Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Lincoln on Tuesday to watch my football team , Bolton Wanderers play Lincoln City .

I decided to make an afternoon of it and take some photos in the beautiful city .

My wife told me have a look at charity shops while you are there , you might get lucky ...

Here is what I came back with...

konica hexanon 40mm f1.8
£10.00

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC 135mm, f3.5
£15.00

Petri 135mm F3.5 MC
£1.49 (Yes £1.49)

I visually and manually checked them in the shops and they all seemed ok .

I went off to the football all excited , thinking I had bagged a bargain. I was particularly exited about the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC 135mm, f3.5 as I read some reviews after purchasing and they were all positive .

Next morning I was showing my purchases to the wife and to my dismay the focus ring on the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC 135mm, f3.5 would not rotate from about 12 feet to infinity . I was sure it did in the shop . It turns smoothly and then abruptly stops .

I've trawled the internet looking for tips on how to fix the issue , but the one link I found was no longer valid .

Any tips would be welcome 😀

Oh and the football was a disaster, we lost 5 - 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
stevemark wrote:

If you don't mind converting your lens into a "manual aperture lens" you simply push down the pin mentioned above, and glue it in postition (with a tiny amount of superglue). That said, it's really a pity the adapter manufacturer didn't copy the Mamiya solution found on Mamiya ZE/ZE-X/ZM cameras. It is very simple and would have allowed the use of Mamiya CS lenses ...

S

I would use a bit of sticky tape or something similar in order not to have the conversion irreversible.

it would appear i'm wrong on multiple accounts - it seems someone is now making an aperture-controlling CS adapter, but it's a bit expensive for my tastes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-NC1000-Sears-Auto-CS-1000MXB-lens-onto-Sony-E-mount-Adapter-with-aperture/202862738488

but i suppose if more CS lenses turn up, i will consider it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
konica hexanon 40mm f1.8
£10.00

I can't help you with your Sonnar problem (you might try asking in the equipment repairs forum), but the Hexanon 40 is a really nice little lens. I like it for landscapes primarily, because it's very sharp. The price you paid is about right. It's an excellent value for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

I can't help you with your Sonnar problem (you might try asking in the equipment repairs forum), but the Hexanon 40 is a really nice little lens. I like it for landscapes primarily, because it's very sharp. The price you paid is about right. It's an excellent value for the money.

Thanks for the tip and advice .
I will nip over to the repairs forum 😀

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not MF but film era ultra wide Cosina 19-35mm

Cosina 19-35mm 1:3.5-4.5 MC by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2020 begins.

It was quite filthy when I got it. I've cleaned it up so it's usable, at least. It's mechanically sound, luckily. The glass looks good too except for a couple little spots on the front element, like tiny scuffs. I've only seen them impact images in the bubble bokeh - which, incidentally, is superb:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Yashinon DX 80-160/4 from somewhere around 1968. There's not a lot in the way of online mentions for the lens, although there is a lens advertisement here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/6627223609

and an entry in the lens DB website:

https://lens-db.com/yashica-auto-yashinon-dx-80-160mm-f4/

It's not the best zoom of all time, but in actual fact pretty competent for 1968, with CAs very well controlled at the image edge compared to ther zooms from the same era. This copy has a very stiff aperture mechanism, to which I added a stiffer spring, which did not entirely cure the problem, but it's usable. I also cleaned a small fungus patch successfully.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more zooms in an auction (it was about the 24-50 to me, the 70-210 I already had though this one looks much better)

SMC Pentax-A 24-50mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-A 24-50mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rare sigma 400mm f5.6 mirror. A mint one too with case.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica Yashinon 5.5cm f1.8 for Pentimatic, I already have the 3.5cm f2.8 and 10cm f2.8, the 3.5cm being one of my most loved lenses, I have been wanting the 5.5cm and a few other long lenses that go with them.
I have been looking for the 5.5cm for a while and they do seem to come up often enough, but are usually too pricey, found one cheap enough but has something like fungus in the rear cell, I took the chance that I could clean it, well the cell does come out, but I can't separate the elements for some reason, poo.
Then a week later another one popped up for sale that was way cheaper than the first one, it just cleared customs and should be here within the week, fingers crossed that it has no issues with the rear cell or the rest of the lens that can't be fixed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5cm-1-8-yashica-lens-/164012184664

