Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are the biggest bargains you have LOST?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really say I lost it but here's a bargain someone else got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221626436320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quality zoom lens but I considered that I lost it because I stopped using it. It's sitting on a shelf in a sealed plastic bag right now.
The lens was owned by a smoker, perhaps a very heavy smoker. The smell of cigarette's smoke was deep in the rubber grip, in the plastic. Each time I used it, it took me a while to wash the smell off my hand after.
No offense to smokers. I was once a heavy smoker, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikono wrote:
I got a quality zoom lens but I considered that I lost it because I stopped using it. It's sitting on a shelf in a sealed plastic bag right now.
The lens was owned by a smoker, perhaps a very heavy smoker. The smell of cigarette's smoke was deep in the rubber grip, in the plastic. Each time I used it, it took me a while to wash the smell off my hand after.

I once received a lens that someone wiped with some some sort of odor-masking cleaner - it had this super-annoying laundry smell - "mountain freshness", "cool breeze" or whatever bs name marketing people gave. Drove me nuts. I tried everything. In the end, I peeled off the grip and hanged it outside on the sunny side of the house for the entire warm season. After 5 months the stench was gone Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikono wrote:

Extended exposure to fresh air and sunlight can help get rid of this smell.
Worth a try - even if it takes all summer.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
I lose eBay auctions all the time. The most difficult losses come when only one bidder outbids me. That happens too often.

But my toughest loss came with an auction I actually WON! Here is the story:

I was doing my early morning scans, as usual, of the many e-mails from eBay that come in early every day. I saw a brand new Tamron 01A at a really good "Buy It Now" price. I could scarcely believe my eyes!! That's a lens I target. Finding a new one, at any price, is amazing. The BIN price was quite reasonable, considering. While the auction listed the lens as brand new, the photos showed only the box and a lens wrapped in a Tamron-imprinted plastic bag - the original packaging.

I bought the lens instantly. The seller had good (100%) feedback. I was thrilled to be able to buy that item new. Heck, when I can get a 01A even in good used shape it's a great day.

Fast forward several days and the lens is delivered. Opened the package and it was a dirty, old, heavily used, 01A!!!! It was a disaster.

Contacted seller who had sold lens on a "no returns" basis. Seller said he had never looked at the lens. First he denied a return privilege. Then, later, he allowed return, but only at my expense. It cost me over $8, and a lot of time, to ship that piece of junk back. Thank goodness most eBay sellers are not jerks like that guy was!

I surely wish somebody else had seen that lens before me, but I was early. Sometimes the early bird ends up with a rotten worm.

Comming second is indeed a pain. Especially when the bid entered was as a marker, and the intension was to return near the end of the auction. This has happened to me many times and I've lost out because I forgot to check that evening, or the auction has been ended early...
The only consolation in comming second is the winner may have bid vastly more than you we're willing to pay & got a bargain.

With your Tamron, you should have raised a not as described case against them. I've had a lens that came out very different to the description and IMO the lens value was less than the return postage. The seller was unreasonable about returns, so the case got escalated, then when E-bay found in my favor they got me a full refund & paid the returns postage for me. The 'no returns' basis has no standing if the goods are clearly not as described.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I just lost Trioplan 100 for €100 just for checking its condition or if it's not a sick joke. Obviously, the item was gone just after refreshing site. What a stupid idiot I am. Might have stopped attending my job for a week Very Happy !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this DALLMEYER lens. I don't know why I don't click the BIN button ASAP. Laugh 1
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpa Kern-Macro-Switar 50 f1.8, 50usd.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been few, but the one still stuck in my mind was from a few months ago...

Estate sale of a wealthy gear hoarder. All sorts of stuff. Cameras....many bodies, two of every lens, one being a spare.
Two near new MTO 1000mm f/10 mirror lens kits, free shipping.
My internet service provider went down minutes before the end of bid, and my last bid didn't reach and it sold for 152.00 USD.
1/3 less than other used models. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
LOL, I just lost Trioplan 100 for �100 just for checking its condition or if it's not a sick joke. Obviously, the item was gone just after refreshing site. What a stupid idiot I am. Might have stopped attending my job for a week Very Happy !

I lost a rare MS Helios-77M couple days ago the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, seeing this thread for the first time:

Had highest bid on the two classical Zeiss 1.4 35mm & 85mm for Rollei QBM in mint condition, both together less than 1000.-€ some yrs ago.

Those bl...dy bast..ds form German DHL lost the parcel!
Shipment was insured for 500.-€, no cent more.
Can You imagine the trouble to recieve even that half money from DHL back?

