Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

tamron SP 23A 60-300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very smooth colors, and very sharp.. I particularly like pattern in the reflection on a compound eye.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
this lens has good macro capacities !
And it fits very well with Canon 5D

Very nice picture. How did you get the dragonfly to stay still when you took the shot? When used in the macro mode, it front element is so close, it will sure scare away any critters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Tripod mounts for adaptall lenses Reply with quote

Apropos tripod mounts from China for adaptall 23A etc...

I now have 4 of 'em. They are invariably described as being for Canon lenses in my case the 70-200mm f4/Canon EF 300mm F4L/Canon EF 400mm F5.6L lenses. In any event these are approx 66mm ID (and often stated as such). And at a fiver or a bit less each can't argue with the price.

As is they are just about spot on to fit around the 01F TC. Pic also shows one modded to fit 19AH 70-210mm, which like the 23A zooms in moving out. This is also same size for 300mm 54B.

I have been intending to mod one for my 23A so in a sudden enthusiasm here is how ....:

NEED:
1. LENS, MOUNT
2. CLING FILM
3. BODY FILLER PASTE eg isopon or similar (epoxy based pastes will probably work too but these styrene based ones are cheaper and easier to work with).

1. remove the felt from the mount. To peel it off in one piece and preserve the adhesive on it suficiently I have usually resorted to warming it over a radiator or stove.
2. I also roughen/clean the interior surface of the mount once the felt is removed with sandpaper.
3. size up the mount around the lens and estimate how much filler. Typically something between large marble and golf ball size amount.
4. IMPORTANT. don't forget to do this if you don't want the mount permanently attached to the lens. Wrap cling film - one layer is fine - smoothly around the lens where the mount is going to be used.
5. Mix the filler with catalyst/hardener and smear evenly around the interior of the mount.
6. ease the mount into position and close it so that that the filler is moulded to the contour of the lens barrel.
7. rather than letting the filler harden completely it is better to catch it while it is half hard or "green" - typically 10-30mins depending on how much/how old catalyst, ambient temp etc.. Then it is easy to ease the mount off the lens, jettison the cling film and use a modelling knife to trim off all the excess.
8. When the filler is fully hard, sand off any last excrescences and stick the felt back on. Voila!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS you may note another useful adaptall trick in the pics: old canon fd caps work well - with a little trimming off the edge - as tamron mount end caps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Marcus.
Thanks for this splendid tip.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some time upriver yesterday and took a couple of images with the Tamron 60-300.
This was taken at about 150mm or so.
Pentax K10-D

Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully captured!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kNikS wrote:
Beautifully captured!

+1 - really lovely scene

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice photo with a very good lens. I've been using 23As for about 27 years. Just a solid good lens with a very useful 5x zoom range.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

Very nice picture. How did you get the dragonfly to stay still when you took the shot? When used in the macro mode, it front element is so close, it will sure scare away any critters

Thoses dragonflies do not scare about us, i was surprised ! Usually, it is impossible to reach them about 80cm, but thoses ones were shot about 20 !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tripod mounts for adaptall lenses Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Apropos tripod mounts from China for adaptall 23A etc...
As is they are just about spot on to fit around the 01F TC. Pic also shows one modded to fit 19AH 70-210mm, which like the 23A zooms in moving out. This is also same size for 300mm 54B.
So that mount would fit the Tamron 300mm (54b) without modification?
Interesting ... btw, there was a Tamron tripod mount on ebay a few days ago, ended now :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130992016966?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tripod mounts for adaptall lenses Reply with quote

norland wrote:
So that mount would fit the Tamron 300mm (54b) without modification?
Interesting ... btw, there was a Tamron tripod mount on ebay a few days ago, ended now :

19AH/54B approx 62mm dia. The common chinese TM I mod is 66mm aprox ID. So mod like I do, or leather packing etc is nomally sufficient.

I have found that the original tamron TM's go for £10-20 which is more than I want to pay.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for US eBayers who might have a use for that tripod mount. There's a bunch of 'em there, ranging in price from about $6 to about $10. I did a search on "tripod mount canon 70-200mm f/4 EF" to find them. Without the quotes. Interestingly enough, my search picked up an orignail Canon mount that these are copies of. BIN price? A hundred bux.

Typical -- this particular one is being shipped from Orange County, CA -- but others are coming from China which means a wait time of as long as a month:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real struggle last night to get enough light to shoot by, and no flash photography allowed - so ISO 1600 - where the Pentax K-10D maxes out.
Monopod assist - tripod was out of the question as the hall was packed for the concert.
Here ya go ..........
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, chasing birds with a manual focus lens and poor light is not for the faint hearted.
I am disappointed with today's shoot. One of the better ones
ISO 800 1/90sec and wide open aperture
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I was once again at Montlhéry Autodrome today/
This time I have tested this lens on dynamic...

Good lens Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! You were shooting with the right shutter speed for motorsports, too.The wheels are blurred nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Nice track action!

These are from my last outing with the 23A in Spring. 1/800-1/1600 sec. trying my best to keep up with them. Nearly all are at 300mm.

LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC06633 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC06783 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC06935 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC07305 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC07673 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC07815 by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see this post before. O_O
Stunning photo of the dragonfly, is not common to see.
VNG555 and Nelson... outstanding use of this lens!
Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some great airshow shots. I've taken my 23A to many airshows and auto races. Here are a few:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you love thoses pictures since i turned sick shooting them under the rain Smile (the shame it was not purple Sad )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

Nice ones Michael!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with 200mm?, you may be underestimating the size of these things perhaps? Or I am totally on the wrong track.

About any bug detects only rapid movements, so move very calmly and they literally cannot see you.

This is also useful for killing flies and mosquitos.