Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 19/3.8 - my new favorite lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Vivitar 19/3.8 - my new favorite lens Reply with quote

Well, it is wide and it is cheap and it is good enough for me !

Miscellaneous locations.

Some of these are taken near the train station in Davis, California others on Bernal Heights, San Francisco, some in downtown San Francisco, and one from my rear window.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis

I am blown away by the quality of this lens. I would expect it perhaps from a Series 1, but this is a "regular" right?

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great set, Luis, and some fabulous results with a lens that goes for
less than $50 (most times) on ebay.

Patrick, yes, this just regular Viv.

Bil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice result for a super wide
if I see it at 40$ maybe I will save one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. The photos are great Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a Cosina 3.8/20 which is said to be the similar lens and I also think it is a good one - by no means perfect, but "good enough" as you say.
I guess this is what we should aim at, to find lenses that are good enough for our personal taste and need without paying enormous amounts of money.

BTW, I have a Vivitar 3.5/17 (made by Tokina) that I rate even higher than the Cosina. You perhaps should keep you eyes peeled for it... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot that of #2, spectacular.

n.7 and 8 remind me of Flatiron building in NYC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 19 (I think it is 3.8 -) that I bought used from a camera store for $29 in Nikon mount. Look like I really need to get off my butt and start shooting with it.

Great shots!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots - and the IQ is far better than I expected from that lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
n.7 and 8 remind me of Flatiron building in NYC.

Yes, that's what I thought as well!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! That lense really does a nice job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, love the colour renditions, really deep and rich, excellent results from the lens. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those, will be on the lookout now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series.

I was curious about the results from this lens, as I have one I can now use on the old Singlex, subsequent to my discovering it's a faux-Nikon. I have an old castle interior to shoot soon and I'll make use of it then.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... I just ordered one for myself... what aperture did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this lens as well..It's a Cosina made optic that is quite decent for the low prices you can get it for...Here's some shots I took in the Fall (slight saturation boost & cropping only)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no details looks a painted art Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I've just bought one, should be here tomorrow. Looking at the pictures and reports it should be a decent lens, maybe not the best, but decent. We shall see. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 19/3.8 - my new favorite lens Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Well, it is wide and it is cheap and it is good enough for me !

Miscellaneous locations.

Some of these are taken near the train station in Davis, California others on Bernal Heights, San Francisco, some in downtown San Francisco, and one from my rear window.

Nice pictures, this one btw doesn't look at all like a wide angle shoot, looks a tele view, instead...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selective dyslexia strikes again. After glancing at the subject line, I thought I read f/1.9 35mm Vivitar. So never mind . . .

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in pentax K mount: i like it, it's compact, it has good colors and sharpness, especially in short-mid distance.
I put it for sale here just because I already have two 20mm lenses that i use regularly, and this will get little use.
Some samples from my copy here http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-mc-wide-angle-19mm-13-8-t59503,highlight,%2Bvivitar.html