I did try to make it a stepless aperture, but the way they designed it it's not optimal, I removed the detent ball and put it back together after attempting to clean the rear cell, it was stepless, but there was an interior spring that pulled on the aperture mechanism, so it always wanted to stop down, only the viscosity of the grease held it open, also the ease of opening up the aperture was slightly harder than stopping down(again the internal spring), so I opened it up again and removed the spring, I tested it before I completed assembly and found that the lens would stop down but not open up, the spring was the only thing that connected the aperture to the aperture ring so I had to reconnect it, again, poo. The detent isn't that strong and it's fairly smooth, unlike my Konica AR lenses, so I can live with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

on my to-do list for this year

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:

on my to-do list for this year

If it is as good as my son's Sigma 600mm f8, it will be very good indeed
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Yashica Yashinon 5.5cm f1.8 ...

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Yashica Yashinon 5.5cm f1.8 ...

Like 1

+1
I have a chrome version. I have not used it much, but it seems like a nice lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ Aus Jena Prakticar 50mm 1.8 (PB-bayonet).
Was sitting on a Praktica B200 that works, at least on mechanical 1/90 (no battery yet).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AiS 2/24mm, a nice complement my set of fast MF Nikkors ...

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked my 9cm Elmar so much I picked up one of these:

It's pretty rough on the outside, and it's clearly been opened and re-greased. The glass is excellent, however, and it shoots great. The sharpness is truly impressive for a 135 from 1960. A winner for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
It's pretty rough on the outside, and it's clearly been opened and re-greased. The glass is excellent, however, and it shoots great. The sharpness is truly impressive for a 135 from 1960. A winner for sure.

Congrats! That's indeed a very excellent lens. My most favorite 135mm lens. I haven't seen any better one yet, only faster ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Yashica Yashinon 5.5cm f1.8 for Pentimatic, I already have the 3.5cm f2.8 and 10cm f2.8, the 3.5cm being one of my most loved lenses, I have been wanting the 5.5cm and a few other long lenses that go with them.
I have been looking for the 5.5cm for a while and they do seem to come up often enough, but are usually too pricey, found one cheap enough but has something like fungus in the rear cell, I took the chance that I could clean it, well the cell does come out, but I can't separate the elements for some reason, poo.
Then a week later another one popped up for sale that was way cheaper than the first one, it just cleared customs and should be here within the week, fingers crossed that it has no issues with the rear cell or the rest of the lens that can't be fixed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5cm-1-8-yashica-lens-/164012184664

I did try to make it a stepless aperture, but the way they designed it it's not optimal, I removed the detent ball and put it back together after attempting to clean the rear cell, it was stepless, but there was an interior spring that pulled on the aperture mechanism, so it always wanted to stop down, only the viscosity of the grease held it open, also the ease of opening up the aperture was slightly harder than stopping down(again the internal spring), so I opened it up again and removed the spring, I tested it before I completed assembly and found that the lens would stop down but not open up, the spring was the only thing that connected the aperture to the aperture ring so I had to reconnect it, again, poo. The detent isn't that strong and it's fairly smooth, unlike my Konica AR lenses, so I can live with it.

Lovely lenses the Yashicas, i have a 55mm f1.8 but of the DX line, one of the most beautiful lenses imo, very nice optically too. For the stepless aperture, try to put a bit of good electrical tape between the aperture ring and the lens, cut to measure and placed over the detents usually works, this will create just enough friction to overcome the pull of the spring, it will also remove the play of the aperture ring due to the lack of the spring loaded ball bearing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only two new so far in '20...

an SMC A 20mm f2.8, and a Chinon MCM 55mm f1.7 Macro...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
KEO wrote:

Congrats! That's indeed a very excellent lens. My most favorite 135mm lens. I haven't seen any better one yet, only faster ones.

Like 1 small

When Spring rolls around I'm going to give it a run against my AiS Nikkor 135 2.8. I suspect it will fare well despite the aperture differences.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the occasional exstatic evaluations of Tomioka products, it is not much of a surprise, that Yashica, who bought Tomioka had sucess with their designs (which continued after they started making Contax optics on licence from Zeiss).

p.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Rokkor PG 50mm 1.4 in very dirty shape, some fungus behind first element, hopefully will clean well,it was to cheap to let it go. I thought I've gotten too many 50 ....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 180mm f/5.5