Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

tamron SP 23A 60-300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: tamron SP 23A 60-300 Reply with quote

there are some topics about this lens, here is mine Smile

Here are some samples taken with a Canon 5D

Last edited by Nelson on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens. Some beautiful looking cars there! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why I see caption on pictures ".... canon 5D + 50mm f1,4......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots. I like the third one the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good samples with this nice lens. I got one some time ago, and even the performance was very good, I got rid of it because the weight Sad.
Now I regret it, after watching your samples.
Thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very good Nelson. Did you use a tripod? I think I'd use this lens a lot more if it had a tripod mount.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm 1.4 is due to the AF confirm chip

All picture hand helded (and the caterham is not as sharp as it should be)

I never tought this lens is heavy, it is a light lens for travel with a large range

It was the first time i used it on the full frame and it performed very well !

for sure it is not the BEST lens of the world, but it is a affordable good lens !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Yes, very good Nelson. Did you use a tripod? I think I'd use this lens a lot more if it had a tripod mount.

Tamron produced a dedicated tripod mount collar for this lens which also fitted a few others in their range. The only restriction when fitted to the 60-300mm is that it can only be zoomed between approx 100mm to 300mm. There are a couple for sale on eBay at the moment albeit slightly pricey!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Chinese-made tripod collar for one of the Canon zooms that should fit... I think it's the 70-210mm EF.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
There's a Chinese-made tripod collar for one of the Canon zooms that should fit... I think it's the 70-210mm EF.

I have the original Canon collar you refer to but it is too large. I also have one of the Chinese-made collars which I bought before I found the Tamron one; it is too large too. Of course, it could be made to fit by reducing the internal diameter with felt or cork for example.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I used the 80-200L/70-200L4 collar for my Tamron 30A. Fits without issue.

I had the same issue when trying the tripod collar on the 52A and the 54B. According to tamron's ...I mean Adaptall-2, the diameter's 64.5mm vs the 65mm that the ebay tripod collar is made for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the cheaper tripod mounts I can find on the bay refer to specific Canon lenses without giving the diameter. Sad That's not very helpful for this exercise.

FotoPete wrote:
Yea I used the 80-200L/70-200L4 collar for my Tamron 30A. Fits without issue.

What's the diameter of that one, FotoPete?

I'm wondering if the tripod mount might make a nice DIY project - shouldn't be too difficult. I'm thinking about using a flexible nylon band rather than metal, so it could be adjustable, with a tightening ratchet thingy similar to one of those luggage straps.

I measured the 60-300 Tamron lens. The diameter of the "neck" in front of the aperture dial is 61mm and the width of the collar needs to be no more than 10mm wide to retain the full zoom range. With a 19mm width band, the zoom range would be approx. 100-300.

Edgar, that Bessaflex camera and the lens look absolutely superb. I'm really envious about your tripod too! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know but given my brief trials, the tripod bracket just fits the Tamron 80-200/2.8 30A but is a sliver loose with the 52A / 54B.

The Canon tripod ring is often advertised with 65~66mm inner diameter.

I bought one of the black colour (to match the tamron) generic copies of Canon's designated A(b) tripod ring made for their 80-200 f2.8 USM L "Magic Drainpipe".

I think the white ones (see Canon A(w) II and the first generation A(w)) made for their 70-200 F4 L/IS also fit just fine.

I don't have a photo of my lens handy but here's one from Hinman's Tech Corner. Its the same one that I have but white.
http://www.techtheman.com/2009/10/tamron-sp-80-200mm-f28-adaptall-2-30a.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you notice any distortion with this lens when set to 60mm and using a FF body? I did and thats why I sold mine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Edgar, that Bessaflex camera and the lens look absolutely superb. I'm really envious about your tripod too! Smile

Thank you. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer remember the eBay seller I purchased it from, or which Canon lens(es)
it was supposed to be for, but this one allows for full zoom travel without restricting
focus or aperture adjustment at all:

It was slightly large for the Tammy's barrel, so I ended up using felt pads made for
furniture feet, cut to a bit less than the width of the collar, then gradually compressing
the felt by turning the clamping screw a small amount over the course of a week or two.

I'm unable to find my original thread about this, but if it turns up, it's full of a lot of
good ideas from many members.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
I no longer remember the eBay seller I purchased it from, or which Canon lens(es)
it was supposed to be for, but this one allows for full zoom travel without restricting
focus or aperture adjustment at all:

It was slightly large for the Tammy's barrel, so I ended up using felt pads made for
furniture feet, cut to a bit less than the width of the collar, then gradually compressing
the felt by turning the clamping screw a small amount over the course of a week or two.

I'm unable to find my original thread about this, but if it turns up, it's full of a lot of
good ideas from many members.

The Canon Tripod Mount Ring A(W) is for the Canon EF 4/70-200mm L USM lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Do you notice any distortion with this lens when set to 60mm and using a FF body? I did and thats why I sold mine.

I'll do some more test asap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:

Genius solution haha Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens has good macro capacities !
And it fits very well with Canon 5D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Actually, the Tamron 60-300 has a surprisingly good macro feature. Must have been a couple of years ago I tested three macro lenses and tossed in the 60-300 as sort of a joke. I included it because it has a maximum macro ratio of 1:1.55, which is remarkable for a zoom. The results were surprising. It is very sharp in the center of the field, comparable to some excellent macro lenses I own, but at larger apertures, is quite soft in the corners. But as the lens is stopped down, it tends to retain its center sharpness very well, while the corners steadily improve.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the macro mode is at the 60mm end.

Reminds me of the Tokina AT-X 50-250mm/4-5.6, which also has a macro mode at 50mm end for 1:1.4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:
Notice the macro mode is at the 60mm end.

Reminds me of the Tokina AT-X 50-250mm/4-5.6, which also has a macro mode at 50mm end for 1:1.4

Well, actually, the macro is engaged at the 60mm end, but by pushing the zoom ring up to the 300mm end it magnifies the macro up to 1:1.55 - not true macro, but useful nonetheless.
I do think that the macro would have to be engaged before adding the tripod collar, otherwise it (the tripod collar) will foul the point at which the macro slides in, preventing it from doing so.
I think that after the collar is applied, the zoom will start at 100mm or so - as it can't slide back to its original position because of the collar's width.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Well, actually, the macro is engaged at the 60mm end, but by pushing the zoom ring up to the 300mm end it magnifies the macro up to 1:1.55

Yes, but it is still a 60mm macro. When you push the lens to 300mm, you only add space behind the 60mm lens - it's like adding extension tubes to it. Watch how the elements look at 60mm and at 300mm - at 300mm the rear group is far from the front, at 60mm it's close. When you change magnification ratio in macro mode, the groups don't change and they're close - it's just the 60mm setup being moved farther or closer to the mount.

With the lens hood on, you cannot even photograph at 1:1.55 because the hood will hit or cover the subject.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Well, actually, the macro is engaged at the 60mm end, but by pushing the zoom ring up to the 300mm end it magnifies the macro up to 1:1.55

Yes, but it is still a 60mm macro. When you push the lens to 300mm, you only add space behind the 60mm lens - it's like adding extension tubes to it. Watch how the elements look at 60mm and at 300mm - at 300mm the rear group is far from the front, at 60mm it's close. When you change magnification ratio in macro mode, the groups don't change and they're close - it's just the 60mm setup being moved farther or closer to the mount.

With the lens hood on, you cannot even photograph at 1:1.55 because the hood will hit or cover the subject.

OK, yes I see.
With the tripod collar in place the zoom ring sits at about the 100mm mark.
It is rather a large lens then for a 60mm macro isn't it.
Cheers
OH