Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 135 Zebra - Advice on 2nd chance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 135 Zebra - Advice on 2nd chance Reply with quote

I've just been given a 2nd chance offer of one of these on the fray.

The listing was rather vague and the seller has 100% rating but only 15 references. With this in mind I kept my bidding low. The bidding ended last night but I've been given the opportunity to buy it for my max bid of £22 +£8 P&P.

I already have a CZJ 135 which I'm impressed with. If you already had a good 135 would you add this one for its bokeh quality?

I've never had a 2nd chance offer before. How do these happen and should I be suspicious?

I appreciate that this is very subjective but I'm in between and looking for opinions to tip the scales.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give you any info on the lens, but I have had several 2nd chance offers on eBay & went through with all but one of them...Never had a problem with them either. Most times, the seller has had the original buyer back out & rather than going thru the hassle of re-listing, offers the second chance...As long as he has feedback that he has I'd go with it if I really wanted the item.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that price isn't very high too..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good price for normal condition item.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 135mm Zebra have best bokeh from all 135mm lenses what I ever seen.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra_exa-010.jpg.html
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra_exa-009.jpg.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is not exagerated if the lens is in good condition . This lens is becoming a "very sought after " one . I prefer it among an half-dozen of 135mm , including czj 135 and j-11. So , why not ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pentacon 135mm Zebra have best bokeh from all 135mm lenses what I ever seen.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra_exa-010.jpg.html
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra_exa-009.jpg.html

better than the tair-11a?

if i wanted a 135mm class lens solely for the bokeh, is the pentacon/meyer 135 the best bet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , for me this is the best one , better than any other what I tested.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, do you have a photo of an out-of-focus point light source with the Meyer/Pentacon?

Is there any common-ish lens that doesn't produce bright-outline OOF highlights?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this sample.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
Attila, do you have a photo of an out-of-focus point light source with the Meyer/Pentacon?

Is there any common-ish lens that doesn't produce bright-outline OOF highlights?

Is this what you are looking for ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two pics with the Meyer Orestor 135/2.8 also:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those look good!

but i've noticed that the "hardest" bright-edge bokeh appears when you have point light sources like bulbs or a bright reflection and you defocus it. many of the lenses i've tried show a hard edge wide-open..

i posted this here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/highlight-bokeh-of-some-lenses-t12595.html

i'm interested to see what the OOF bright highlights (from a point source) look like on the tair-11 and meyer/pentacon 135.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 135 Zebra - Advice on 2nd chance Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've just been given a 2nd chance offer of one of these on the fray.

The listing was rather vague and the seller has 100% rating but only 15 references. With this in mind I kept my bidding low. The bidding ended last night but I've been given the opportunity to buy it for my max bid of £22 +£8 P&P.

I already have a CZJ 135 which I'm impressed with. If you already had a good 135 would you add this one for its bokeh quality?

I've never had a 2nd chance offer before. How do these happen and should I be suspicious?

I appreciate that this is very subjective but I'm in between and looking for opinions to tip the scales.

Thanks

It may be a fair price to pay for that item, but you're all missing the point of what an auction is all about. The highest bidder wins the item, if that highest bidder wasn't there then the second highest bidder would have won it, but at a lower level where he outbid the next highest bidder. Thats the price that should be paid for the item on a second chance offer.

I guess the seller has the option to re-list in the hope of getting a better price, even if you're prepared to pay 22pds you should first offer the lower price first, as your top bid would never have been exposed if the defaulting bidder hadn't gone and messed up the auction in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 135 Zebra - Advice on 2nd chance Reply with quote

Ironfan wrote:

It may be a fair price to pay for that item, but you're all missing the point of what an auction is all about. The highest bidder wins the item, if that highest bidder wasn't there then the second highest bidder would have won it, but at a lower level where he outbid the next highest bidder. Thats the price that should be paid for the item on a second chance offer.

I guess the seller has the option to re-list in the hope of getting a better price, even if you're prepared to pay 22pds you should first offer the lower price first, as your top bid would never have been exposed if the defaulting bidder hadn't gone and messed up the auction in the first place.

Exactly, and it's not unknown for the seller to shill bid then offer to the "runner up", knowing full well many people will cough up their max, instead of what they really should pay. Ebay's system is at fault here and just encourages shills.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: How did you do that effect? Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Here are two pics with the Meyer Orestor 135/2.8 also:

Hi Spotmatic, how did you the transparent effect in the inner side of the frame?

Sorry to ask if this is a secret of yours... thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this now 5 years later. Maybe somebody needs still a answer: you can just copy the photo and make it bigger and drop it behind the smaller one, and drop down the opacity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh - Zombie thread, and another of mine. I don't remember this one.

Anyway, I ended up with 2 of these a few months later; one for 5gbp, which I sold when I bought a minty with original hood for 8gbp.