Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive pictures !
Congrats to both of you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

received it today and here are some photos:

http://forum.mflenses.com/impressions-nikkor-50-1-4-and-vivitar-mf-2xtc-t41067.html

got it for 55€ inc. shipping....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
received it today and here are some photos:

http://forum.mflenses.com/impressions-nikkor-50-1-4-and-vivitar-mf-2xtc-t41067.html

got it for 55€ inc. shipping....

Looks great!
So now that you've taken it for a trest-drive, what's your opinion of it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's excellent for 50mm lenses only but I have to give a try with other lenses one more time, just to be 100%.... 100% recommended Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it with one or more telephotos. I think you'll like it with them too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Try it with one or more telephotos. I think you'll like it with them too.

Dude right on

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
it's excellent for 50mm lenses only but I have to give a try with other lenses one more time, just to be 100%.... 100% recommended Wink

Well you guys are wasting your money if you don't get this special converter cheap as the ordinary Vivitar MC 2Xs is very good on a 50mm lens.

Fuji 100mm, OOD jessops film supermarket dev&scan

Same film..Fuji50mm + Vivitar 2Xs ext, seems to show more grain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, need some advices please ..

I just got Vivitar 90/2.5 VMC Macro. Unfortunately the mount is Minolta (I think; it has "M/SR" word in the mount).
The lens is in very good condition that I don't have a heart to modify it to EOS mount.
So I came up with an idea to buy the macro teleconverter and modify it to EOS mount.

I search on eBay and there are many items for Minolta mount such as 2x Tele, MC teleconverter, 2x macro focusing, etc.

Is this the right one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-MD-teleconverter-2x-Vivitar-Macro-focusing-1-1-/230639427813?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35b32e60e5

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Hi All, need some advices please ..

I just got Vivitar 90/2.5 VMC Macro. Unfortunately the mount is Minolta (I think; it has "M/SR" word in the mount).
The lens is in very good condition that I don't have a heart to modify it to EOS mount.
So I came up with an idea to buy the macro teleconverter and modify it to EOS mount.

I search on eBay and there are many items for Minolta mount such as 2x Tele, MC teleconverter, 2x macro focusing, etc.

Is this the right one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-MD-teleconverter-2x-Vivitar-Macro-focusing-1-1-/230639427813?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35b32e60e5

Thanks in advance.

That sounds like a good idea. Since M42 tele-converters seem to be rarer than rocking-horse sh*t I was thinking of getting a Pentax K-mount version and modifying that to M42. Register distances are exactly the same, so should be an easy mod?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 TC's rare? no way, I have three or four of them and there are usually loads on ebay.

If you want an M42 TC Martin, you can have one of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Is this the right one?

That is the one!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
M42 TC's rare? no way, I have three or four of them and there are usually loads on ebay.

If you want an M42 TC Martin, you can have one of mine.

Sorry Ian, I wasn't specific enough. Vivitar Macro Focusing 2x tele-converters in M42 seem to be rare. If you know of one, please let me know Smile

I have plenty of normal TC's in M42, but they are mostly pants anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now I see what you mean, sorry!

Not tried most of my TC's, I must have 8 or 9 in various fittings lying around, I did try a Praktica one on my Tair-3C and it seemed okay, but made the VF very dark and made it very hard to focus so best to use at infinity.

This focussing TC looks interesting to use as a helicoid after removing the glass.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

This focussing TC looks interesting to use as a helicoid after removing the glass.

Yep. Trifox and Calvin have a project in the works using glassless Vivitar macro TCs as helicals. I don't know the specifics of it, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 2x MACRO teleconverter with Contax/Yashica mount.

After watching this thread, I spotted one on UK's ebay in almost mint condition and pulled the trigger Smile

I am happy because the C/Y version is quite rare and the condition is superb.

