Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Minolfan wrote:
The rare and humble Minolta Rokkor TD 45mm 2.8 pancake lens from 1964.
Sitting on a Minolta SR-1 that still works (except light leaks and not working selftimer).

Interesting!!

Can you share some images?

S

Sorry
I have to confess that I have forgotten how to display a picture here. Embarassed

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20191317@N06/49374534621/sizes/z/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/20191317@N06/49374534671/sizes/z/

The lens is a simple tessar type with frontcell focusing. MFD is a disappointing 0.9m!

As thick as the Pentax 40mm 2.8, a lot more modern ofcourse, lens with 5/4 construction and normal focusing.

Aad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/4 Flektogon - £1.45 + p&p - some days you just get lucky Wink

The white "speckling" is a "feature" of these lenses ... apparently it causes no problems Smile

That is a bargain!

And i can vouch for the speckling not being an issue. My zebra 50/4 is the same and it shoots fine..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I don't think that there is any such thing as a bad Pancolar.
Your image is simply wonderful.
Congratulations
T

Until you get a 49mm uv filter stuck to it that is...

So how good are those filter removal tools?? 😂

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax's first zoom and it is big.

Super-Takumar-Zoom 70-150mm 1:4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

including CFD reducing attachment lens:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

FWIW, I use two rubber balloons to grip the filter and lens. That technique has never failed so far!

If it still sticks, squeeze it a bit to bust the threads loose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolleinar MC 85/2.8

I bought it a few days ago, I will use it with my Fuji X-T20 but I don't have the adapter yet. I want to use it to make portraits, I usually used SMC Pentax-M 50 mm f/1.7 and Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-T 100 mm f/2.8.
I did not know the Rolleinar brand but online I discovered that these lenses were derived from the Zeiss ones. Hope to try it soon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
I did not know the Rolleinar brand but online I discovered that these lenses were derived from the Zeiss ones.

AFAIK This lens is made by Mamiya for Rollei and no Zeiss design. No bad lens though!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
AFAIK This lens is made by Mamiya for Rollei and no Zeiss design. No bad lens though!

Ok Wink
I read that it was a cheaper edition of the Carl Zeiss Sonnar HFT 85mm f / 2.8, probably wrong information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
Minolfan wrote:

Ok Wink
I read that it was a cheaper edition of the Carl Zeiss Sonnar HFT 85mm f / 2.8, probably wrong information.

I don't have the original price information but I've also heard the same thing. So it is correct I think.
But rather than cheaper "editions" the Rolleinar branding was a cheaper alternative.
When it comes to performance they are good lenses. I have the Rolleinar 135mm f/2.8 from Mamiya.

In a test I did it beat both a Hexanon 135mm 3.2 and X-Fujinon 135mm 3.5 that are said to be very good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

TurtleSkinny wrote:

As from 1977 until final closure of camera production 1981 all lenses called "Rolleinar AR" have been developed and produced either by Mamiya or Tokina in Japan.
The Rollei/Voigtländer lens production ended early 1977 in Singapore.
Rollei ceased to exist 1982 after 80 years in production.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this:

In a joint venture with Zeiss, Rollei developed the multi coating called "HFT" which meant "High Fidelity Transfer" whose optical performance was very similar to Zeiss's "Multi Coating T *". The Carl Zeiss optics called "HFT" were therefore Zeiss optics produced under license by Rollei with the addition of the "HFT" coating.
In 1972 Rollei began its production of Rolleinar lenses under the Carl Zeiss license and this was done in the Voigtländer optical factory in Brunswick in Germany, which at the time had been acquired by Zeiss and Rollei. Other lenses in the same series, however, were built by Mamiya in Japan and this explains the reason why some carry the wording "Made in Japan" and others "Made in Germany".

My lens is "Made in Japan"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
I read this:

In a joint venture with Zeiss, Rollei developed the multi coating called "HFT" which meant "High Fidelity Transfer" whose optical performance was very similar to Zeiss's "Multi Coating T *". The Carl Zeiss optics called "HFT" were therefore Zeiss optics produced under license by Rollei with the addition of the "HFT" coating.
In 1972 Rollei began its production of Rolleinar lenses under the Carl Zeiss license and this was done in the Voigtländer optical factory in Brunswick in Germany, which at the time had been acquired by Zeiss and Rollei. Other lenses in the same series, however, were built by Mamiya in Japan and this explains the reason why some carry the wording "Made in Japan" and others "Made in Germany".

