pentax K/A with contacts). It was also sold under the "Teleplus" brand: I have two of these in Olympus OM mount, one labeled Vivitar, another Teleplus MC7 (hence we know it's a 7-element TC); they are identical in everything except the markings. In Nikon, I've only seen a single version so far, labeled N/AI (which means Nikon Ai). One thing to be vary of: on some of these units the Ai lug gets sticky and won't work for aperture info transmission. You'd have to disassemble the unit, flush old grease and re-lube it. I did it to mine, works like a charm now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and for the quick reply.So according to your knowledge, for Nikon there is only one version of this kind of TC right?I know that the old times mostly an item could be in trade under various labels, and vivitar was one of the brands that used to do that.

So as far as i know the Nikon version is 7elements one (a guy was saying about it clearly on ebay). Does that mean that it delivers a higher image quality?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the teleconverter, but i face a really mean problem :S the Teleconverter, has no contacts at all, so the camera body will not recognize the aperture of the lens, so it will shoot on minimum aperture which is way too dark usually.Is there a way to "hack" this issue?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThKondak: This speaks to the very nature of using manual focus lenses adapted to our digital cameras. What camera are you using?

I use a Sony A200 and can only speak from knowledge of how that camera works best, but most other cameras are likely similar if not identical in operation. I can only use aperture mode auto-exposure with a chipped adapter, so I won't address that here. I shoot mainly in manual exposure mode, and in doing so the camera meters what it sees as you stop down the lens. I suggest setting the exposure for the picture first at the desired aperture, then open up again to focus, then stop back down and click. If by chance you are able to use aperture mode auto exposure, ensure that the camera aperture is set at the widest opening, i.e. f/1.4, and leave it there. Do not set the camera aperture to make it equal to the desired lens setting as that will create an over exposure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My camera is Nikon D7000.The problem is that the camera, wont use the Aperture mechanism so it put diaphragm to lets say f11.I just did a small research, and found out, that N/AI means not AI which means that there are no electrical contacts at all on the TV which means that the camera has no info to see which is the current diaphragm value.

I can't really understand what you propose me to do, but i think that the chipped adapter is what i need in order to make it work somehow.Is that right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThKondak wrote:
My camera is Nikon D7000.The problem is that the camera, wont use the Aperture mechanism so it put diaphragm to lets say f11.I just did a small research, and found out, that N/AI means not AI which means that there are no electrical contacts at all on the TV which means that the camera has no info to see which is the current diaphragm value.

I can't really understand what you propose me to do, but i think that the chipped adapter is what i need in order to make it work somehow.Is that right?

With D7000, you can setup "non-CPU lens" with the max aperture, and this is just for EXIF.
The most important thing is that when you turn the aperture ring, if the actual aperture blades open/close, then you're good.
I remember that my Vivitar 2x macro TC in Nikon mount also shows N/AI, but is AI compatible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThKondak wrote:
I just did a small research, and found out, that N/AI means not AI which means that there are no electrical contacts at all on the TV which means that the camera has no info to see which is the current diaphragm value.

N/AI on the teleconverter just means Nikon AI mount. Other versions of this converter are labelled O/OM for Olympus OM, M/MD for Minolta MD, C/FD for Canon FD and P/K for Pentax K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ad from Nov/1982 Camera Arts magazine (excuse me for a sloppy scan)