Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual lenses question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Manual lenses question Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

i registered here because i just can't seem to find an answer to my specific question. I've bought a Canon EOS 400d about a week ago. My father's old SLR is a Pentax MG with these lenses:

Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm 1:2.5
SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:2
Tamron 28mm 1:2.5

Of course, i would like to use these on my new DSLR. The problem, i really have no idea what adapter to buy, even if there is one. K Mount? Bayonet? M42? I have no clue what all those terms mean Embarassed

So can anyone help? Ask questions all you want, i'll be happy to answer them!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual lenses question Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

Fliz wrote:

Pentax to Canon
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=canon+pentax+adapter

Tamron adaptall-2 Pentax
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=adaptall+2+pentax

Take any of them , cheap one also ok.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome fliz - you are definitely in the right place

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual lenses question Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome aboard!

Fliz wrote:

Pentax to Canon
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=canon+pentax+adapter

Tamron adaptall-2 Pentax
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=adaptall+2+pentax

Take any of them , cheap one also ok.

Thanks! That very kind of you! I do have two question regardings those two links.

Pentax to Canon: I see on Ebay they have just regular Pentax to canon (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-Lens-to-Canon-adapter-for-EOS-40D-400D-350D-30D_W0QQitemZ150249632676QQihZ005QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and also MP42 Pentax to canon (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M42-Pentax-Zenit-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-Mount-Adapter-Ring_W0QQitemZ270239073835QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29982QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Are these two also the same? Doesn't matter which one i get?

As for the Tamron: you linked me with an adapter for Tamron to Pentax. So that means i put this kind of adapter on the Tamron lens and mount that on the pentax to canon adapter?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Tamron already has a Pentax mount on it, just the one purchase of a Pentax->EOS adapter will do what you need for all three lenses. There is a seperate Tamron->EOS mount available if you want to use it.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Fliz
have a nice stay with us

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
If your Tamron already has a Pentax mount on it, just the one purchase of a Pentax->EOS adapter will do what you need for all three lenses. There is a seperate Tamron->EOS mount available if you want to use it.

As a matter of fact, the tamron does fit the Pentax body. So basically i only need one Pentax to EOS adapter like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-Lens-to-Canon-adapter-for-EOS-40D-400D-350D-30D_W0QQitemZ150249632676QQihZ005QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellcome!

The M50/2,0 is a very good lens, I like it.

you need only a adapter pentax to canon, that´s all.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question. My EOS 400d in combination with those lenses.. Will the image quality and sharpness still be good? Or is this combining old lensens with a DSLR a lost case?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliz wrote:
I have another question. My EOS 400d in combination with those lenses.. Will the image quality and sharpness still be good? Or is this combining old lensens with a DSLR a lost case?

Yes, it's hopeless. You should parcel up all those rotten old lenses and send them to me and I'll look after them for you. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now a serious answer? Wink I know they're good, but i just don't know how good in comparison to new 'digital' lenses.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliz wrote:
And now a serious answer? Wink I know they're good, but i just don't know how good in comparison to new 'digital' lenses.

Generally speaking:
a used MF lens is at least as good as a new AF lens of the same type costing 2 times as much, or even 3 times as much.
This of course is a generalization. It depends a lot on the single models.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice to hear! And does anybody know if these lenses (see first post) are any good?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliz wrote:

None of the three you have are lemons and if you get on with using MF lenses, you'll find they produce perfectly good pictures on a dSLR, usually just as good and in some cases better, than an all-singing, all-dancing AF lens.
Did you use them at all on your father's camera? If so, you'll know what to expect. If not, then you'll have a learning curve, but it's no big thing. You might get hooked of course, but that's something else. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my adapter yesterday! The seller said he shipped it on monday, so that means it got here in 2 days from Hong Kong! Very nice service! It all works perfectly so i can only thank you guys once again for all your help. As for the lenses: the 28 & 50 mm seem very good; the 135 doesn't seem that good.