My lens is "Made in Japan"

Well, that's obviously a simplified version of the story. It was a little bit more complicated. The whole story can be found in either the Rollei- or Voigtländer-Report books published by Claus Prochnow.
However, all lenses made in Japan are either from Mamiya or from Tokina. The 85mm lens is from Mamiya.

BTW, there are many stories on the internet. Some are better and some are worse. Claus Prochnow was working for Rollei until the very end and he had access to all the original documentation from the development department. I therefore consider his books as the only true source for the Rollei and Voigtländer history.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Well, that's obviously a simplified version of the story. It was a little bit more complicated.

On Rolleinar lenses I found little information online, why?
Did they produce few lenses? Was it a commercial failure?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
On Rolleinar lenses I found little information online, why?
Did they produce few lenses? Was it a commercial failure?

Rollei bought the whole Voigtländer company from the Zeiss trust for the production of their 35mm cameras and lenses. Up to this date Voigtländer operated independently and constructed and built their own lenses.
Under Rollei ownership Voigtländer ceased their own lens designs and bought the licences from Zeiss. Most probably this was part of the deal between Rollei and Zeiss.
Not even the transfer of production from Braunschweig/Germany to Singapore was commercially successful hence they stopped the lens production and bought from Mamiya and Tokina. That was finally the end of the game. Bankruptcy 1982.

I don't know about the production quantities in Singapore, nor how many lenses have been acquired from Mamiya and Tokina in their final stage.

Maybe you can find some information about your 85/2.8 lens under the Mamiya branding. It's identical to the Mamiya Sekor one from the same period. The lens is a 4/4 design looking like this (scan out of my book):

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
I don't think that there is any such thing as a bad Pancolar.
Your image is simply wonderful.
Congratulations
T

Until you get a 49mm uv filter stuck to it that is...

I've got a couple of the plastic "horse-shoe" or "omega" shaped devices https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Lens-Filter-Wrench-Removal-Tools-Spanner-Pliers-49mm-52mm-55mm-58mm-FO/162608489296?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 that work very well indeed for very little money!

Before I bought these I'd been known to remove the glass in the filter then distort the filter-rim with a pair of pliers until it came free ... not ideal, but better than leaving a scratched filter on an otherwise good lens. Usually the lens had taken a bump, thereby distorting the filter sufficiently to jam it in place, but it did protect the lens!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tb_a : Thanks for all this information Happy Dog

Is there a topic on the forum where I can describe my collection and receive opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well speaking of mamiya-sekor stuff, a cautionary tale: i saw a mamiya nc1000 camera with mamiya-sekor cs 50mm f/1.4 for $20 and thought, what a bargain! how did nobody notice this was a 50/1.4? etc etc..

but, i hadn't done my homework, and as the old hands will know (and other threads detail), mamiya CS-mount lenses can't be properly adapted!
i bought a Mamiya E adapter, and the lens does fit up but doesn't lock into place, but more importantly: due to a design quirk in the CS design, there is no mechanical connection between the aperture ring and the aperture! it's provided by the camera, and the adapter doesn't have it (tho it will supposedly work for Mamiya ZE lenses, so now i need one of those).

so i can mostly mount it up, but i have to shoot wide open, and the lens wants to come out.

it's not a total loss tho, the camera itself seems to be in good working order, so i might finally get around to shooting some film, just to see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
well speaking of mamiya-sekor stuff, a cautionary tale: i saw a mamiya nc1000 camera with mamiya-sekor cs 50mm f/1.4 for $20 and thought, what a bargain! how did nobody notice this was a 50/1.4? etc etc..

but, i hadn't done my homework, and as the old hands will know (and other threads detail), mamiya CS-mount lenses can't be properly adapted!
i bought a Mamiya E adapter, and the lens does fit up but doesn't lock into place, but more importantly: due to a design quirk in the CS design, there is no mechanical connection between the aperture ring and the aperture! it's provided by the camera, and the adapter doesn't have it (tho it will supposedly work for Mamiya ZE lenses, so now i need one of those).

so i can mostly mount it up, but i have to shoot wide open, and the lens wants to come out.

it's not a total loss tho, the camera itself seems to be in good working order, so i might finally get around to shooting some film, just to see.