Contax Distagon 1.4/35 + Vivitar 2x TC MACRO on EOS 5DMkII

PP - LIghtRoom, Photoshop

and yes ! - wide open at f/1.4

http://www.cameraserviceone.com/galleries/000-vivitar2xMC/_MG_0698copy.jpg

tf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Stan.

I want a few of these now, one to use with a 50mm double gauss lens (of which I have many) and the rest to use as helicals for all the projector and enlarger lenses and other oddities I use.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Vivitar 2x MACRO teleconverter with Contax/Yashica mount.

After watching this thread, I spotted one on UK's ebay in almost mint condition and pulled the trigger Smile

I am happy because the C/Y version is quite rare and the condition is superb.

Contax Distagon 1.4/35 + Vivitar 2x TC MACRO on EOS 5DMkII

PP - LIghtRoom, Photoshop

and yes ! - wide open at f/1.4

tf

I think you should have bought plenty of this teleconverter. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Yep. Trifox and Calvin have a project in the works using glassless Vivitar macro TCs as helicals. I don't know the specifics of it, though.

I don't know about Stan and Calvin but I've also abused a number of Vivitar macro focussing TCs as helicals. Different mounts have different degrees of difficulty getting the (admittedly pretty good) optics out. The C/Y version is relatively easy, the Nikon doable and the Minolta pretty hard.

The C/Y is a good match in length for the S-Planar 100/4, but it needs more surgery, as its rear element is very recessed. You need to take out the aperture connectors of the TC as well to get enough width. No problem for use on DSLRs, less practical on Contax analogue cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, I had some other questions about this TC :

1. I assume that macro teleconverter means an ordinary teleconverter for macro lens/ macro photography. Or is it a dedicated teleconverter designed for macro photo?

2. If I want to convert front & rear mount of this TC to EOS (so I don't have to buy multi mount TC Smile ), which mount is the easiest one to convert?
Or should I buy another TC such as Kenko instead?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

1. I assume that macro teleconverter means an ordinary teleconverter for macro lens/ macro photography. Or is it a dedicated teleconverter designed for macro photo?

2. If I want to convert front & rear mount of this TC to EOS (so I don't have to buy multi mount TC Smile ), which mount is the easiest one to convert?

Thanks.

1. The Vivitar is a teleconverter that can be used for both infinity and close-up photography. The helical allows you to focus closer than you would with the lens used on its own. I don't know whether it is optimised optically for close-up work. A similar looking Panagor macroconverter only allows close-up work, no infinity.

2. Buying an EF TC is much easier. Converting the front mount of a Vivitar 2x TC Macro will be a serious challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
nixland wrote:

Thanks.

1. The Vivitar is a teleconverter that can be used for both infinity and close-up photography. The helical allows you to focus closer than you would with the lens used on its own. I don't know whether it is optimised optically for close-up work. A similar looking Panagor macroconverter only allows close-up work, no infinity.

2. Buying an EF TC is much easier. Converting the front mount of a Vivitar 2x TC Macro will be a serious challenge.

Thanks a lot for the explanation and advices.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I press the Submit button to fast Smile

The story is this, at first I bought Vivitar 90/2.5 macro lens but stupid me I didn't check the mount and it's Minolta mount.
But I have no heart to convert it because it's a rare lens Smile
Then I read this thread and got an idea to buy a Vivitar 2x TC with Minolta mount and modify the rear mount of the TC to EOS.

On the other hand I also need a 2x TC for my MF Nikkor tele lens.
The Canon EF TC can only be used with certain EF lenses, due it's proturing rear elemen. So, I thought that maybe this Vivitar TC could be modified to EOS mount TC Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your Vivitar 90/2.5 the Komine made (serial number starting with 2Cool or the Tokina made (serial number starting with 37) version? The Tokina made version has a specially designed macroconverter for it to get to 1:1.

