Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why not to buy cheap Chinese variable ND filters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Why not to buy cheap Chinese variable ND filters Reply with quote

I figured I'd try one, I understood there would be color shift, but planned on converting to b&w anyway. The item in question is a FOTGA Variable ND Filter; it promises "Optical Glass from Japan" etc Click here to see on Ebay... Laughing I suppose I'll have to try their
'professional after sales support.'

Apart from the obvious, the filter screws up sharpness at infinity.

Ai'd Nikkor-P 24/2.8, D600

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the auction link:
Quote:
It may not be suitable for wide angle lens <24mm,35mm film format equivalent.

The X vignetting is nearly unavoidable if you use a VND a high ND setting in a wide angle lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that... what causes that, just the geometry of the thing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cheap one too (approx £12-Amazon) and mine also softens images, though not much. The colour cast is minimal and easy to correct in Lightroom.

I don't know what causes the 'X' at wide angles but it's not too difficult to avoid after a few test shots.

I keep promising myself I'll buy a 'good' one but the best ones cost over £200. Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way to a VND is to add a linear polariser to any CPL you already own.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
The cheapest way to a VND is to add a linear polariser to any CPL you already own.

linear polarisers are not easy to get these days. The best way to get one is to take apart a Variable ND filter and take out one of the elements. But then I guess that defeats the object a bit...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good nd filter i can recomend the haida 10 stop nd great and not to expensive hardly any colour cast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
GeorgeSalt wrote:

linear polarisers are not easy to get these days. The best way to get one is to take apart a Variable ND filter and take out one of the elements. But then I guess that defeats the object a bit...

Usually easy to find a linear on Ebay, that's where I picked one up for a pound or so.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
If you want a good nd filter i can recomend the haida 10 stop nd great and not to expensive hardly any colour cast

I bought a 77mm Haida PRO II MC ND 3.0 SLIM but I never have time to try it. Some review said it will give a slightly blue tone but easy to correct. Do you find any blue tone/tint in your copy?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion moved to appropriate section ("Accessories")

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What GeorgeSalt said about linear polarizers. Also, I'll often buy camera outfits that are for sale locally, typically through Craigslist. This has netted me a rather large stack of both linear P's and circular P's. Anyway, stacking two is an easy way to get an ND, and one of them does not have to be circular. Something I recall from a physics class I took over 30 years ago is that when two polarizers are stacked, setting them at 90 degrees to each other renders 100% opacity, or darkness, if you will. The ones we had to demonstrate this weren't circular, either. However, stacking two circular Ps doesn't give you this effect.

Since the lens used was a 24mm Nikkor, I'm assuming the example ND filter is a 52mm, right? SonicScot's comment that one would run over £200 seemed -- well, just implausible, let's say. So I did a bit of googling. And £200 is indeed a bit high. I can buy a B+W variable ND from B&H Photo for "only" $226.95. Whoa! Such a deal! Criminy! Tiffen makes excellent filters. Theirs carries a list price of "only" $129.95. Geez, I don't understand why they're so expensive. I've just assumed they were two polarizers stacked. How else would they work?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one on Amazon for £279 + postage http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B005CTT974/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1381075784&sr=1-1
I am talking about a 77mm variety because that covers all but two of my lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just looking for very long exposures with the cheapest filter, you can't beat a DIY using welding glass..

coquet island by SaltGeorge, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that George. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welding glass comes in different darkness grades ( for different types of welding ) and it's optically flat, if welders are looking through it all day then it has to be good because of all the health and safety issues.
I use MIG welding glass which fits Cokin P filter holders. I take the sharp edges and corners off with an oilstone or one of the cheap diamond dust sharpening stones.
A visit to your local engineering supplier will get you the glass quite cheaply, but a DIY / motoring store might be sell the glass singly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
If you're just looking for very long exposures with the cheapest filter, you can't beat a DIY using welding glass..

Dear George
What kind of welding glass do you use?
I think there are some different products on e-bay.
Is it the green one, which seems to be the most common?

KR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it several years ago after someone sent me a link to the welding glass filled thread on Talk Photography. It's just a cheap shade 8 (I think) from EBay, I think it is green tinged. I use a Lightroom preset for the colour correction.

You can't completely take away the colour cast, but with the right scene you can get extremely close.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx - the photo looks great by the way Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one was shot with a linear-circular polariser VND.

As long as you don't push the effect to hard, you can recover the colour quite well. It's odd to use though, you set the exposure you want and then Meyer to set the filter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this page with all the information I needed. I insert it here, if there are others who have the same questions as I do.
http://www.alexwisephotography.net/blog/2013/07/07/create-yourself-a-neutral-density-filter-for-under-10/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He misses out a vital piece of equipment, you must cover up the eyepiece when doing thus to prevent light coming in from the back. It does happen during long daylight exposures.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's nice to know. Thanks for the information.
I have ordered a piece of glass, and am excited to try it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My filter set-up for welding glass..

welding glass filter, mk2 by SaltGeorge, on Flickr

You need to file the bump on the back down because once you epoxy the welding glass on you can't flex the holder to get the lens ring in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:

Lovely shot, taken about 10 miles from here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard MIG welding glass with the sharp edges smoothed off with diamond dust sharpening stone, unmodified Cokin P Series filter holder.

Works perfectly, no gluing or messing about. Wink