Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why not to buy cheap Chinese variable ND filters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup. One good thing about the Cokin P series holder is it's still available new.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Beware of getting the wrong VND-filter/Different threads Reply with quote

Be aware before buying a VND-filter. Ask if both threads are the same. I have got one which has different ones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
He misses out a vital piece of equipment, you must cover up the eyepiece when doing thus to prevent light coming in from the back. It does happen during long daylight exposures.

Mirror up does not block light entering eyepiece?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
GeorgeSalt wrote:
He misses out a vital piece of equipment, you must cover up the eyepiece when doing thus to prevent light coming in from the back. It does happen during long daylight exposures.

No. I have tried daylight shots using welding glass with and without the eyepiece cover. When it's uncovered there's ghosting in the centre of the image if the sun is behind you or over your shoulder. It's a really low level of light getting in, but with the high level of filter on the lens it becomes significant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
GeorgeSalt wrote:

No. I have tried daylight shots using welding glass with and without the eyepiece cover. When it's uncovered there's ghosting in the centre of the image if the sun is behind you or over your shoulder. It's a really low level of light getting in, but with the high level of filter on the lens it becomes significant.

Good to know, thanks.

Embarassed Of course -- dSLR mirror is only partially reflective, some light passes through to AF sensors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: VND filters good til 200mm Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
If you want a good nd filter i can recomend the haida 10 stop nd great and not to expensive hardly any colour cast

chinese ebay seller told: VND filter ok til 200mm.

NBI: heliopan has digital filters. didnt check.
NBII: when i had ideas for pinhole-shift(lens)-adapter(before custom camera building came with its genious rotashift-lens for MF cams) i removed glass from VND filter. there was a japanese 4x5 cam having this tech inside.canon just announce a variable base 3dstereocam with similar idea inside.