This is a lost! Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Ha ha, seeing this thread for the first time:

Had highest bid on the two classical Zeiss 1.4 35mm & 85mm for Rollei QBM in mint condition, both together less than 1000.-� some yrs ago.

Those bl...dy bast..ds form German DHL lost the parcel!
Shipment was insured for 500.-�, no cent more.
Can You imagine the trouble to recieve even that half money from DHL back?

This is a lost! Sad

I just cried.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of time I lost auction because I forget about them... last time I lost a rare soviet macro lens Korrektar... it's gone for 7 euros...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one that got away... Olympus OM-3Ti with OM 35-80mm/2.8 lens...for around 200€

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better to don't remind all the losts bargains...

leica summicron 35mm R for 80e
zuiko 50mm 1.2 for 50e
And a lots more

my last catch up : zeiss pc distagon 35mm 2.8 with shift : 310e !! it is in way to me, hope it's in great condition

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today on a fleamarket.
Real bokeh monster
35USD
Just tested

st tested

Cosina Cosinon 50/1.4 M42 Sad
Or maybe next weekend...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually check craigslist when I know I have a trip coming. A week before one island-hopping trip to Hawaii, I spotted a CZ 35mm f/3.4 Skoparex BM for $35. It was on the second stop of our visit, and I emailed the poster that I wanted to check it out. Sadly it sold the day before we got there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget them promptly, those are gone.. I never look back, next one will come.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just missed a (mintish) Minolta MD 85/2 for 20€

The seller posted it to an online classifieds site in the middle of the night (~01:30), I came home in the middle of the night (~03:00) and wanted to check my E-mails before going to bed. I did a quick search for "minolta" on the site (I do that quite often, when I get bored...) and the MD85 was the most recent result. I sent the guy a quick E-mail and went to bed.

I didn't want to annoy the seller in the morning so I called him around 11 but by then he had already sold it (he probably got the phone call before he checked his mail).

Lesson learned: Fuck courtesy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won a Nikkormat with Tokina 80-200/2.8 attached for $50. The seller never shipped.

Won a Canon AE-1 with two 50/1.8, FD 50/1.4, FD 70-210/4 and a bunch of accessories for $25 (local pickup). Next days seller cancelled saying he can't find it.

I am not going to bore you with the stories of stuff I was not fast enough to click on, but it's rife with stuff like $50 Rokkor 24/2.8 and such.

Last edited by Gardener on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay used to be a reliable marketplace with mostly honourable participants.
Nowadays it seems to have spawned a generation of sellers who list cheaply hoping for a big finishing price and if they don't get it they say that they have discovered a problem with the item and send a refund - listing the same thing later.
As for buyers - don't get me started. There are now commonly found buyers who bid and win but then disappear from the landscape without paying. Ebay won't allow sellers to leave negative feedback on these so-and-sos, and they get to do it all over again
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica M4 with Super Angulon 21mm and 21mm viewfinder. usd100.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone sold a bunch of Minolta gear with rather low "Buy now" prices:

Minolta MC 21/2.8 - 90€:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MINOLTA-MC-W-ROKKOR-NL-21-mm-1-2-8-/282022544550

Minolta X-700 with an MD 28/2.0 (the rare 2nd version) - 30€:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Minolta-X-700-35mm-Spiegelreflexkamera-incl-28-mm-1-2-mm-49-mm-incl-Gurt-geb-/282022501578

Minolta MC 50/1.4 - 22€:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MINOLTA-MC-ROKKOR-PG-50-mm-1-1-4-/282022553890

Minolta MC 100/2.5 - 25€:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Minolta-MC-TELE-ROKKOR-100-mm-1-2-5-55-mm-/282022530972

Minolta MD 200/2.8 - 30€:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MINOLTA-TELE-ROKKOR-200-mm-1-2-8-72-mm-/282022517966

Minolta MD 300/4.5 - 30€:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MINOLTA-MD-TELE-ROKKOR-300-mm-1-4-5-72-mm-/282022512661

I came a bit too late, losing out on the MD28/2 really annoys me. I've been looking for one of those for quite a while...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much lost as lost on: I recently bought a set of Minolta AF gear for $90 - unfortunately the original owner saw fit to store 4 out of 5 lenses in ziplock bags and they developed fungus. The fifth has an oily aperture.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A damaged UV Nikkor 105mm, damage was a severly dented filter ring only.
Missed it by a few minutes ... bummer