I now have 4 lenses + 1 2X convertor! Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the SMC 50/2,0 - it is sharper as the new FA50/1,4, a wonderfull lens, good machanic.

The 135mm is also good, I am sure.

It´s amazing, how good old lenses can be (not all, I have some doorstoppers, too),
you will find your lenses in this forum -
Funtion Search and a little bit of time, you must give,
and you can find the answers.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliz wrote:
That's nice to hear! And does anybody know if these lenses (see first post) are any good?

Hi Fliz and welcome. First a brief explantion of the mounts:

The Canon bayonet mount is called EOS (sometimes EF or EF-S for digital cameras with smaller sensors)
PK is short for the Pentax K bayonet mount. Later they developed the KA mount with electrical contacts. Your MG camera is simple K mount.
M42 is a screw mount with 42mm dia x 1mm pitch metric thread. It was used on earlier Pentax cameras like the Spotmatic, and many other German, Russan and Japanese makes. It is sometimes called Pentax or Universal screw mount (very confusing)

Now the lenses: The Pentax-M 2.0/50 would probably have been the kit lens that came boxed with the camera. Being slightly slower than the 1.4 and 1.7 lenses it would have been the cheapest option, but that's not to say the image quality is worse. All Pentax-M lenses are good quality but perhaps not the VERY best in my view. I think this is probably the best quality lens of the three.

I am doubtful about the so-called "non-SMC" Takumars like your 135. I don't have any myself but I've heard some poor opinions. But don't worry because there are always VERY good 135 lenses available at dirt cheap prices. If you're not happy with yours we can give you many recommendations. The Pentax-M 3.5/135 for starters.

With the Tamron 28mm, again I think this is not the very best quality, although it is above average. The best Tamrons have the prefix SP (Super Performance) and were targeted towards serious amateur and professional users. You can find out lots about Tamron lenses at the Adaptall-2.com website. This links to your lens:
http://www.adaptall-2.com./lenses/02B.html

Now the adapters. I have a 400D too and I also use a Pentax K2 and ME Super with K-mount too. Compared to the Canon, the K-mount is fairly restrictive in what lenses you can use. Besides K-mount lenses you're basically limited to M42 or adaptable lenses like Tamrons. The Canon will accept many other mounts with the right adapters. Because of this I have retricted myself so far to using just K-mount and M42 lenses. I'm now starting to think abiout other makes, but I can only use them on the Canon.

So, I would say your best route at this stage would be to buy three adapters:
1 - To fit your K-mount lenses on the 400D you need a PK/EOS adapter like the one you selected (except I would advise getting one with an AF-confirm chip)
2 - To be able to use M42 lenses on the 400D you'd need a M42/EOS adapter (also with chip). If you decide to buy one ask us about it first as there are issues.
3 - a M42/PK adapter woould allow you to use M42 lenses on the MG. Try to find a genuine Asahi Pentax one on Ebay - the new non-Pentax adapters aren't always secure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for that! But i only bought a pentax to eos adapter and i'm happy with it. I have a tight budget so i won't be buying any new lenses soon.

This is a very user friendly forum btw!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliz wrote:
Wow, thanks for that! But i only bought a pentax to eos adapter

Yeah, I noticed too late! Smile I was away last week and I missed your original message.

When you can afford a new lens, I think maybe the best length to start with would be around 35mm. On a film cam like the MG a "normal" lens is 50mm but using this on the 400D is more like a telephoto with a restricted field of view. This is because the sensor in the camera is smaller than the film frame, and 35mm gives you approximately the same field of view as a 50mm on the MG. There are plenty of cheap M42 mount 35mm lenses on Ebay - I'd recommend the MIR-1B to start with (£15-£30). But if you find a K-mount lens please join the queue behind me! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 28mm lens too Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliz wrote:
I have a 28mm lens too Wink

I realised that. At present on the 400D you have a moderate wide angle, a moderate tele and a long tele but no normal lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, but i also have the kitlens (18-55)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliz wrote:
That's true, but i also have the kitlens (18-55)

Shocked Blasphemy!! Wink