Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fire in the Sand Pool
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Fire in the Sand Pool Reply with quote

I found this sand pool interesting, in that it reflected the blue in the sky above, yet out on the horizon the sunset was producing a differing cadre of colors.

No saturation changes made, although the Velvia sure adds its own saturation. Shocked This was very close to true colors of one of the most deeply colorful sunsets I've seen.

Yashica Mat
Velvia

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, Larry, that is one gorgeous capture! The reflections in the pool, the
waves coming in towards the strand, and that wonderful sky!

Well caught! (This should be published, somewhere!)

Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry!

Another superb landscape from your nice area!.
That's what I call a perfect composition, precise focusing, immaculate saturation... A perfect shot,
Thanks for sharing and for showing the real Yashica Mat capabilities!

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shot Larry! Another very relaxing photo.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys. I wish the darker areas had more elements showing, but the Yashica Mat is limited in that it's difficult to use any graduated neutral density filter. In this case, the GND wouldn't have been useful anyway because of the bands of light.

I suppose I could use some kind of image editor to "process" the shadows, but I would rather just let the bright colors that were present show their own tones. Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous is the right word.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous sunset Laurence, like flying on a painting

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, dramatic. And they say air pollution has no upside.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, THANKS all of you! It was nice being there, and would have been nice WITHOUT a camera. It lasted quite a while, too.

Farside, you hit the nail on the head. This was the remnants of the dust storm in the Taklah Mahan desert in China and Mongolia, and the westerly trade winds blew it right onto the peninsula, since that area is almost directly across the big pond (Pacific Ocean) from us. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Wow, THANKS all of you! It was nice being there, and would have been nice WITHOUT a camera. It lasted quite a while, too.

Farside, you hit the nail on the head. This was the remnants of the dust storm in the Taklah Mahan desert in China and Mongolia, and the westerly trade winds blew it right onto the peninsula, since that area is almost directly across the big pond (Pacific Ocean) from us. Shocked

I recall that for a good while after Mt St Helens popped its cork, there were dramatic sunsets over here, and much further afield. The Krakatoa effect - Victorians wrote about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Laurence wrote:

I recall that for a good while after Mt St Helens popped its cork, there were dramatic sunsets over here, and much further afield. The Krakatoa effect - Victorians wrote about it.

Yes, Mt. Saint Helens' plume went to the northeast, because of prevalent southwesterly winds (meaning the winds came from the southwest). Sand Point, Idaho - Billings Montana - Glacier National Park - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - all reported ultra-dramatic sunsets.

Interestingly, I was a Shi Shi Beach when we heard the explosion. This was heard, even though we were close to the noisy surf. There were two "artillery style" booms, followed by a sort of "swooshing boom" sound. We thought maybe the military was doing some kind of practice, until we got back to the automobile radio. Interesting that we were probably 200 miles from Saint Helens.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good one, quite apocalyptic. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very spectacular sunset!

The pool looks like a portal to an alternate world - very surreal.

As alway the reflections you catch are amazing!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I remember the day St Helens blew. I was driving across the long
bridge at Pend Oreille river from Sandpoint (not Sand Point) when suddenly
it looked like a dark curtain was pulled across the sky! Will never forget
that day, and it was 28 years ago.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding shot!