If you want to the M/SR mount lens on your Canon, you could use a Rollei/EF adapter with it. With my Tokina 90/2.5 in SR mount I can focus to about 5 meters this way. Its disadvantage is the friction fix between lens and adapter - you need to be fairly careful when handling this lens/camera combination. If you use this adapter only on this single lens, you can use some teflon tape to make the connection more secure. Alternatively there is a glassless Minolta SR - EF adapter available on eBay, but it adds about 10mm extension, so it is only useful for close-up work with a 90mm lens.

It should be possible to convert the rear of a Minolta mount Vivitar 2x macroTC to EF, but I haven't tried it yet. The combination of Tokina 90/2.5, Vivitar 2x TC macro and Rollei/ef adapter gets me a maximum focus distance of about 20 meters, but the connection between Rollei adapter and TC is less secure than between Rollei adapter and Tokina lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Tokina made version. The most sought after version Smile
Is there any specific name for this special macroconverter? as a guideline if I search them on eBay.

Thanks for the tips of Rollei-EF mount.
By the way I just ordered the optic-less Minolta-EF adapter from eBay that you mentioned. Well, I know it will function as a short extension tube dan will have short focus distance, but I can't wait to try the lens any longer Smile

I will give a try to the Vivitar+TC+Rollei-EF adapter combo as soon as I get the TC later.

Anyway, I just realize a stupid flaw in my plan. If I modify the front part of the Vivitar TC to EOS then how could I mount it to the Vivitar lens with Minolta mount ... Very Happy Very Happy

So I need 2 TCs, one is specific for the Vivitar 90/2.5 lens (mount it to camera using Rollei-EOS or modify the rear part to EOS),
and one for "general purpose" EOS mount lens or any lens which has adapter to EOS (modified both front and rear part).

For the second TC, does anybody have experience comparing the Vivitar TC vs Kenko 2x DGX TC? If the difference is not noticable or the Kenko is better, I think I should get the Kenko to eliminate the conversion problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
It's Tokina made version. The most sought after version Smile
Is there any specific name for this special macroconverter? as a guideline if I search them on eBay.

On the Vivitar version it says: "Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 MACRO ADAPTER". This version has a rotating tripod mount, the Tokina branded one hasn't. The Tokina version reads: Tokina AT-X MACRO EXTENDER. Both versions appear very similar (I don't have them in the same mount though) apart from the coating, which is more cyan on the Vivitar and orange/purple on the Tokina.

nixland wrote:

Thanks for the tips of Rollei-EF mount.
By the way I just ordered the optic-less Minolta-EF adapter from eBay that you mentioned. Well, I know it will function as a short extension tube dan will have short focus distance, but I can't wait to try the lens any longer Smile

I will give a try to the Vivitar+TC+Rollei-EF adapter combo as soon as I get the TC later.

Anyway, I just realize a stupid flaw in my plan. If I modify the front part of the Vivitar TC to EOS then how could I mount it to the Vivitar lens with Minolta mount ... Very Happy Very Happy

So I need 2 TCs, one is specific for the Vivitar 90/2.5 lens (mount it to camera using Rollei-EOS or modify the rear part to EOS),
and one for "general purpose" EOS mount lens or any lens which has adapter to EOS (modified both front and rear part).

How important is it to you to be able to focus past 6 meters with this lens? If it is, my suggestion is to sell the SR mount lens to someone shooting a NEX. If it isn't, get a Rollei adapter and fix it non-permanently with teflon tape.

Using an adapted or modified TC results in a 180mm f/5.0, which is great for chasing butterflies but not fast enough for shallow DoF portraits.

nixland wrote:

For the second TC, does anybody have experience comparing the Vivitar TC vs Kenko 2x DGX TC? If the difference is not noticable or the Kenko is better, I think I should get the Kenko to eliminate the conversion problem.

If you use a non-chipped lens on an EF teleconverter, you may get problems, with the electronics in the converter telling the camera there is a lens that doesn't communicate with it. My 1.4x Kenko 300 Pro DG doesn't work, neither do my EF extension tubes. You can get around it by taping the electronic contacts of the converter. Other converters appear to be of the non-reporting kind and won't clash with non-chipped lenses.