Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

C.P Goerz berlin Rapid-paraplanat II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: C.P Goerz berlin Rapid-paraplanat II Reply with quote

Hello,

Im new in the world of mf lenses.
I've bought a bunch of old copper lenses on a flea market.

And this is one of them.

Somehow i want to know more about this lens. but i can't seem to find alot info about this lens.

whats the angle, when was it build ?, etc....
( there is no serial number).

(Only the copper part )

Last edited by KarelDH on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: C.P Goerz berlin Rapid-paraplanat II Reply with quote

KarelDH wrote:
Hello,

Im new in the world of mf lenses.
I've bought a bunch of old copper lenses on a flea market.

And this is one of them.

Somehow i want to know more about this lens. but i can't seem to find alot info about this lens.

whats the angle, when was it build ?, etc....
( there is no serial number).

(Only the copper part )

Welcome to this friendly forum! I'll quote your post for the picture to show up. An user's first post can never contain pictures (anti-spam measure).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, tnx, didn't know what i was doing wrong Sad, previeuw where ok but indeed picture did not show up. so ty!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board - that's a beautiful lens, predates my magazines so I don't have an ad for it... seems to be one of the very early Goerz lenses, I see an auction reference citing c.1890.

Looks like you've lashed it onto a bellows - please post sample pics if you have them!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Congrats for these great finds! I look forward your sample shoots!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took some sample shots. nothing fancy ^^

My opinion is that it's a pretty sharp lens, but the weird thing is that closing the aperture does not make it have more detail. ( but there is less blooming ( is the word i think, evryting is shining).

the aperture (starts at) 6,12,24,48,96,192,384

Shots are made with Olympus e-620.
(Makes this lens an tele becouse of my tiny sensor)

No retouch,just out of the box

f=6 (full open)

100% crop ( picture above)

f=6

f=24

Karel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great , sharp result from a very old lens, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here!! Very nice results!

I checked the GOERZ catalogues of 1913/1915/1949/1950
but could not locate that lens...

Found in some auction text:
"From the Early Years of C. P. Goerz: Rapid Paraplanat II, c. 1890 C. P. Goerz, Berlin. Very early and rare lens by Goerz, without engraving "Goerz", iris stop 6-384, height: 2 in., Ø 2 in., glass very clean. - Rare!"

So no wonder I couldn't find anything, it is quite older.

Another source valued it at EUR80 btw.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus thank you very much !

It does look alike !, same name. my glass element looks bigger tho, ( might also be the hood giving the wrong inpresion).

So ,over hunder years old, one thing is sure the one who it was from took care of it. almost no wear, no scrathses , an the blades are clean.

thank u

Karel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beautiful lens and the first samples seems very good!
I just don't get how it is possible to mount this lens on a DSL-R cam and above that it seems that you can reach infinity focus Question .....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
I just don't get how it is possible to mount this lens on a DSL-R cam and above that it seems that you can reach infinity focus Question .....

easy:
1) thread adaptor,
2) long enough focal length (on bellows to focus)
3) ... done

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
pich900 wrote:

easy:
1) thread adaptor,
3) ... done

Thanks Klaus....so does it means that this kind of lenses could be also mounted on Nikon body and with infinity focus Question...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
kds315* wrote:
pich900 wrote:

easy:
1) thread adaptor,
3) ... done

Thanks Klaus....so does it means that this kind of lenses could be also mounted on Nikon body and with infinity focus Question...
If the register distance is larger than 46mm. Probably the case with large format lenses Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am considering selling some lenses.

This is one of the lenses im thinking of selling.

But i can only find one site that gives a price .
http://www.todayphoto.com/3rx/e8955969-fd7e-4f80-a14c-f0bf4bbab6a5.html
And im not sure if it is the price (couse i do not understand chinese )

Does anyone know a site where i can find (selling) prices for old lenses

Klaus you found a site where they said it sells for 80 euro ? Remeber what website this was ?

Ty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always hard to determine the price of these old lenses, it would probably be worth more to a collector for rarity than to a user to shoot. That said, it looks to be a very usable lens and would probably be very useful on a large format film camera. No idea what late size it will cover, perhaps you can try to work out the image circle size by holding it upto a window and projecting the image onto a sheet of paper. If it has no focal length engraved on it, you will have to try and work that out too.

The Paraplanat was designed by C.Moser in 1888 as an f7.5 Rapid Rectilinear type, it was a general purpose lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarelDH wrote:
Hi,

I am considering selling some lenses.

This is one of the lenses im thinking of selling.

Does anyone know a site where i can find (selling) prices for old lenses

Klaus you found a site where they said it sells for 80 euro ? Remeber what website this was ?

Ty

You could look in the Large Format Photography forums, where old brass lenses are quite widely used by several people and more than one of them would be able to give you some idea of the value.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/forum.php?

Also, APUG
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarelDH wrote:

It says google translated:
Commodity prices: € 737

(So the value mentioned is a price index given.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, there is just no such thing as "price" for lenses which have been made/survived in very limited quantity.
It could be €1000, €100 or €20.
Only demand can decide the selling price.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

€20 was an exaggeration, of course.
There is a minimum level, below which I wouldn't bother to be selling... Like €100 or so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tond wrote:
Imho, there is just no such thing as "price" for lenses which have been made/survived in very limited quantity.

Surely there is, when it has been auctioned before you have a quite good indication.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
tond wrote:

Surely there is, when it has been auctioned before you have a quite good indication.

Theoretically you're right, assuming that all the potential buyers are aware of all the offers worldwide.
But when not only the supply, but also the demand is very low, the previous price won't be always true (and "low demand" here means literally just several individuals in the world).
For example, the right buyer might not have spotted the previous show up of the desired lens, hence the previous auctioned price didn't raise high enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just showed that the low price never is € 100, so it goes further than only theoretically.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across a picture Adding some info to this lens,

First time i have seen a second ( exact copy ) of this lens attached onto this machine.
I do not have more info. feel free to Add any if you want Wink