I have also ordered an adapter and some SX lenses, including 50/1.4, but have not tried it yet. AFAIR I paid three times more than you for the lens alone. You are lucky. )
AFAIK there is a button (or a peg) on the rear of the SX lenses (the part facing the mirror).
If you can press and fix it you can control the aperture with the aperture ring.
The build quality of the lenses is fantastic though. They are among the smallest SLR lenses that I know, in the same class as OM Zuikos and Pentax-M and they are built very solid and substantial. Truly little gems. I hope they perform as well as they are constructed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
Rolleinar MC 85/2.8

I bought it a few days ago, I will use it with my Fuji X-T20 but I don't have the adapter yet. I want to use it to make portraits, I usually used SMC Pentax-M 50 mm f/1.7 and Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-T 100 mm f/2.8.
I did not know the Rolleinar brand but online I discovered that these lenses were derived from the Zeiss ones. Hope to try it soon

I recently bought the same lens but under Voigtlander brand. Haven't tried it yet as I sold my A7 intending to buy A7 II or A7 III

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
TurtleSkinny wrote:
Minolfan wrote:

Ok Wink

I don't have the original price information but I've also heard the same thing. So it is correct I think.
But rather than cheaper "editions" the Rolleinar branding was a cheaper alternative.
When it comes to performance they are good lenses. I have the Rolleinar 135mm f/2.8 from Mamiya.

In a test I did it beat both a Hexanon 135mm 3.2 and X-Fujinon 135mm 3.5 that are said to be very good.

I wonder if it can beat X-Fujinon 135mm f2.5 which I find superior in comparison to 3.5 version Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

i bought a Mamiya E adapter, and the lens does fit up but doesn't lock into place, but more importantly: due to a design quirk in the CS design, there is no mechanical connection between the aperture ring and the aperture!

1) Sorry, but you are wrong: The CS lenses do have a mechanical connection between aperture ring and aperture itself, however the E lenses do not!

2) You are right in having observed that your Mamiya E-mount adapter allows you close the aperture of Mamiya E/EF lenses, but not of Mamiya CS lenses.

Why?

You can stop down your Mamiya E-lenses ONLY by turning the additional aperture ring on the adapter. This in turn moves the aperture lever on the Sekor E lens mount, which in turn open/closes the aperture.
When you mount a CS lens on a Mamyia SLR, the aperture is opened/closed (to the value selected with the lens aperture ring) by pushing a small pin on the lens mount. You can try this easily when checking the lens alone; thus there IS a mechanical connection between aperture ring and aperture itself on all Mamiya CS lenses.

I hope you can understand what i tried to explain; sadly my English is not as good as my Swiss German would be ...

benadamx wrote:

it's provided by the camera, and the adapter doesn't have it (tho it will supposedly work for Mamiya ZE lenses, so now i need one of those).

If you don't mind converting your lens into a "manual aperture lens" you simply push down the pin mentioned above, and glue it in postition (with a tiny amount of superglue). That said, it's really a pity the adapter manufacturer didn't copy the Mamiya solution found on Mamiya ZE/ZE-X/ZM cameras. It is very simple and would have allowed the use of Mamiya CS lenses ...

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
I recently bought the same lens but under Voigtlander brand. Haven't tried it yet as I sold my A7 intending to buy A7 II or A7 III

I will use it on APSC, let me know the full frame performance Wink

Manichaean wrote:
I wonder if it can beat X-Fujinon 135mm f2.5 which I find superior in comparison to 3.5 version Smile

I can't answer because I don't have an X-Fujinon 135mm f2.5 Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

If you don't mind converting your lens into a "manual aperture lens" you simply push down the pin mentioned above, and glue it in postition (with a tiny amount of superglue). That said, it's really a pity the adapter manufacturer didn't copy the Mamiya solution found on Mamiya ZE/ZE-X/ZM cameras. It is very simple and would have allowed the use of Mamiya CS lenses ...

S

I would use a bit of sticky tape or something similar in order not to have the conversion irreversible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleSkinny wrote:
Manichaean wrote:

I will use it on APSC, let me know the full frame performance Wink

I will but some time in the future. At the moment the weather is gloomy where I am and will be for other 3 months or so. So, I plan to wait a while with buying the new camera and the price can go down further Smile

Quote:

I can't answer because I don't have an X-Fujinon 135mm f2.5 Sad

It's quite a rare lens (well, all X-Fujinons apart from 50-s are), but you can also try much more common X-Fujinar 135mm f2.8 It is made not by Fujifilm but by Komine but it is not bad as well. And it usually costs peanuts. Also Fujinar 28mm f2.8 is a Komine lens in Fuji disguise, equally inexpensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
[...] you can also try much more common X-Fujinar 135mm f2.8 [...]

I already have a Minolta MC-X Tele Rokkor 135 mm f/2.8, I have no plans to buy another 135mm Smile